Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened

Started by Funcrusher, January 25, 2019, 11:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

So I saw this and I believe some other people have also seen it. Had been mentioned in the same breath as the Bros doc, but there wasn't as much footage provided to laugh at hipsters and wannabees suffering in horrible conditions as expected. It does a decent job of recounting how the whole thing ended up as it did. An interesting story of what happens when Instagram reality and actual material reality collide. The central sociopath conman figure feels by now like a very familiar type in this day and age - cut from the same cloth as Theranos's Elizabeth Holmes for example.

imitationleather

The blowjob story was the definite highlight.

A bit of a murky aspect to the film is that it was made by that Fuck Jerry company who produced the original promo for Fyre. I can't decide whether that's more a conflict of interest than the Hulu doc about this festival paying yer man $250k for an interview. It was an enjoyable yarn, anyway. They probably could have at least mentioned that no one there was really paying $10k+ for a ticket. A large part of why it went tits up is that they sold the tickets far too cheaply (the earlybirds were about $500 including flights) and so there was no way it was ever going to work out. Just an all-round farce and I think that level of disorganisation makes it funnier so it's weird it wasn't covered at all.

Bazooka

I've not watched it or the other doc, but regarding the locals getting pissed off, and the Fyre marketing team having to flee led to this gem:
Quote"I literally traded clothes with one of the employees that had been working with me and I hid behind a urinal,"

darby o chill

Came away from it feeling sorry for the older black lady who spent her life savings paying the catering staff.
Highlights: The cheese sandwich photo and that odd man prepared to fellate a customs official.

famethrowa

Quote from: darby o chill on January 26, 2019, 12:18:48 AM
Came away from it feeling sorry for the older black lady who spent her life savings paying the catering staff.

Good news, someone did a fundraiser for her and made plenty.

It's interesting that this very new, very hip and right on concept was mostly sold by good old fashioned tits and bums. All it takes is a few bikini babes and phew what a scorcher.

darby o chill

Quote from: famethrowa on January 26, 2019, 12:38:25 AM
Good news, someone did a fundraiser for her and made plenty.

Great :) nice to hear that! Thanks for the update.

Dex Sawash

The NF thumbnail of a bikini bottom made me click to the description. Sounded like bikini bottom close-ups would probably not be a major theme. Did not watch.

holyzombiejesus

I thought the biggest cunt on it was the festival goer who didn't want to have anyone staying near him so ran round slashing neighbouring tents and pissing on mattresses. Not sure why anyone would volunteer that information on camera unless they were a wanker of the highest magnitude.

iamcoop

I found this entertaining but not vicious enough in its condemnation of a lot of people involved. It had the slant of "none of us knew this was corrupt at all throughout the whole process, it was all the main guys fault honestly" and seemed to be a huge excersise in damage limitation for a lot of the people being interviewed in their yuppie offices that are presumably still making millions of dollars shilling bogus luxury lifestyles via Instagram. Also, the main guy seemed about as convincing as one of those kids at school that tells you he's completed the new mario that's yet to be released cos his dad works for Nintendo so I just didn't buy that whole "this kid was so dynamite he could sell water to whales" narrative that kept being peddled.

EbbyVale

Quote from: iamcoop on January 26, 2019, 02:32:09 PM
I found this entertaining but not vicious enough in its condemnation of a lot of people involved. It had the slant of "none of us knew this was corrupt at all throughout the whole process, it was all the main guys fault honestly" and seemed to be a huge excersise in damage limitation for a lot of the people being interviewed in their yuppie offices that are presumably still making millions of dollars shilling bogus luxury lifestyles via Instagram. Also, the main guy seemed about as convincing as one of those kids at school that tells you he's completed the new mario that's yet to be released cos his dad works for Nintendo so I just didn't buy that whole "this kid was so dynamite he could sell water to whales" narrative that kept being peddled.

I agree.  I think there were some pointed questions that could have been asked of the aiders and abetters (including the mysteriously absent Ja Rule), who seemed all very content to throw their hands up in the air and say how scary it was for them when things went sour. I do think that was the symbiosis, though; he attracted credulous, noninterventionist types, because the smart money didn't want anything to do with him and he weeded out connections that could pose a challenge.

And yes, he seemed like a bullshit artist par excellence even when he was supposed to be charismatic--a 1980s throwback, possibly complete with coke spoon.

imitationleather

The documentary seemed to talk up that credit card thingy he was running as a massive success and evidence of his business genius, when in fact it appears that was a bit of a scam as well. Lots of exclusive events either not happening or being incorrectly advertised. I guess it just wouldn't look as good if it was presented as Fuck Jerry (who made the film) getting involved with someone who would have been easy to expose as a con artist if they'd done any research whatsoever.

jobotic

Did offer to sell tickets to Belle and Sebastien on a Boat at the end?

Hat FM

the 'line up' wasn't particularly great either was it? major lazer and blink 182? Glastonbury main stage afternoon types.

kngen

Quote from: Hat FM on January 28, 2019, 10:47:37 AM
the 'line up' wasn't particularly great either was it? major lazer and blink 182? Glastonbury main stage afternoon types.

At the risk of sounding like a music snob, I can't imagine anyone who signed up for this farrago gave the line-up more than a cursory glance to check they'd heard of the names. Kylie Jenner would be far more of a draw to these preening, moneyed wankers than actually watching bands, you'd have to think.

phantom_power

Second greatest time I had
Was when they asked me and my dad
To organise a festival
Along the lines of Donington
We took Chirk Airfield as our site
Booked the bands we thought were right
Received the long-range from the Met
They said it could be very wet
With this in mind, we thought it wise
To call the whole caboodle off
The greatest time I ever had
Was when we didn't tell the bands

Boom boom boom
Let me hear you say
Hosepipe ban

up_the_hampipe

I'm suspicious of how Ja Rule's involvement disappears as soon as shit starts to hit the fan. Did he have no part in this disaster?

iamcoop

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 28, 2019, 03:39:34 PM
I'm suspicious of how Ja Rule's involvement disappears as soon as shit starts to hit the fan. Did he have no part in this disaster?

I also found that odd. He's built up as a key player for the first 20 minutes and then completely disappears for the rest of the documentary. I wonder if there was some sort of instruction from lawyers of his to keep him out of it or something.

colacentral

Quote from: imitationleather on January 27, 2019, 02:05:55 AM
The documentary seemed to talk up that credit card thingy he was running as a massive success and evidence of his business genius, when in fact it appears that was a bit of a scam as well. Lots of exclusive events either not happening or being incorrectly advertised. I guess it just wouldn't look as good if it was presented as Fuck Jerry (who made the film) getting involved with someone who would have been easy to expose as a con artist if they'd done any research whatsoever.

"We thought of a way to get a credit card on a piece of metal" - because no cunt saw the point in trying to do that before.

kidsick5000

Ja Rule's comments here, plus a bit of good news
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46946572

QuoteViewers of the documentaries have crowdfunded more than $77,000 (£60,000) for restaurant owner Maryann Rolle who lost $50,000 (£38,000) of her life savings catering for employees and attendees at Fyre Festival.

bgmnts

Truly good news would be if the people responsible paid but this will do.

Chollis

Quote from: bgmnts on January 28, 2019, 06:36:48 PM
Truly good news would be if the people responsible paid died but this will do.

EbbyVale

It's not technically for FyreFest, but Megh Wright of Vulture is spearheading what's seeming to be a reasonably successful campaign against FuckJerry Media for their monetizing of jokes they stole:

https://news.avclub.com/surprise-the-social-media-agency-behind-fyre-festival-1832231815?utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_content=Main&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

Apparently Comedy Central has now pulled their ads from FuckJerry's Instagram.

Kind of an interesting dive into how profitable comedy plagiarism can be.

fucking ponderous

I haven't seen either of these because I'm stuck on which one to watch first. Any opinions on that?

Icehaven

I had to laugh at the bit where a shellshocked attendee was describing the terrible scenes as night fell on the first day, and he described how a woman who seemed really drunk wandered past his tent saying she couldn't find her friend, as if that was an example of how bad the situation was rather than just something that happens all the time at every music festival everywhere.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: iamcoop on January 26, 2019, 02:32:09 PM

I'm usually suspicious of documentaries on Netflix so if I find the subject disagreeable e.g Instagram, I'll avoid them, which is why I didn't bother with Fyre. Recently about 5 Bill Hick documentaries appeared on Netflix overnight and I clicked the one title that I hadn't seen. Turned out to be a half hour interview of just Bill Hicks' brother. I didn't finish it.

There are a lot of half assed documentaries just thrown onto Netflix to fill up space.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 28, 2019, 03:39:34 PM

Do Netflix have a guy in charge of documentaries? If viewers can see these obvious flaws why can't Netflix? They must be desperate to throw any old shit up there to create content.

One good thing about N'flix is they have some old classic comedy like Alan Partridge and  Blackadder.

Bazooka

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 04, 2019, 07:11:05 AM
I'm usually suspicious of documentaries on Netflix so if I find the subject disagreeable e.g Instagram, I'll avoid them, which is why I didn't bother with Fyre. Recently about 5 Bill Hick documentaries appeared on Netflix overnight and I clicked the one title that I hadn't seen. Turned out to be a half hour interview of just Bill Hicks' brother. I didn't finish it.

There are a lot of half assed documentaries just thrown onto Netflix to fill up space.

They have been padding out whole satellite channels for years with padded out documentaries. What ever you do, do not watch a channel on YouTube called Factverse that is the god of padding.

kngen

Quote from: fucking ponderous on February 03, 2019, 01:48:41 AM
I haven't seen either of these because I'm stuck on which one to watch first. Any opinions on that?

I watched Fyre (the Netflix one) first. Even with the caveat that those Fuck Jerry twats were behind it and absolve themselves of all responsibilty, it has lots of behind the scenes footage that paint a pretty amazing picture of how ridiculous the whole thing was from day one. It's a slow burn, and is all the more entertaining watching the dawning realisation that everything is going to shit because of that. But it tries to paint Billy Fyreconman as ultimately 'misguided'.

I watched Fyre Fraud last night. It's not nearly as slick (and lots of pop culture clips to illustrate things, like a remedial-grade Adam Curtis), but it's got some great details that the other one skipped over, and - even though they're the ones that paid McFarland for an interview - they really nail him, Ja Rule AND the Fuck Jerry crew as being a gang of scumbags.

So yeah, I'd watch them in that order (Fyre Fraud seems to follow Fyre chronologically too, as Fyre ends with McFarland's sentencing), and they both complement each other well even if they are essentially at odds with each other

Crabwalk

Quote from: kngen on February 05, 2019, 05:17:00 PM
But it tries to paint Billy Fyreconman as ultimately 'misguided'.

I've not watched the other one yet, but I can't agree with that assessment. The Netflix doc calls out his wilful fraud, several important figures call him a compulsive liar and sociopath, and it emphasises the fact that the workers in the Bahamas were the worst-affected victims of all. There is zero room for any sympathy for him by the end, IMO.

kidsick5000

I do wonder if there was a plan for it to be a success. I reckon he must have wanted to pull it off or he wouldn't have stayed around the shitshow for as Long as he did.
I'm pretty sure that there was an ulterior motive - a scam behind the plan, possibly the bracelets etc - but they just didn't count their own naivety into the equation.
Can you imagine how bad it would have been if they had use of the original island.

It's pretty damn close to a Nathan Barley film.