Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Flying V

Started by kalowski, January 25, 2019, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Flouncer on January 27, 2019, 01:33:32 PM
Daevid Allen used to play a Steinberger guitar in his later years...

They're very compact and stand up to travelling well, and don't weigh much so they're good for people with bad backs. They do look a bugger, though.

[pedant]Well, Technically it's a Hohner, it just has Steinberger licensed bridge[/pedant]

So did Throbbing Gristle

Obviously too much work to get a cheap bass/guitar and cut bits off it these days.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on January 27, 2019, 12:02:37 PM
That's most of New Order's output up to 1986 then.

Nothing wrong with Fender Bass VI types either. I rather irrationaly don't lump them in with the 5 or 6 stringers with their flabby B strings.

Talking about which:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Shergold-Marathon-6-string-Bass-Guitar-original-case-VGC-Made-in-England/163496602158

Nothing wrong with Flying Vs, I have a soft spot for the Flying V II model,

Although I'm apparently the only one that does.

Paul Reed Smith can do one though.

Ferris

Here's my concern with all this - I'm thinking of it from the other side here. What guitars are acceptable? I quite like the odd lunatic and their 9 string guitar shaped like their own anus (or whatever).

Now, I'd never get up to any of that, but it's good to know they're out there keeping it interesting for everyone. Personally, if it's not made by fender or gibson (or epiphone for semi-hollow electrics) it can all get to fuck tbh

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: kalowski on January 27, 2019, 01:14:55 PM
I have a 12-string and it sounds lovely (it's a cheap model but does the job)

12 strings are different.  I love me a good 12 string.

Flouncer

I have a bit of a thing for Gibson harp guitars from the early 1900s - they're pretty useless but amazingly built and sort of beautiful. I'd love to have a fuckabout on one.

Ferris

Reminds me a bit of the Coral 3s19 electric sitar. Might be easier to find (although probably still very difficult)

kidsick5000

easytarget

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 27, 2019, 04:00:09 PM
What guitars are acceptable?

Now, I'd never get up to any of that, but it's good to know they're out there keeping it interesting for everyone. Personally, if it's not made by fender or gibson (or epiphone for semi-hollow electrics) it can all get to fuck tbh
Tele, Jazzmaster (or Jaguar if you have tiny hands) and SG.
Outside of Fender and Gibson - Dunable make some incredible looking guitars:

Westone's Thunder series guitar are also nice (and pretty affordable last time I looked)

Ferris

I'll add "anything made by Danelectro". Used to have a Jaguar but sold it to pay a gas bill. Very sad.

Sherman Krank

What about B.C. Rich's range of comedy-shaped  'METAL' guitars?

Bernie Rico's son Bernie Jr took it even further.

And to top the thread starter, how about their 'Vampire's Tooth' double necked Flying Vee?

Quote from: kalowski on January 27, 2019, 12:20:50 PM
What the hell is the point of that double necked guitar? Two six string guitars? Surely the point of a double neck is to allow a player to have a 12 string and a 6 string at the same time?
The top one is a 12 string. Half the strings are strung from the headstock with the tuning keys at the arse end behind the bridge.

Sherman Krank

I've always had a thing for Lonnie Mack's No.7 (so called because it was the 7th V made by Gibson).

Pauline Walnuts

boki

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on January 27, 2019, 01:06:08 PM
Headless guitars are always a no-no, as are those with more than six strings.  This one manages both.  It may be the worst guitar I've ever seen.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/static/article/news/9/77539_0_wide_ver1532547236.jpg@642

Away wi' ye, the likes of Sarah Longfield and Tosin Abasi have done good work on Strandbergs.  They do look weird, though, I'll grant you that, and extended range instruments in the wrong hands are just a mess.

SteveDave

There's a guitar in a music shop near where I work that has a gun shaped like a revolver. It's truly awful.

It's this:

I'd like to think that pulling the trigger snaps all the strings.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: boki on January 28, 2019, 11:14:27 AM
Away wi' ye, the likes of Sarah Longfield and Tosin Abasi have done good work on Strandbergs.  They do look weird, though, I'll grant you that, and extended range instruments in the wrong hands are just a mess.

I'd never heard of those people so I had a look at a video of her playing.  Not my thing really.  like aural patchouli oil or something.  Tosin Abasi reminded me of snooker: I appreciate the skill but, like a fantastic plumber, I can't understand why anyone would want to watch them doing it.

Mind you, I'm into Donovan, so I'm no-one to talk.

boki

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on January 28, 2019, 11:28:12 AM
I'd never heard of those people so I had a look at a video of her playing.  Not my thing really.  like aural patchouli oil or something.  Tosin Abasi reminded me of snooker: I appreciate the skill but, like a fantastic plumber, I can't understand why anyone would want to watch them doing it.

Mind you, I'm into Donovan, so I'm no-one to talk.
Fair - it's the kind of stuff that leaves many people cold, I just felt like sticking up for some justifiable widdlywanking.

kalowski

Attila

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 26, 2019, 03:23:01 PM
Surely you play with the v over your knee, like a Spanish classical guitar? More of a pain than any of my guitars (Fender Tele custom and an ES-335 if anyone is keeping track)

I have two Flying Vs, both acquired years back (at separate times) second hand. I've also played classical guitar since I was a teen -- holding a V as if it were a classical guitar is quite comfy.

Dave Davies signed one of them for me, about 20 years ago now <3

I bought one of those Hohners off the back of seeing Bowie with Placebo at the Brits - https://youtu.be/G2MAFVgxlEQ

Odd guitars, with a fairly unique voicing on account of them being entirely maple and the pickups each being individually switchable.

I thought the V was well into classic territory now. I can understand the bile towards some of the garish, overly ornate, and metal poser guitars, but assumed the V was fairly inoffensive. They are a bit flash for most players, but I wouldn't automatically rank them in the 'Christ, look at this cunt' category.

I generally try to avoid the 'classics' like the plague though, so what do I know.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Attila on January 28, 2019, 07:55:01 PM
Dave Davies signed one of them for me, about 20 years ago now <3

Yep, the fact that Dave Davies and Hendrix both favoured the Flying V renders it cool for all eternity. There is no further argument to be made.

Ferris

They're cool, but I think you also have to be cool to play one. Look at his fancy little jacket there, he can get away with it. I'd look like a wally though - I guess that's my fear with owning one.

PlanktonSideburns

That it - you have to be as ridiculous as the guitar

Imagine a knitted jumper, or a hawaian shirt with a flying visit for instance

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 30, 2019, 03:53:09 PM
That it - you have to be as ridiculous as the guitar

Imagine a knitted jumper, or a hawaian shirt with a flying visit for instance

I'm not so sure.... mr king here, for example, could probably go in the 'zero fucks' thread with threads like this, & his v:

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on January 30, 2019, 04:02:59 PM
I'm not so sure.... mr king here, for example, could probably go in the 'zero fucks' thread with threads like this, & his v:

That's an interesting exemption - I was trying to imagine a flying visit and a suit when writing that

gilbertharding

Tim Wheeler is about the only modern (I know it's not the 90s anymore, YOU shut up) Flying V user - never sure whether it suited him, or if it looked incongruous. Put him and Ash apart from the meat and potatoes Britpop crowd, anyway.

As for wearing a suit when playing one - Brian Jones might not have ever had a Flying V, but he did play Thunderbirds (normal and non-reverse), and Vox Teardrops.

Bo Diddley - is he the reason we have whacky shaped electric guitars at all?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on January 30, 2019, 02:52:03 PM
I bought one of those Hohners off the back of seeing Bowie with Placebo at the Brits - https://youtu.be/G2MAFVgxlEQ

Not David on Roller skates playing a Steinberger?