Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)
Quote from: Peter St. John on September 14, 2019, 08:05:08 PM
Also, it'd be a straight-up violation of what few campaign finance laws are left on the books.

How? They could just send out an email asking for donations to this guy's medical bills.

Quote from: Twed on September 14, 2019, 07:43:16 PM
Huh? You want them to campaign for adequate healthcare by never referencing the fact that anybody is suffering under the current system?

I've petitioned Barry Admin to add an *eyeroll* gif to the forum.

Twed

Pearly you are not making any sense at all. You need to have a sit-down and think about what it means to be in the presence of me, a correctsman.

Twed

Hank Venture

He looks and sounds hammered. Makes me wonder who is deteriorating faster, him or Trump.

Twed

Apart from the obvious mental deterioration, why is he unable to stop telling folksy old white man tales about black people at every opportunity?

kngen

Quote from: Twed on September 15, 2019, 06:39:59 PM
https://twitter.com/EddieZipperer/status/1173196985085677569

Joe's keeping well.

To be fair, it was quite a compelling wee yarn, and I'd might even shout him a drink if he was sat next to me at the bar. Not voting for the cunt though! Fuck's sake!

Zetetic

Yeah, the folksy tales are better than the alternative (from his campaign's perspective, to be clear).

Urinal Cake

Quote from: kngen on September 15, 2019, 07:59:40 PM
To be fair, it was quite a compelling wee yarn, and I'd might even shout him a drink if he was sat next to me at the bar. Not voting for the cunt though! Fuck's sake!
Doesn't Biden just steal/makes up these stories though?

Twed

Either way, his instincts around black kids are to start reeling off Huckleberry Finn stories

Dex Sawash

"Used a chain to face down a darkie (as we called them back then) and came away with a better understanding and anew darkie friend"

Twed

By using my white powers of reason, the blacks saw me as a kind of king. So remember that, blacklings, should you be tempted to revert to your primitive ways.

One day I will hold dominion over you all.

marquis_de_sad

Beto is doing an AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/d6etv5/hi_im_beto_orourke_a_candidate_for_president/

At the moment a lot of questions about guns. So far no answers (but it's only 30 minutes in).

imitationleather

Anyone asked him why he loves standing on cars so much?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: imitationleather on September 19, 2019, 04:10:13 PM
Anyone asked him why he loves standing on cars so much?

Future President Beto has been very clear about his stance on cars: wide legged, hunched, a preppy silver-haired Shaggy with a microphone, spitting a hip message of peace instead of foiling unnecessarily elaborate hoaxes by disguised criminals. De-flaming instead of inflaming. Bringing us together instead of driving (car metaphor) us further apart. Confident about the future and Beto's role in it - not walling us off (Trump reference) from the rest of the world, or putting kids in cages or turning our back on the greatest challenge we've ever faced, climate. [Should we put climate change here? No, that's too specific, be vague, let what you say mean anything] Vote Beto.

marquis_de_sad

He's deleting comments already

Twed

His campaign slogan should just be "Fail Upwards".

It's amazing that he was unaware enough to announce his campaign with "I was born to be in it". May as well run with "vote for me, because I would personally enjoy it".

Apparently mush brained Donald Trump must have made some throwaway, nonsensical comment to a Ukrainian official about "our big beautiful military" helping stop the Huns (or some other inaccurate, geopolitically obtuse enemy) if they would "look into this really bad guy Joe Biden" etc., and now we will all live in Corporate Media Hell for another 14+ months.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on September 19, 2019, 05:11:39 PM
His campaign slogan should just be "Fail Upwards".

It's amazing that he was unaware enough to announce his campaign with "I was born to be in it". May as well run with "vote for me, because I would personally enjoy it".

I'll never vote for any candidate that openly wants to take my firearms away. I support federal background checks, safe storage laws, magazine capacity regulation, and removal of firearms for anyone with a criminal conviction by law enforcement. Happy to answer questions as to why that is.

Sorry Beto, you've gone off the deep end for me. Another one bites the dust. Viva Sanders/Warren.

I'm Canadian, so not Beto's problem I suppose.

Twed

Is that your main reason for not liking Beto, a suburban puddle?

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on September 20, 2019, 01:56:22 PM
Is that your main reason for not liking Beto, a suburban puddle?

No, he doesn't seem to know why he's running and neither does anyone else. He's decided to become a single-issue campaign in the hopes of staying relevant enough to merit a cabinet position in the new administration. My point was that the issue he picked is not a strong one to campaign on outside of NYC and LA so it'll probably hasten the end of his campaign. Try telling farmers in Iowa or NH you want their guns and see how far your campaign goes.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2019, 03:22:10 PM
No, he doesn't seem to know why he's running and neither does anyone else. He's decided to become a single-issue campaign in the hopes of staying relevant enough to merit a cabinet position in the new administration. My point was that the issue he picked is not a strong one to campaign on outside of NYC and LA so it'll probably hasten the end of his campaign. Try telling farmers in Iowa or NH you want their guns and see how far your campaign goes.

The are approximately zero farmers on Earth who own fancy cock-substitute assault rifles. Another invented culture wars issue on behalf of maybe 2-3% of the population.

Ferris

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 21, 2019, 02:59:36 PM
The are approximately zero farmers on Earth who own fancy cock-substitute assault rifles. Another invented culture wars issue on behalf of maybe 2-3% of the population.

Well, that's a bit of a misnomer. No civilians in the US own assault rifles. Some pre-'86 select fire rifles and lowers are owned by trusts with trustees in the US but they are exceptionally rare and require a lot of paperwork.

What you (and every politician under the sun) are talking about is semi-automatic rifles that don't have wooden stocks, and there are myriad owners of those in the rural US. A quick google reckons firearm ownership in Iowa is 50%, but those are registered firearms so I'd guess the actual number is much higher. Beto wants to pitch them on "I'll take away your private property" and he's free to do it, but it isn't going to work because taking all semi-auto rifles off every person in the US is a complete non-starter. You are talking about hundreds of millions or firearms.

He needs to focus on background checks, safe storage laws, and magazine capacity restrictions and then I'm with him. This is effective (and popular) harm reduction which will actually work based on the data available, rather than nonsensical promises.

Twed

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 21, 2019, 03:56:28 PM
What you (and every politician under the sun) are talking about is semi-automatic rifles that don't have wooden stocks
Ah okay, I feel okay about all those dead children now.

kngen

Some sort of mental health infrastructure that was available to everyone not just rich cunts going through a mid-life crisis would be nice, too. A 3% tax across the board for all gun and gun-related purchases ($28bn in revenue annually) wouldn't be a bad start to get that sort of thing off the ground.

Zetetic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2019, 03:37:56 AM
I support federal background checks, ... removal of firearms for anyone with a criminal conviction by law enforcement. Happy to answer questions as to why that is.
Anything to do with black people?

That's not meant to wind you up, but rather about how those mechanisms actually work in the US. What gets you on the NICS isn't exactly bias-free.

Zetetic

In the interests of disclosure, I'd vote for any President who promised to attempt to confiscate all private firearms and thereby start a civil war. A civil war which, to be honest, would probably affect the poor (and therefore African-Americans) disproportionately in practice. So I'm not pretending to be any better than you.

Luckily I'm also not American, so this is irrelevant.

Fambo Number Mive

It's interesting that in the UK we still have a surprsingly high number of people who own guns.

From 2015:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/number-guns-uk-record-high-6509872

Quote...There were more than 1.3 million shotguns and 525,125 other firearms covered by licences at the end of March, official data showed.

The combined total of 1,863,524 is the largest recorded since statistics were first collected in 1995.

It was also revealed that the number of holders of some guns is at its highest level for more than a quarter of a century.

There were 153,603 firearms certificates, which cover guns other than shotguns such as rifles, on issue earlier this year - the highest number since 1988. A certificate can cover several guns...

So as recently as 2015,  more people owned guns in the UK than currently live in Exeter. And that's not including shotgun owners. (Or people who own guns illegally of course, which is probably quite high given how society is)

Not that that makes US gun laws any less outdated and perverse.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on September 21, 2019, 04:21:56 PM
Ah okay, I feel okay about all those dead children now.

Well it helps to define terms. When a politician says "assault weapons", I hear "I don't know what I'm talking about". You can't legislate the problem from a position of ignorance, and you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Quote from: kngen on September 21, 2019, 05:39:57 PM
Some sort of mental health infrastructure that was available to everyone not just rich cunts going through a mid-life crisis would be nice, too. A 3% tax across the board for all gun and gun-related purchases ($28bn in revenue annually) wouldn't be a bad start to get that sort of thing off the ground.

I don't think owning firearms should be encouraged, so I'd be entirely up for this. Extra taxes are a good thing - I think owning guns is fine, but it is also dangerous and shouldn't be easy to do (like driving a large truck or distilling your own whiskey - laws and licensing are critical). Extra taxes and legislation to deal with is fine by me.

Quote from: Zetetic on September 21, 2019, 05:42:10 PM
Anything to do with black people?

That's not meant to wind you up, but rather about how those mechanisms actually work in the US. What gets you on the NICS isn't exactly bias-free.

No I totally get your point. It would not be a perfect system, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 21, 2019, 06:16:00 PM
It's interesting that in the UK we still have a surprsingly high number of people who own guns.

From 2015:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/number-guns-uk-record-high-6509872

So as recently as 2015,  more people owned guns in the UK than currently live in Exeter. And that's not including shotgun owners. (Or people who own guns illegally of course, which is probably quite high given how society is)

Not that that makes US gun laws any less outdated and perverse.

I own firearms in the UK. The laws are very strict, and rightfully so. I think both the UK and Canadian models work well. California and NY have very similar laws to Canada, the US just needs to enact those laws federally. My point was if Beto was pursuing this argument, I'd be all for it - he was promising unworkable nonsense because it's a good soundbite and fits on bumper stickers. My conclusion: he's either dim, ignorant, or is in it for himself.