Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:45:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

Twed

Making this because on reflection we are flooding the Trump thread with this talk.

Kamala Harris has not released a platform but has released merchandise based around the idea of an inspirational movement behind her that doesn't exist.

Hillary is on the warpath.

Bernie is about to announce.

Beto has disappeared.

Can you imagine the VPs for these candidates?

We're in for some good primaries.

Beginning to suspect that Beto might not be happening

Also this is a very tentative prediction because all the candidates aren't in yet, but my prediction would be that Kamala Harris is the democratic nominee and she gets beaten by Trump in the general. 4 more years of shit ensues

Would love to be wrong on that one but that's how I see it panning out

imitationleather

They should ask Clinton who she wants (although they don't need to, she's already been flapping her lips about it) and go for the exact opposite.

Ferris

Biden will weigh in and offer up Obama centrism 2.0 which I can see appealing to party elites and an exhausted populace. Bit uninspiring for the rest of us.

What is everyone's dream democratic ticket? Warren/Beto could be alright. I don't know. Harris maybe? Sherwood Brown? Gillibrand? Sanders?

It'll be a battle royale.

Quote from: imitationleather on January 26, 2019, 09:14:00 PM
They should ask Clinton who she wants (although they don't need to, she's already been flapping her lips about it) and go for the exact opposite.

Actually a pretty good idea.

Twed

These primaries are going to be when "RUSSIAN BOTS" jumps the shark, too. Eight months of this is going to have people rolling their eyes:

https://twitter.com/josh_emerson/status/1089226745264459777

garnish

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 26, 2019, 09:41:44 PM
Biden will weigh in and offer up Obama centrism 2.0 which I can see appealing to party elites and an exhausted populace. Bit uninspiring for the rest of us.

I think Biden will get #MeToo'd out of the race fairly early on, to say nothing of the fact that he seems to have a problem with Millenials in general and campaigned for a Republican in the 2018 elections.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 26, 2019, 09:41:44 PM
Biden will weigh in and offer up Obama centrism 2.0 which I can see appealing to party elites and an exhausted populace.

The exhausted populace will simply stay home in droves if they see nothing that would substantially materially improve their lot in life, as they have been increasingly doing

Funcrusher

I can also see Trump winning again, as astonishing and unthinkable as that should be. The Democrats have learnt nothing and done nothing so far.

Quote from: garnish on January 26, 2019, 09:44:11 PM
I think Biden will get #MeToo'd out of the race fairly early on, to say nothing of the fact that he seems to have a problem with Millenials in general and campaigned for a Republican in the 2018 elections.

The attack ads on Biden would be savage because there's loads of footage of him being really fucking weird

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nothing guarantees the defeat of the left more than the lack of confidence of their own ranks, aided and abetted by the capitalist liberal 'left'.

They do most of the heavy lifting in demotivating the left without the right even needing to be involved

Frustratingly there is no defeat of the right without the consent of these liberal fucking kneejerk dweebs....

Don't you just lovNO I DON'T GONNA HANG MESEN

Bernie would have won, and can still win as far as I'm concerned

The Democratic establishment would be dead set against him but if he could pull off a Trump-like upset then boy oh boy it would be the stuff that dreams are made of

Sin Agog

I suspect the younglings are more activated than ever, what with the barrage of political news they've endured over the last couple of years.  One just hopes the Bernie bros don't go Cane & Abel on their man over things like that supposedly dodgy essay.  The problem is they're more like the types to finally come out for an election when there's an actually viable candidate than the sort who'll register to vote in the primaries.

garnish

Not necessarily relevant but I enjoyed this tweet, which goes some way to showing the mindset of Bernie's opposition within the party.

Bernie currently polls most favourable of all the prospective candidates amongst minorities, including, presumably, the denizens of Black Twitter.

imitationleather

Has anyone asked Quentin Tarantino what Black Twitter thinks?

Twed

Self-appointed black people are the funniest fucking thing.

Twed

Imagine at any point in your day think it would be a good idea to sit down and speak for Black Twitter.

imitationleather

I ain't havin' no makin' fun of T Calloway.

chveik

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on January 26, 2019, 10:36:33 PM
Self-appointed black people are the funniest fucking thing.

Tell that to Terry Crews

Ferris

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 26, 2019, 10:12:02 PM
I suspect the younglings are more activated than ever, what with the barrage of political news they've endured over the last couple of years.  One just hopes the Bernie bros don't go Cane & Abel on their man over things like that supposedly dodgy essay.  The problem is they're more like the types to finally come out for an election when there's an actually viable candidate than the sort who'll register to vote in the primaries.

I always thought the idea of "Bernie Bros" was a bit of a media hoax, designed to give Hillary fans a failsafe line of attack that can't be defended against. It's lasted as a helpful way of deflecting blame (see her interview snippet posted above).

I don't think they really exist, so I wouldn't worry about them as a demographic.

canadagoose

Does Calloway give any reasoning for why Black Twitter "ain't havin' no" Bernie? Seems a bit suspect.

imitationleather

Quote from: canadagoose on January 26, 2019, 11:27:05 PM
Does Calloway give any reasoning for why Black Twitter "ain't havin' no" Bernie? Seems a bit suspect.

Probably relying on everyone being too frightened to go over to Black Twitter to have a look themselves in case they get mugged or something.

garnish

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 26, 2019, 11:19:43 PM
I always thought the idea of "Bernie Bros" was a bit of a media hoax, designed to give Hillary fans a failsafe line of attack that can't be defended against. It's lasted as a helpful way of deflecting blame (see her interview snippet posted above).

I don't think they really exist, so I wouldn't worry about them as a demographic.

Hilary did the same thing with Obama supporters, calling them "Obama boys".  The usefulness of the label is that it's so poorly defined, meaning those who disagree essentially have to argue that no Bernie supporter has ever made a sexist comment.

And of course, it keeps the discussion off policy.

Funcrusher

Spurious accusations of bigotry are the favourite tactic of faux woke centrists. See also 'Jeremy Corbyn the terrible antisemite'.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 26, 2019, 10:03:00 PM
Bernie would have won, and can still win as far as I'm concerned

The Democratic establishment would be dead set against him but if he could pull off a Trump-like upset then boy oh boy it would be the stuff that dreams are made of

Trump is so ogre-like that if the Democratic party allow it (unlikely) Bernie would receive enthusiastic endorsement.

Last election was the time for Bernie though, it would be uncomfortably close this time.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 26, 2019, 10:12:02 PM
I suspect the younglings are more activated than ever, what with the barrage of political news they've endured over the last couple of years.

There will have been four years of younguns turning 18 since the Trump disaster, and as younger voters generally trend away from the GOP core tenets of homophobia, racism against non-whites, transphobia and hating women, that's a good thing. Plus the demographics of the US are increasingly trending non-white, which theoretically puts a bit more weight behind the Democrats. That plus disenchanted federal workers pissed off by the shutdown (he'll have lost a good chunk of the TSA's ranks), people who voted for him because they didn't like Clinton but who weren't die-hard MAGA types, any fallout from the Mueller probe... a lot can happen between now and then, of course.

I wonder if there'll be a challenger from with the Republican ranks? That could really fuck up any predictions. Prior to the shutdown, I don't think it would even have crossed their mind. But polls suggest Pelosi's standing has gone up while Trump's has falled further, and the Dems in some polls are now seen as being better on immigration than Republicans, which is VERY rare. And of course support for Trump's beloved wall remains low across the country.

Now he's looking weak, the fear of him campaigning against the losers during their next round of primaries must be diminished. It must look more plausible that he could be taken down - and even if he keeps the job, how much heft does he still have with the average American voter?

And that assuming that the Mueller probe doesn't compromise him to the point that he has to be taken down for the good of the party. From the sounds of it, there's probably going to be a decent case for obstruction of justice with the Donald Jnr/Russians memo he's supposed to have dictated on Air Force One, and campaign finance violations when paying off Stormy Daniels for the affair that came shortly after Melania gave birth to Barron. Could he become too toxic even for the GOP? But this presumes they have a functioning sense of shame, which seems to be in short supply at the moment.

Urinal Cake

The funniest thing on the Democratic side in 2016 was Hilary Supporters warning women not be seduced by Bernie Bros and the power of their willy.

Bernie is going to be a sponge people will be comparing everybody else to him to good and ill effect.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Twed on January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM
Making this because on reflection we are flooding the Trump thread with this talk.

Kamala Harris has not released a platform but has released merchandise based around the idea of an inspirational movement behind her that doesn't exist.

Hillary is on the warpath.

Bernie is about to announce.

Beto has disappeared.

Can you imagine the VPs for these candidates?

We're in for some good primaries.
Look who can fail to recognise a good merchandising opportunity?
https://www.bet.com/music/2019/01/26/chris-brown-new-merchandise.html

garnish

Yes I wonder how likely it is that Trump runs again next year - between being indicted, slipping into a diabetic coma or just plain get the hump and sacking it in, there's a lot of ways for him to go.