Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

Twed

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 13, 2019, 06:07:16 PM
Hasn't Hilary missed the boat for a number of states already? Or that's what I read anyway, I don't understand this stuff.
I think the filing deadlines for some states are around about now.

But the DNC can legally override the primaries and just choose the nominee they want: https://medium.com/theyoungturks/dnc-we-can-legally-choose-candidate-over-cigars-in-back-room-e3026730e252

This is why our focus is directed towards Russia so often.

Urinal Cake

Bloomberg probably thinks he can win (after Biden or Buttigieg falls then consolidating their votes and those of low tier candidates) or at least drag the field back to the right. If Sanders or Warren wins he may a third party candidate. Or let's get crazy 4D chess maybe the plan is he becomes part of Warren's team to marry purgotary and hell.

Clinton isn't rational. She thinks she was robbed. Much like Kanye she has advisors and fans that tell her every vanity projects should be followed through. Right know she's a helicopter parent looking over her more successful children (Chelsea's job is to continue pumping out grandkids for the legacy) Buttigieg, Harris, Booker making sure they do the right thing but ready to step in when her kids are fucking it up.

Dog Botherer

i just cannot see a situation in which Clinton becomes the nominee without clear and flagrant rigging. they just about got away with it last time, and the bias of the DNC is widely known.

just want to get into this fucking primary shit already. so fucking sick of listening to these plastic cunts witter away about their shit policies that no one except 4 guys in a think-tank like. they're all being pure cunts on Twitter about Israel and it's fucking vile.

Urinal Cake

I don't see Clinton being annointed unless the DNC alleges there is voter fraud or the nominees are comprised as foreign assets (Russian/anti-Israel). Even if Sanders got in the Dems have enough to stonewall him on domestic policy etc. But touch foreign and military policy- that's probably that worries them the most.

Clinton is not running, for fuck's sake. This exact same story has been posted every three weeks for the last 3 years to generate hate clicks.

(Though really the basis for this entire pointless campaign process is to make money for media conglomerates)

Urinal Cake

It is sort of amazing how she's hated more than her husband. But she doesn't say this shit to rile up her haters (she probably is confused after Gabbard reacted and then overreacted), actually I'm not sure why she says this shit. The ceiling to sell her book to liberals had probably already been reached maybe it has something to do with the Clinton foundation.

Urinal Cake

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/15/pete-buttigieg-campaign-black-voters/

Quote.Aside from not supporting Buttigieg, many of the South Carolinian signees share another quality, as well: They're not black.
This pure politicking should kill his momentum.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 15, 2019, 10:00:37 PM
https://theintercept.com/2019/11/15/pete-buttigieg-campaign-black-voters/

This pure politicking should kill his momentum.

see you could get away with this kind of cynical shit about 6 or 7 years ago because people weren't hyper-analysing every single thing. this maneuver would have been very successful back then, now it's just embarrassing. centrist Dems still haven't realised that shady shit like this simply does not work anymore.

also it never fails to amuse me how Mayor Pete has absolutely no constituency with anyone except liberal white middle class suburbanites. even his literal constituents seem to have nothing but contempt for him.

peanutbutter

Buttigieg is actually running for 2024 though, isn't he? It totally matches up to the cynicism I'd expect from his campaign, "I'm not going to win this time, but in 4 years when all this Bernie Sanders driven nonsense and another 4 years of Trump is out of the way, I'll be ready to swoop in when people have regained their common sense"

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 15, 2019, 11:27:39 PM
Buttigieg is actually running for 2024 though, isn't he? It totally matches up to the cynicism I'd expect from his campaign, "I'm not going to win this time, but in 4 years when all this Bernie Sanders driven nonsense and another 4 years of Trump is out of the way, I'll be ready to swoop in when people have regained their common sense"

Maybe, but prominent losers from presidential primaries rarely do well four years later, at least in recent decades. And he has no stature to remain in public view unless he can manage to win a House of Representatives seat from Indiana (he has no shot of a Senate seat there, and there may not even be a viable House seat available to him).

I think he figures even if he loses the nomination he will get the VP nod as a "red state Democrat"

Urinal Cake

He's the mayor of a college town and his voters are middle class, educated and white. I don't think the red states see him as one of their boys. In terms of his background and personality he's more Hilary than Bill. If he's made VP it'll be because of his perceived youth/woke factor.

Gabbard seems aiming for a cabinet position or media role. Never really criticized the tip tier candidates like Biden, Sanders or Warren. Yang will become a reference to the next tech guy. But Buttigieg  a guy like that he could he could use his powers for evil for anything.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 16, 2019, 02:22:48 AM
He's the mayor of a college town and his voters are middle class, educated and white. I don't think the red states see him as one of their boys.

They absolutely 100% do not, but I'm talking about the choices the Democratic Party will make rather than anything based in reality. This is the party that thought "Yes, Tim Kaine is really going to put us over the edge."

Urinal Cake

Hilary's whole election strategy was flawed but the other part of the reason she wanted Kaine was that he was going to be an unthinking toady. Buttigieg he'll obey orders for money and rank but I don't think he suffers fools gladly so the idea of a Biden-Buttigieg ticket might look attractive now wouldn't stay that way.

Experiencing a weird irrational thrill that one of my all-time celebrity crushes Norah Jones is a surprise Sanders supporter: https://www.latimes.com/projects/2020-election-celebrity-endorsements/

(I also hereby declare a moratorium on making fun of the Resident Evil movies)

Urinal Cake

Buttigieg has the endorsements from the token left you'd expect -Ellen, Takei, Milano etc. But the more lefties want to Dead zone him the more broadly popular he seems to become.
Also that's why Harris had such a big head but she's just Kilary 2.0.

Ferris

Sin Agog

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 18, 2019, 03:51:58 AM
Experiencing a weird irrational thrill that one of my all-time celebrity crushes Norah Jones is a surprise Sanders supporter: https://www.latimes.com/projects/2020-election-celebrity-endorsements/

(I also hereby declare a moratorium on making fun of the Resident Evil movies)

Great, another bloody Mark David Chapman collage.

(Kinda wish I hadn't seen that.  I mean even one of my favourite musicians Buffy Sainte-Marie gave Warren the equivalent of a PS4 and Sanders the equivalent of a PS4 game.  Guess they're all far more into preserving their wealth or voting for a coldblooded executioner solely because she's black than they let on).

Dog Botherer

well all of the frontrunners except Bernie made absolute fools of themselves tonight, so that's something, right?

can't tell what was funnier, Biden accidentally saying a slur or yelling repeatedly that he was going to  punch domestic violence.

Mate of mine put $20k on Trump to win last time. I'll be asking him where his money is going this time. I'll hyu when he decides.

Urinal Cake

Harris won the stoush with Gabbard. People claiming Buttigieg schooled Gabbard are sort of delusional. Gabbard needs to stay in the race to keep neoliberal in check and for entertainment purposes.

And nobody well Booker or Harris really  dragged Buttigieg for his opt out black plan just points to candidates sharing the same class of donor.

EOLAN

Quote from: Dog Botherer on November 21, 2019, 04:36:00 AM
well all of the frontrunners except Bernie made absolute fools of themselves tonight, so that's something, right?

can't tell what was funnier, Biden accidentally saying a slur or yelling repeatedly that he was going to  punch domestic violence.

Biden saying the only female black Senator supported him; when Kamala Harris was right on the stage with him.

Paul Calf

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 21, 2019, 11:18:46 AM
What was the slur?

a very unfortunate attempt at pronouncing Uyghur.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Dog Botherer on November 21, 2019, 04:36:00 AM

Local people organise viewing parties for these debates. I'm a politically aware person but the thought of having an opinion about these wastes of space who 100% are not going to get the nomination and have nothing new or interesting to say fills me with dread. I do long for the days where the election cycle was about 6 weeks.

Ferris

Whatever else you think about Canadian politics (and most people don't think anything about it at all), having our federal election campaigns legally limited to 6 weeks is a real blessing.

Urinal Cake

It's fine to make people run the gauntlet. In 2016 it showed just how unpopular Hilary was but they decided to tip the scales in her favour anyway. Somebody should tap Biden on the shoulder and say, 'You've got nostalgia on your side but you're senile more than half the time thanks but fuck off.' Get rid of all the people polling less than 5% except for the fighters like Gabbard, Castro etc so people can spar with them.

EOLAN

Bernie Sanders on this week's The Underculture podcast with Bernie Sanders (or is it James Adomian).

pcsjwgm

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1198028454123515904

Someone from an immigrant rights group criticised Joe Biden over Obama-era deportations, and Biden petulantly responded with "You should vote for Trump", which makes no sense at all. Why would someone opposed to deportations vote for Trump, of all people?

timbis

Quote from: EOLAN on November 21, 2019, 08:59:40 PM
Bernie Sanders on this week's The Underculture podcast with Bernie Sanders (or is it James Adomian).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5avtfMXeh40

Video here. It's great.