Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

Blumf

Quote from: Twed on February 01, 2019, 11:40:37 PM
It is shaping up to be a hopeless campaign. Look at this train wreck: https://facts.elizabethwarren.com/

Just don't do that. Don't make a presidential campaign with a website that says "NO, ELIZABETH DOES NOT TAKE RISPERDAL" in big letters.

The Mr Show Fairsley Food Ads made real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrWXEG_-F-Q

Twed

Mister Six

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 02, 2019, 12:07:59 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK

why would you even acknowledge that shit

I actually had to check the details at the bottom of the page to confirm this wasn't some elaborate reverse psychology by a GOP-backed mastermind.

Cuellar

It is shaping up to be a hopeless campaign. Look at this train wreck: https://facts.elizabethwarren.com/

Just don't do that. Don't make a presidential campaign with a website that says "NO, ELIZABETH DOES NOT TAKE RISPERDAL" in big letters.

WOW THAT'S INSPIRING WHAT'S RISPERDAL

finnquark

Has Dwayne Johnson declared his candidacy yet? Oprah? Let's go all in, the whole hog.

kngen

'To prove you are not a robot please click on all the pictures of NON-racist decorations'

ToneLa

Quote from: garnish on January 27, 2019, 12:30:49 AM
Yes I wonder how likely it is that Trump runs again next year - between being indicted, slipping into a diabetic coma or just plain get the hump and sacking it in, there's a lot of ways for him to go.

If he doesn't run, his insufferable cunt supporters will claim 'he retired undefeated'

... Still. Worth it.

machotrouts

Fucking losing it over this!

NO, ELIZABETH WARREN DOES NOT HAVE A RACIST ARTIFACT IN HER KITCHEN

Every word of it is perfect. It's like the funniest Clickhole headline ever.

"That couldn't be further from the truth." What could that POSSIBLY even MEAN? She has an artifact that is in some way actively opposed to racism? Personally I feel like you either have a racist artifact in your kitchen or you don't. Yes, there are degrees of racism, but if I had an artifact in my kitchen with no racist qualities, I wouldn't go bragging "this artifact couldn't be further from racism". Is that line for people on the fence, who might be thinking "well, maybe she doesn't have an extremely racist artifact in her kitchen... maybe she just has a slightly racist artifact in her kitchen"?

Urinal Cake

Yeah Warren doesn't have the stomach/nous for politics. I know there's a lot to be positive about for getting things out of the cupboard as opposed to the Govenor of Virginia. But not like this.

Dex Sawash

When did you stop keeping racist items in your kitchen?

Paul Calf

Or, a handy database of smears for you to use against our Lizzy that people have probably heard before and so probably have a better chance of landing.

'I don't have a racist artifact in my kitchen: should take the place of '...bone in my body' as the racist's

Or, a handy database of smears for you to use against our Lizzy that people have probably heard before and so probably have a better chance of landing.

'I don't have a racist artifact in my kitchen: should take the place of '...bone in my body' as the racist's first choice of futile denial.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 02, 2019, 02:46:40 AM
When did you stop keeping racist items in your kitchen?

Late '90s after my mum read about it in the Observer Weekend magazine

Thursday

I don't have a racist artifact in my kitchen, but...

jobotic

Oh here we go, they're going to play the racist artifact in your kitchen card again.

Mister Six

Cory Booker (and 12 other Democrats) voted against Bernie Sanders' largely symbolic amendment urging the US federal government to let Americans buy prescription drugs from Canada, where they're cheaper: https://theintercept.com/2017/01/12/cory-booker-joins-senate-republicans-to-kill-measure-to-import-cheaper-medicine-from-canada/

QuoteIn a statement to the media after the vote, Booker's office said he supports the importation of prescription drugs but that "any plan to allow the importation of prescription medications should also include consumer protections that ensure foreign drugs meet American safety standards. I opposed an amendment put forward last night that didn't meet this test."

But:

QuoteThis argument is the same one offered by the pharmaceutical industry. The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), which lobbies against importation, maintains that it opposes importation because "foreign governments will not ensure that prescription drugs entering the U.S. from abroad are safe and effective."

This argument is the same one offered by the pharmaceutical industry. The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), which lobbies against importation, maintains that it opposes importation because "foreign governments will not ensure that prescription drugs entering the U.S. from abroad are safe and effective."

The safety excuse has long been a refuge for policymakers who don't want to assist Americans struggling with prescription drug costs. Bills to legalize importation passed in 2000 and 2007, but expired after the Clinton and Bush administrations refused to certify that it would be safe. The Obama administration also cited safety concerns when opposing an importation measure in the Affordable Care Act.

A second amendment Wednesday, authored by Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden, would have allowed importation pending a safety certification, just like the previous laws passed on the subject. It also failed. Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., used that amendment to claim on Twitter that he voted "to lower drug prices through importation from Canada," and Booker referred to the Wyden amendment in his statement as well. This is a well-worn tactic from opponents of importation to mislead their constituents, as they know such certification will never occur.

The safety excuse is mostly a chimera, as most of the drugs that would be imported from Canada were originally manufactured in the United States; they're just cheaper there, because the Canadian government uses a review board and price negotiation to make drugs more affordable.

Twed

Breaking news: Stirrings of a possible campaign of Russia supporting Tulsi Gabbard

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/russia-s-propaganda-machine-discovers-2020-democratic-candidate-tulsi-gabbard-n964261

We are living in dark times when the Western media can pull this shit. "We are scared of the economic left-wing, so we will use our considerably clout to poison the well with reds under the bed scare-mongering".

And then it gets worse: https://theintercept.com/2019/02/03/nbc-news-to-claim-russia-supports-tulsi-gabbard-relies-on-firm-just-caught-fabricating-russia-data-for-the-democratic-party/

Z

Booker hasn't a chance in hell (very much agree with the Chapo Trap House assessment that he's just a weird guy and that's enough to doom him) so I see him as a guy who mostly serves to damage the campaigns of a few other DNC types.

touchingcloth

It couldn't be further from the truth? What, like she's built a house in the exact midpoint of all racist artifacts?

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 03, 2019, 11:46:02 PM
It couldn't be further from the truth? What, like she's built a house in the exact midpoint of all racist artifacts?

She has loads of anti-racist vases or something. Why does she respond to this stupid shit? Just laugh it off and move on - I'm sure right-wing twitter really gives a shit about the racial aspect of her crockery. It'd be over in a day if she left it.

Twed

"Did Kamala Harris Once Boast About Prosecuting a Homeless Mother?"

Article pretty much says "well that's not strictly true because it was more of a gloat than a boast and also it was good so aaaaaaah".

I had a racist pot. You wouldn't believe what it used to say about my kettle.

hedgehog90

Pot calling the kettle the n-word?

mojo filters

Quote from: Twed on February 03, 2019, 02:36:18 PM
Breaking news: Stirrings of a possible campaign of Russia supporting Tulsi Gabbard

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/russia-s-propaganda-machine-discovers-2020-democratic-candidate-tulsi-gabbard-n964261

We are living in dark times when the Western media can pull this shit. "We are scared of the economic left-wing, so we will use our considerably clout to poison the well with reds under the bed scare-mongering".

And then it gets worse: https://theintercept.com/2019/02/03/nbc-news-to-claim-russia-supports-tulsi-gabbard-relies-on-firm-just-caught-fabricating-russia-data-for-the-democratic-party/

I have to be honest and concede I know those NBC reporters who "broke" the Tulsi Gabbard-Russia story. They are normally reputable sources. Sadly I think they are dead wrong; I am not alone.

Gabbard came into 30 Rock for a Morning Joe roasting a few days ago. She held her end up well, given the circumstances. Maybe she is a Russian agent? If so, it makes no sense - wrong person, wrong platform, etc etc. At worst, she's a diversionary tactic (and ineffective if so).

Like Kirsten Gilibrand, she'll be out of the race faster than Biden can count up his chequered years in "public service". Don't waste time on the time-wasters!

Cory Booker by contrast could go far. He's not everyone's cup of proverbial tea, but he has a solid long history in NJ. He'll get faster to a presser than Chris Christie to a fat feast, without any Bridgegate history clouding his run.

I hoped Liz Warren would go far, but I suspect my initial predication that she's better suited to a left-wing Gary Cohn NEC type role was more accurate.

She's a die hard technocrat anyways, so should thrive in that kind of role. It was what she always wanted with the original CFPB, but Obama hedged on her confirmation - leaving a lesser qualified candidate to take that on full time (after all her good and hard work).

I'm surprised Sherrod Brown's name has not appeared more prominently here. Once he's tired of telling everyone about the "dignity of work" he should declare - at which point he'll become a clear front runner.

He might seem like all gravelly voiced and unkempt shirts right now, but put him and his separately highly accomplished wife on the national stage - the Democrats could potentially sew up the Midwest / rustbelt heartlands and coastal elites in one fell swoop, before anyone has a chance to ask about potential running mates!

Kamala Harris has made the best of rolling out an unseemly process so far, but her appeal is potentially limited to coastal voters. I see her doing nothing to change that, plus if that's her base - she has a lot of questions to answer from uber-SJW's about her CA AG period.

Cory Booker may be too centrist for some tastes, but he's worked damn hard to get where he is. Back in his Newark Mayoral days, he would hang with the hard drug dealers all night to boost his credentials and demonstrate his taste for his home town and local environs  (where he still lives).

So far this race is at best a stroll and maybe a trot. The cantoring and galloping will come later, so hang fire and don't count anyone in or out yet...except Gabbard and Gilibrand (they were both fucked from the outset anyways).

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: mojo filters on February 08, 2019, 02:02:43 AM
He'll get faster to a presser than Chris Christie to a fat feast, without any Bridgegate history clouding his run.

Is this still English?

biggytitbo

Whatever her other faults I'm really liking Tulsi Gabbard's ability to skew the very heart of Washington's bipartisan consensus on perpetual war and piss off virtually everyone in the process.

Twed

She's exercising the center right's ability to get the media to publish smears against their enemies. A bit of a practice smear on a low-value target before they have to mobilize to take down an actual threat.

Some positive thoughts about Elizabeth Warren's campaign: a very Christian, close-minded, gen-x hispanic acquaintance is extremely passionate about Warren, and will be attending her official announcement in Lawrence this weekend. An anecdotal single-point of non-data, but it gives me hope that an economically progressive candidate has broad appeal.

Mister Six

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 08, 2019, 03:49:08 PM
Is this still English?

"He will go to a press event for coverage faster than famously fat New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will go to fill his face. And unlike Christie, who is also a media whore, he hasn't been linked to a political scandal."

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 04:32:27 PM
Some positive thoughts about Elizabeth Warren's campaign: a very Christian, close-minded, gen-x hispanic acquaintance is extremely passionate about Warren, and will be attending her official announcement in Lawrence this weekend. An anecdotal single-point of non-data, but it gives me hope that an economically progressive candidate has broad appeal.

What interests her about Warren? The economic stuff or something else?

Given what Jesus had to say about helping the poor, and the rich being a poor fit for Heaven, I imagine there would be good hay to be made by an economically left-wing Christian candidate (although obviously they'd be pushing against the tide of gouging, cynical mega-church cunts if they wanted to connect to some white voters).

Twed

Quote from: Mister Six on February 08, 2019, 05:00:50 PM
What interests her about Warren? The economic stuff or something else?
Fuck knows, I don't interact with this person often because they usually start telling me that halloween is evil or whatever.

Mister Six