Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV Recommendations?

Started by Puce Moment, January 26, 2019, 01:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

A bit of a regular thread on here, but things move so fast in the world of TVs that I thought I would dip into the CAB hive mind.

So, I want a good, smart TV around 47-50" with Youtube and Spotify. I have always used Samsung Smart TVs in the past. I know they are considered the best but I find them unreliable, and about a year ago or so they scrapped the Youtube app which I used ALL THE TIME.

My budget might be a bit low - under 1k for sure. I have been looking at LG Televisions and wondered if anyone here can recommend them, or perhaps a different make. I have a BT Hub which means that strictly speaking, I can access a lot of things through that, but I prefer to run apps from the TV itself.

At the moment I am looking at this: https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49sk8100pla-led-hdr-super-uhd-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-49-inch-with-freeview-play-freesat-hd-cinema-screen-design-dolby-atmos-crescent-stand-ultra-hd-certified-silver/p3501318

Any thoughts?

Sebastian Cobb

I'd ignore the smart features as they're all shite (we develop CTV apps, they're really all just html 5 apps in a container) and get a Fire Stick or Roku. Samsung might be ok but they're about the worst for dropping support when they bring the next model out 6 months later.

They're pretty similar these days anyway, Samsung have their own thing with Tiezen/Orsay, Sony use Youview (which is better than the boxes because the boxes have pitiful memory, to the point they can't even play video over https) and everyone else uses Freeview Play.

LG make good telly's their posh ones (4k/HDR) frequently get recommended as good buys. Like everything it depends on the model.

Bazooka

My TV is a Haier (what do you mean you never heard of it?) a TV which when you turn it on blasts a 30 second advert at you at full volume before you have any control including volume, currently its an advert for Skittles.

DrGreggles

I generally go down the Sony route.
Never had a problem with any of their stuff.

Blue Jam

We got £50 off this LG one in the January sales:

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49uk6400plf-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-49-inch-with-freeview-play-freesat-hd-crescent-stand-ultra-hd-certified-metallic-bronze/p3531759

It's pretty great and RDR2 looks amazing on it (4K HDR on an Xbox One S). Not got any YouTube app installed but I watch YouTube through the Xbox app. I'll check the LG app store for a YouTube app and report back.

Dex Sawash

Get a roku stick even if yer tv has apps. Worth having for the search function alone.
Shit that isn't available anywhere you can add to your roku "feed" and it fells you when it is available.

Do they sell the TCL Roku tvs in UK? Those are usually rated as good buys (no idea if those are dodgy rstings places though)