Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:56:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Baptiste (The Missing alike)

Started by im barry bethel, January 26, 2019, 08:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

im barry bethel

The beeb know when they're on to a winner, still needs to sort that accent out though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jUOVRGA8Lw4

BlodwynPig

Quote from: im barry bethel on January 26, 2019, 08:02:13 AM
The beeb know when they're on to a winner, still needs to sort that accent out though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jUOVRGA8Lw4

The actor is French though, so that's his voice. Tom Hollander - I see the BBC innovating as usual.

I thought Baptiste died in The Missing? I guess this is an anthology like those Poirot shows.

katzenjammer

Still wearing that jacket I see, must be absolutely humming by now

BlodwynPig

Quote from: katzenjammer on January 28, 2019, 06:22:21 PM
Still wearing that jacket I see, must be absolutely humming by now

Surely this a prequel, so the jacket is fresh, only when he died did it hum. Caused the cancer, I suspect.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 26, 2019, 02:36:14 PM
Tom Hollander - I see the BBC innovating as usual.

Would you prefer it if they'd cast Nick Knowles? That would be pretty innovative.

I thought Baptiste died in The Missing? I guess this is an anthology like those Poirot shows.

The ending was ambiguous, we don't know if he died or not.

Ja'moke

Baptiste is such a great character. I had no idea they were making another series about him.

Just watched the first episode of this. Pretty good, I thought.

As Ja'moke says, Baptiste is a great character so his return is very welcome. So far it basically feels like a third series of The Missing in all but name, albeit with more focus on our limping hero, but that's no bad thing. As you'd expect, he's pulled out of retirement once again to investigate a puzzling missing person case, this time in Amsterdam. That means, of course, that it's mired in vice, drugs and violence, but grimness on a grand scale is what we expect from this universe. Placing a gentle, decent, wistful investigator in the middle of a world gone to hell may not be an original idea, but it works a treat with this particular character. The actor who plays him is so quietly charismatic.

Anyway, it's back on Sunday 17th.

The actor is French though, so that's his voice.

I'm still a bit baffled by the OP's comment, the actor playing Baptiste is obviously speaking with his own accent.

Anyway, it's quite amazing to think that The Missing and its spin-off were written by the brothers responsible for the utterly atrocious Channel 4 animated comedy show Full English. Well, I guess it's not that amazing when you realise that their forte lies with bleak, twisty thrillers and not comedy - a genre they should never ever attempt again - but it's still quite a leap in terms of quality.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 12, 2019, 10:07:21 PM
I'm still a bit baffled by the OP's comment, the actor playing Baptiste is obviously speaking with his own accent.

Sometimes it sounds heavily accented and others it's either barely noticeable or generic French/Belgian/forrin.

Anyway a cracking start, though I was surprised he didn't have a heart attack chasing after that yoof

The protagonist being an old fella with a dodgy arm and leg who could potentially keel over at any moment just adds to the sense of jeopardy.

MidnightShambler

Just watched this, I thought it was excellent. Enough of the murky underworld without going over the top about it and unpredictable enough that I didn't see the twist coming at all, did anybody else? Baptiste is a great character, very normal and believable. I'm excited to see where this goes and also gutted that the whole series isn't up because I'd watch the lot right now.

rjd2

Is the missing much use? Got Nesbitt in it which is a concern sadly.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: rjd2 on February 19, 2019, 02:00:25 AM

I thought the first Missing (with Nesbitt) was shite and I only made it to episode 5 of the second one before life got in the way and I never finished it, it was much better than the first though, well worth a watch. Do you know any sites to stream old programmes for free? I might finish watching it now if I can find it, I'm a bit out of the loop with these things.

rjd2

Do you have amazon prime America? Its for free over their.

MidnightShambler

Nah I haven't got amazon or Netflix, skint at the moment. It's not on putlocker either!

Quote from: rjd2 on February 19, 2019, 02:00:25 AM

Nesbitt delivers a genuinely powerful performance in the first series of The Missing. Throw your prejudices aside!

non capisco

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 19, 2019, 02:16:34 AM
I thought the first Missing (with Nesbitt) was shite

Disagree, I thought the first series was gripping and didn't drop the ball once all the way up to its staggeringly bleak final scene. And Nesbitt is really good in it. WARS MAY SON, JULIEN?

Into Baptiste so far, thought Tom Hollander did a very good impression of someone on the verge of vomiting after running for ages.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: non capisco on February 20, 2019, 09:19:22 AM
Disagree, I thought the first series was gripping and didn't drop the ball once all the way up to its staggeringly bleak final scene. And Nesbitt is really good in it. WARS MAY SON, JULIEN?

Into Baptiste so far, thought Tom Hollander did a very good impression of someone on the verge of vomiting after running for ages.

I just can't take to Nesbitt, he's one of those people I'm always aware is acting, if you know what I mean. Him aside though, I just didn't enjoy the first one. Can't even remember much about it, I found it so forgettable. Each to their own I suppose.

Tom Hollander is a weird one, in that the shape of his head makes him look simultaneously like a dwarf and a giant. Good actor though.

studpuppet

I ended up not watching the first Missing, as we had kids the same age at the time and the missus found it too tough to watch. The second must have passed us by as we probably filed it under 'something we don't watch'.

Anyway, we watched the first Baptiste and the missus liked it enough to watch the second. So I'm now going through the first two at a rate of knots.
One observation on the first two: I know it's a stylistic thing but boy do they jump around a lot. Not conducive to watching it on a weekday evening when Mrs. S nods off in places, and you can only tell which period it's in by which syrup Jimmy Nesbitt's wearing. I think it's one of the only series where I'm glad of the recap at the start of each episode.

MidnightShambler

The second one was the same, jumped around a lot and was a bit hard to follow, you could tell the bits that were set years ago but the cutting between 2014 and 2016 was hard to distinguish between sometimes. As you say it wasn't one you could make a cup of tea during and be confident you'd miss nothing.

studpuppet

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 20, 2019, 05:31:54 PM
The second one was the same, jumped around a lot and was a bit hard to follow, you could tell the bits that were set years ago but the cutting between 2014 and 2016 was hard to distinguish between sometimes.

Update - I'm onto the second series and there is a bit more distinction in the cinematography (they must have had complaints!). 2014=cold, grey/blue colouring, and 2016=warm, ochre colouring. They've also included come more 'visual' aids: pregnancy bumps, 3rd degree burns, beard on the brigadier, shaved head for Baptiste, etc.

im barry bethel

Think it's a bit mean spirited making the poor fucker run again

MidnightShambler

Strong second episode. The bit in the water was well done, everything is getting set up nicely. Tom Hollander's character has got the right amount of detached menace about him i reckon. Enjoying this so far.

Mobius

Really loved episode 2.

Just a cracking show, lovely accents and settings. Really intriguing story, lots of twists and turns.

NattyDread 2

Fair enjoying this but there has been some right clunkers in the plot. I don't know how to do the spoiler tags so I'll just say him phoning his missus and the whole car keys bit were honking.

Twit 2

There's bound to be the odd moment like that when your plot machine is cranked up to four twists an episode.

I was sceptical about a spin off but this is very much a 3rd series in all but name. I actually prefer it to the The Missing I think, and I liked both series despite their flaws and odd silly bit. I didn't see the twist coming in episode 1 at all, and I am intrigued by every element of this. I also think it's a canny touch making him 'not what he once was'. The kind of mistakes he's made so far are quite believable, makes a change from the cliched savant protagonists (Sherlock, Will Graham in Hannibal etc) you normally get.

Spoilers/speculation:

The commisioner's son is one of the bent coppers Natalie alluded to, surely? When he went off to get Stratton brought in, he would have phoned him up instead and asked him directly (plus he'd just said we have nothing on him, which is convenient). Also wonder if Stratton's MO is some sort of larger revenge plan to do with the circumstances in which his daughter died. Infiltrate the gang and play the long game. I think the wallet scene is to show that he's a bit more complex. I wonder if he'll turn out to be a psychopath or just a previously good man who's gone into the deep end.

Anyway, the way the twisty plot is being drip fed is bang on. This'll do nicely now that True Detective S3 is finished.

Twit 2

Also: when Hollander (did they get him for this because of his surname?) shouted at the woman in the cafe that was pure Taffin, wasn't it? TEELLL MEEEE!

Twit 2

Spoilers:

I liked how episode three both cleared up the mysteries of the first two whilst upping the stakes and moving the plot along. And of course adding some new intrigue: who has taken pop's money? What tipped Baptiste off that no bollocks could be his son?

I do worry about an implausible number of coincidences piling up, though.

im barry bethel

I'm starting to fall out with this a bit now. After a strong couple of first episodes it's starting to slip into clichés (let's relocate the family to a remote lodge in the woods... can't see anything bad happening there!) and random twists with no build up (the paternity test 2 scenes after sipping coffee on a car park roof). Hollander's still stealing every scene his in though

MidnightShambler

Quote from: im barry bethel on March 07, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
I'm starting to fall out with this a bit now. After a strong couple of first episodes it's starting to slip into clichés (let's relocate the family to a remote lodge in the woods... can't see anything bad happening there!) and random twists with no build up (the paternity test 2 scenes after sipping coffee on a car park roof). Hollander's still stealing every scene his in though

The paternity test had a slight mention in the first episode (or maybe second, I get confused easily) when Baptiste says to his mum that he reminds him of a younger version of him, I was half expecting there to be a reveal along those lines somewhere, so that hasn't bothered me. I'm not sure what triggered it in his mind so it had to happen then though, maybe he'd always wondered and took the opportunity when he saw the cup?

The cabin in the woods, yeah sort of. They've got to hide them somewhere though haven't they? If they just stuck them above a Carrefour Express in the middle of the city it limits the scope for the drama when they're eventually found doesn't it?

I reckon it's all bubbling under nicely, I've already been thrown off course by Stratton twice so far so I think it's pretty good. I can see why you're having misgivings though.