Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:00:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

Urinal Cake

Apart from being isolationist I'm not sure why the (alt) right loves Tulsi. Maybe her border and immigration policy? But even then it pales next to Trump. I think they want to be cucked by her.

Harris is the new Clinton. An aparatchik who believes in their entitlement to rule. Harris's supporters are probably worse than Hillary's though.

imitationleather

Quote from: Urinal Cake on August 03, 2019, 01:09:23 AM
Harris's supporters are probably worse than Hillary's though.

Will Harris's supporters create anything worse than this? Is doing that even possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLGFyxAP0QE

Urinal Cake

It's too early for celebrity songs but I'd wait for a g-funk rap.

Cuellar

Quote from: imitationleather on August 03, 2019, 01:16:26 AM
Will Harris's supporters create anything worse than this? Is doing that even possible?

I went to school with a guy called Will Harris.

As you were.

peanutbutter

Quote from: imitationleather on August 03, 2019, 01:16:26 AM

How on earth has that only got 455,383 views. Is that the power of never enabling likes or comments on a video?

Twed

Harris is the new Clinton. An aparatchik who believes in their entitlement to rule. Harris's supporters are probably worse than Hillary's though.
You'd think that her handlers would be aware enough to advise her to not literally CACKLE about horrible shit like Hillary did, but no. Why do they always cackle?

Urinal Cake

It's pretty hard to control the way you laugh.

But Harris and her team have proven that they don't have the nous that it takes. Russian bots FFS. In a lot of ways the worst aspects of both Clintons and Obama.

Apart from being isolationist I'm not sure why the (alt) right loves Tulsi. Maybe her border and immigration policy? But even then it pales next to Trump. I think they want to be cucked by her.

She's hot and makes the people on CNN angry. Same reason that many on the alt-right bizarrely like AOC. That's the extent of their interest in actual policies.

Twed

Quote from: Urinal Cake on August 03, 2019, 10:19:53 PM
It's pretty hard to control the way you laugh.
...about terrible things you did?

Paul Calf

Apart from being isolationist I'm not sure why the (alt) right loves Tulsi.

It's the religious bigotry.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Twed on August 03, 2019, 11:00:50 PM
...about terrible things you did?
But she doesn't see them as horrible. It was a pragmatic political choice.

When she's told about her GOP opponent thinking about legalising marijuana first she tries to be diplomatic but she laughs (nervously?incredulously?you can't tell) at what a stupid political decision she thinks it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kATTmxYN2c&t=1m

Even when she talks about smoking weed it's the context of a middle-class, educated individual in the safe confines of college with a nod to Clinton's 'I didn't inhale'. Not a poor working black person's experience of getting caught on the street. You have to think she sees herself as apart from the normal bum on the street while most people recognise the hypocrisy in that.

She's always been about pragmatic politics.   

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 03, 2019, 11:11:09 PM
It's the religious bigotry.
I think it is because she was a hot soldier and she hated (apparently but no longer) Muslims.

If Harris wanted to damage Gabbard with foreign allegiances you'd think they'd try to smear her as a hindutva. Gabbard atleast has a recent history with that. But that may make Harris family (her mother is a Hindu Indian) and donor functions a bit awkward. 

Twed

Quote from: Urinal Cake on August 03, 2019, 11:42:36 PM
But she doesn't see them as horrible. It was a pragmatic political choice.
That's my point really. They've sourced yet another person who cannot even comprehend people's objections to them.

Urinal Cake

Atleast Tulsi will sing her own damn songs https://youtu.be/Gq3cMkSDUb0 but let's leave out the ones where she sings Hare Krishna that might scare Christians too much.

Twed

(excuse phone typing)

Somebody calling from the Warren campaign was so desperate for my feedback that they invited me to have coffee. As in taking me, individually to a coffee shop at their expense like you would take someone on a date.

I was also recently phone polled by some University. They were very leading in their questions, and even kept giving me their opinions (e.g. saying they support Booker, and saying "I agree" to a lot of .my answers). Many of the questions were set up so that it was impossible to give a left of centre answer. Validates a lot of what I suspected about polls.

They put me down for maybe being interviewed by The Boston Globe. They should probably reconsider that.

ajsmith2

Quote from: rjd2 on August 04, 2019, 05:28:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51HuNX41Fg

Never saw that 'Fight Song' thing before, wow. Very familiar with the other 2 smug oblivious 2016 classics. Interesting how Lena Dunham seems to be unintentionally rocking a Mel Giedroyc look in that painfully affected intro to the Pantsuit thing.

'I wonder if I'm actually harming her chances of winning?' that just says it all about what a predetermined fait accompli so many thought a Hill win was in 2016.

Twed

An absolutely incredible ratio.

Ferris

sponk

Quote from: Twed on August 05, 2019, 02:20:02 PM

An absolutely incredible ratio.

Russian bots. Everyone I've ever met loved that song.

Twed

They must have paid YouTube for that video ID, because "H51HuNX41Fg" is the exact noise people make when they watch it.

Cuellar

QuoteJoe Biden says "poor kids are just as bright" as "white kids" at event for Asian and Hispanic voters

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1159887111274803200?s=20

Paul Calf

Quote from: rjd2 on August 04, 2019, 05:28:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51HuNX41Fg

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

I am utterly dismayed by the ineffectual shit-for-brains idiocy on display. It's just fucking bastard infuriating.

BlodwynPig

Its called a false sense of entitlement caused by periods of boom before bust

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Cuellar on August 09, 2019, 07:57:17 PM
https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1159887111274803200?s=20
Could it be 'electability' is just a facade for voters accepting that Biden is a nice,  folksy, patronising racist and sexist? As opposed to Trump who's an after school special racist.

bgmnts

"Battle for the soul of this nation". It's always a battle or a war or a fight with these lot innit. Some abstract, convenient good vs evil, God vs Satan bollocks.

How haven't they nuked themselves into oblivion yet?

Hank Venture

Biden vs Trump: battle of the Alzheimer wits.

Cuellar

Why is American politics seemingly so riddled with geriatric disasters? At least at Presidential level.

mojo filters

Quote from: Cuellar on August 10, 2019, 02:22:00 PM
Why is American politics seemingly so riddled with geriatric disasters? At least at Presidential level.

In what way?

Some historical context from the modern political era - age of presidents at first inauguration:

Donald Trump 70

Barack Obama 47

George W. Bush 54

Bill Clinton 46

George H. W. Bush 64

Ronald Reagan 69

Jimmy Carter 52

Gerald Ford 61

Richard Nixon 56

Lyndon Johnson 55

John F. Kennedy 43

Dwight Eisenhower 62

Harry Truman 60

Franklin Roosevelt 51

Herbert Hoover 54

Calvin Coolidge 51

Warren Harding 55

Woodrow Wilson 56

William Taft 51

Teddy Roosevelt 42

Cuellar

Literally just now I mean. Trump, Biden, Sanders. Old cunts.

mojo filters

Quote from: Cuellar on August 10, 2019, 04:33:31 PM
Literally just now I mean. Trump, Biden, Sanders. Old cunts.

That's not a trend, it's a peculiar quirk of this strange political moment.

Trump is an outlier in every respect. His popularity is due to a reaction by the plurality of the republican party base against established politicians, in the 2016 election cycle. The seeds were sown during the rise of the tea party movement, which the party establishment thought they had averted in that moment.

Trump gets a pass on every single one of his failings. The media have set the bar so low for him, he basically wins each press avail as long as he manages not to shit himself and vomit on camera. His age is the least problematic area right now.

Biden's popularity is simply the nebulous "electability" concern surrounding the massive upsurge in opposition to Trump. His earlier political career was very much contained inside the DC beltway, but Obama's historic two-term presidency imbued an undue degree of political gravitas he's currently trading heavily on.

There's still a long time until Iowa. Biden will have plenty of opportunities to expose his political frailties between now and then. He is already handicapped amongst much of the democratic base as the vanilla "compromise candidate."

If folks like Liz Warren manage to see their numbers amongst key demos such as registered black voters, tick up to match their overall numbers in early primary states such as Iowa and NH - Biden will inevitably face a far bigger challenge than current appearances suggest.

Bernie is looking less and less relevant as we see polling trends evolve. However he should not be counted out.

Firstly he's a stubborn old git who is likely to drag out any primary fight to the bitter end yet again, regardless of how much potential his primary hopes realistically have.

Secondly he's now legitimately strengthened by his considerable influence carried over from 2016, in pulling the mainstream democratic candidates to the left.

Bernie needs to take the due acclaim for his remarkable, outsized recent political influence. Then he needs to become a team player and know when to bow out gracefully, for the greater good - taking with him the plaudits accompanying his deserved stature as a revered elder statesman of the democratic party.

Assuming Biden remains solidly in the lead up until Iowa, remember that in 2008 Hillary Clinton was in the same position.

When Obama won the Iowa caucus thanks to his exceptionally effective ground game in that state, the large black vote that had been propping Hillary up suddenly changed when they saw a potential winner emerge from that influential and complex political cauldron.

I agree it's strange to have so many influential 70+ year olds dominating the current political scene. However there's no reason to assume nothing will change in the next six months.