Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:42:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smokey Robinson Still Singing Great at 78

Started by Satchmo Distel, January 26, 2019, 06:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I saw him last night in Hollywood, FL, and can report that his falsetto is still in fine shape. He sang several numbers accompanied just on guitar or keyboards, including one in Spanish (he has a Spanish language EP scheduled for release), and was moving and beautiful all the way through. Repertoire was also bold - B-sides, album tracks, Spanish language (as above) and one Sinatra tribute.  

Twed

I was randomly just listening to When Smokey Sings minutes before this thread. What a star he is.

Sebastian Cobb

I saw Ronnie Spector in the week and she can still sing pretty well.

Nowhere Man

It's very admirable to think that he had no ego in giving away probably his most famous song composition ('My Girl') to The Temptations, and his keen decision to have David Ruffin sing lead really changed the development of that groups history from then on. Not to mention The Miracles 'Shop Around' was the first big record for Motown, which really got it going.

Berry Gordy aside I think Smokey would have to be the most important person involved in getting Motown off the ground.

He had his fair share of perfect singles with The Miracles..

Shop Around
You've Really Got A Hold Of Me
Ooo Baby Baby
The Tracks Of My Tears
Going To A Go-Go
More Love
I Second That Emotion
The Tears Of A Clown

and then of course the amazing singles that became hits for other artists: the aforementioned My Girl, My Guy, Get Ready, I'll Be Doggone, Who's Lovin' You etc. Plus his work as a producer at the start of The Tempt's classic run. It's no wonder the likes of yer Beatles and Bobby Zimmerman's were all big fans of him.
Then this, which all things considered is probably the most consistent studio album released by a Motown artist in the 60s:

biggytitbo

He's only 78? The beatles covered him and they're virtually the same age.

DrGreggles

I'd be very suspicious of anyone who doesn't like Smokey Robinson.
Amazing singer.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 26, 2019, 09:58:10 PM
He's only 78? The beatles covered him and they're virtually the same age.

'You've Really Got a Hold on Me'  was only about 7 or 8 months old when The Beatles recorded their cover version in July 1963. In fact they were singing it even earlier in the year as they had acquired an imported copy of the single before it was even released in the UK.

Besides that a lot of 50/60s artists/groups started out very young when they had their earliest successes. Carl and Dennis Wilson were only 15 and 17 respectively when The Beach Boys had their first hit 'Surfin Safari' in 1962, for example. (Their guitarist David Marks, was only 13!)

Lennon was only 8 months younger than Smokey.

Two of the lesser known tracks from yesterday: "Save Me" and "Quiet Storm"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxOnlxE950

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8zurufgMuI