Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Flying V

Started by kalowski, January 25, 2019, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: easytarget on January 26, 2019, 06:15:03 AM
Paul Reed Smith is the ultimate guitar for worthless millionaire lawyer dickheads.

Nowhere close. I need to find it again, as we had it in another thread about guitars and I've forgotten the names. It wasn't the original design that made it the ultimate guitar for cunts but the smug arms-manufacturing guy that reissued it.

Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLTncURL6D8

Any chance of that coming with a big D neck profile?

niat

I saw Mutoid Man supporting Mastodon last week and they featured TWO Flying Vs: a guitar for Stephen Brodsky and bass for whoever the bass player is.

True to form, shown up for being a facetious prick!

NoSleep

Clearly (no pun intended) something that has been requested on many occasions. Now being sold as an "innovative guitar experience" rather than a needed fix.

I wondered originally if it was practically flat with the truss rod hovering menacingly behind. It came to mind because I used to chase the flat thin necks a la Ibanez thinking it made me play better. Years later I realised something like the PRS (sorry!) wide fat neck suits me best and the thinner necks I used to play cramp me up like buggery. Hard to imagine that being remotely playable. Is there even a fingerboard or is it all sharp fret ends?

NoSleep

There's no fingerboard, but neither are there sharp frets; they're cylindrical. Similar to a sitar.

kngen

How could I forget this guy?

gilbertharding

Quote from: NoSleep on January 30, 2019, 08:44:51 PM
Nowhere close. I need to find it again, as we had it in another thread about guitars and I've forgotten the names. It wasn't the original design that made it the ultimate guitar for cunts but the smug arms-manufacturing guy that reissued it.

Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLTncURL6D8

There's a man with the surname Gittler? Who's a prick?

Oh, my. Sounds like a Martin Amis character.

NoSleep

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 31, 2019, 02:10:42 PM
There's a man with the surname Gittler? Who's a prick?

Nah... Allan Gittler (who I have no problem with) designed the guitar in the 70's and only 60 were made. It's the smug guy who has resurrected it to shit for cunts heights (see him in the youtube link I posted; kind of a cross between Gale Boetticher and Elliott Schwarz from Breaking Bad.)

kngen

Quote from: NoSleep on January 31, 2019, 02:24:07 PM
Nah... Allan Gittler (who I have no problem with) designed the guitar in the 70's and only 60 were made. It's the smug guy who has resurrected it to shit for cunts heights (see him in the youtube link I posted; kind of a cross between Gale Boetticher and Elliott Schwarz from Breaking Bad.)

Christ, you're not wrong. What an unctuous prick. I flicked through that fairly quickly to see him play the bloody thing, but he doesn't even do that. Instead we get a Dumpy's Rusty Nuts guitar tech playing the flattest, most lifeless soft rock widdling I've heard outside of Denmark St on a Saturday afternoon - and they are fucking SEVEN GRAND!

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 30, 2019, 04:58:16 PM
Tim Wheeler is about the only modern (I know it's not the 90s anymore, YOU shut up) Flying V user - never sure whether it suited him, or if it looked incongruous. Put him and Ash apart from the meat and potatoes Britpop crowd, anyway.

I don't know how I forgot about him- he bought me a packet of cigarettes once, when they'd just arrived in london & he was staying at a mate's place.
nice lad.

easytarget

Quote from: niat on January 31, 2019, 12:43:13 PM
I saw Mutoid Man supporting Mastodon last week and they featured TWO Flying Vs: a guitar for Stephen Brodsky and bass for whoever the bass player is.
When I saw them Brodsky was playing a Dunable Asteroid (which may have drawn some inspiration from the Flying V)

ToneLa

Can't play em sitting down, look cheesy standing up

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My first electric was a flying V. Improved my standard of playing while stood up because it was virtually impossible to practice on sat down. The guitar itself was a piece of shit with a bad action but hey.

They look good, always have, always will

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 03, 2019, 12:29:38 PM
...it was virtually impossible to practice on sat down.

I think this was my immediate thought when I tried playing somebody's. Major design flaw. The ultimate ergonomic guitar shape has to be the Strat (although the Precision Bass was actually the first with this shape).

How is the Flying V's centre of gravity? The Strat is cleverly designed with that fin, that the guitar strap connects to on the left, which perfectly balances the guitar, so that, if you have to let go with both hands, the neck doesn't slide downward as some guitars do that don't have the magic fin.

I guess that the Flying V might possibly overcome this because it sticks out so far to the right of you to counterbalance.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I like them. Obviously they're not for your sensitive singer songwriter types. It's a guitar that says "Look at me. I'm here to rock your socks off!"

All those spiky '80s metal guitars are utterly hideous.

Personally, I don't much care for the Telecaster. I find the design a little bit ugly (and that metal tray thing that the bridge sits in is a knuckle shredding hazard) but it's more about its 'working man's guitar' image. There's a sort of inverse snobbery about it, as if playing anything fancier is just for rich ponces.

buzby

Quote from: NoSleep on February 03, 2019, 12:49:18 PM
The Strat is cleverly designed with that fin, that the guitar strap connects to on the left, which perfectly balances the guitar, so that, if you have to let go with both hands, the neck doesn't slide downward as some guitars do that don't have the magic fin.
The Upper Horn (fnar)

Attila

Speaking of Dave and the Flying V, it's Dave Davies's 72nd birthday, huzzah.

And they are super easy to play when your sat - just hold it like a classical guitar (which is how I play mine).

It's not a versatile guitar, soundwise, but it did clear some hunters off our property one night. We lived pretty deep in the woods and had a hell of a time every autumn with hunters coming onto the property and building deer blinds or setting up camp in what was essentially out back garden. Fuckers would shoot anything that moved, so we had a hell of a time protecting our livestock (I had a little spinning flock).

One autumn afternoon this group of city pricks set up camp clearly within site of our house. We asked them politely to leave; they told us to fuck off. So I waited until they were settled in their tent for the night, then cranked up my amp (a lovely Mesa Boogie) which I'd set up on the back deck of the house facing them. I played this, but very slowly and heavily distorted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeebWgjrrU

Flouncer

Quote from: NoSleep on February 03, 2019, 12:49:18 PM
I think this was my immediate thought when I tried playing somebody's. Major design flaw. The ultimate ergonomic guitar shape has to be the Strat (although the Precision Bass was actually the first with this shape).

Les Pauls are pretty awful to play sitting down - the development of the SG was a step forward in this regard.

a duncandisorderly

browsing yt today & looking at old OGWTs, I realised with a bump that we'd forgotten about this twat, fronting yes-wannabes 'druid' in 1975, with ced sharpley (later of tubeway army) on the skins.

fucking hell- wait 'til he starts singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcdOb5FuQVY

Sherman Krank

Just remembered these exist.

Rizla

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on February 03, 2019, 05:00:20 PM
browsing yt today & looking at old OGWTs, I realised with a bump that we'd forgotten about this twat, fronting yes-wannabes 'druid' in 1975, with ced sharpley (later of tubeway army) on the skins.

fucking hell- wait 'til he starts singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcdOb5FuQVY
Lots to talk about here. Keyboard player needs to sort his rig out, did they not get a soundcheck? They seem awfully nervous, fair dos. But they're so gash. Debut album produced by Whisperin' Bob, although he was replaced for the second album, Fluid Druid.

Fluid Druid.

Nice Hayman kit, same gold wrap my dad's one had, a 1975 set. I used to have the thing that's on the mellotron, a rebadged Crumar piano called a TravelPiano, it too was made 1975. Presumably they got a load of brand new gear with the prize money, fair dos.

Sorry, started turning into a poor man's Buzby there.

EDIT Also the bass player was the presenter of Rosie and Jim in its last 4 series, and the keyboard player wrote the theme for loads of kids TV, including Tellytubbies. Not that interesting now I type it out.

Spiteface

Epiphone did a Korina FLying V a couple of years ago, looked like the one Tim Wheeler uses. Was tempted by it. Then I remember the other similar model released as one of many Joe Bonamassa sigs:

That's almost enough ammunition to justify NOT pulling the trigger.

Sherman Krank

^Based on the original korina (Gibsons trademarked name for African limba) Flying V's designed in 1957 by Paul Reed Smith mentor Ted McCarty along with it's companion guitars the Futura (Explorer) and the Moderne (the melty looking one).

The Moderne was considered to be a bit too weird and wouldn't actually be put into production until 1982 but the other two were released to the public amid great fanfare in 1958 and then discontinued in 1959 after the public responded with a resounding 'nah'.

Apart from 1963 when a few bodies and necks were found in a storage cupboard, assembled with standard Les Paul hardware and shipped out to dealers the Flying V wouldn't reappear until 1967 when Gibson released a redesigned mahogany based model hoping to cash in on the then popular psychedelia and proto-heavy rock scenes.

The original run of korina V's and Explorers are now among the most valuable production guitars in existence with a good condition all original example fetching upwards of £200k.

samadriel

Funcrusher

There's no need for me to do extensive research before concluding that Joe Bonamassa is a total cock, is there?

Flouncer

I like to call him Joe Bonamasshole. There's not really any need to buy thirty of the same vintage amp and keep them all in a big room where you never use them.

NoSleep

Quote from: Flouncer on February 04, 2019, 09:07:40 AM
There's not really any need to buy thirty of the same vintage amp and keep them all in a big room where you never use them.

I've heard of other artists hording bits of gear they like, so they they never need to look for a spare. It's insurance of your sound. Geordie from Killing Joke has done the exact same.