Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:28:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)
Quote from: Urinal Cake on December 15, 2019, 09:53:05 PM
https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1206247532038381568By 3%. The implication seems to be much like in the UK that immigration is more important than healthcare to voters. Even though the context is totally different and 68% want atleast a Medicare option.

Corbyn's loss has all the political nerds riled up. They want to spill blood before the actual primaries. Cut away key policies and take out base support. Luckily most voters don't really give a fuck about Corbyn and the UK. American exceptionalism finally is a positive.

Polling is a bullshit pseudoscience used to stop any form of change. Plain and simple.

Quote from: Zetetic on December 15, 2019, 10:01:18 PM
Can someone give me a straightforward, to the point of being painfully patronising, explanation why no US state has managed to implement single-payer healthcare?

(I intend "single-payer" broadly - any state-led public universal option is what I mean.)

It's very difficult to do in a single state, for complicated reasons that I can't fully regurgitate but that experts in this area have written about. It's similar to the reason that the "public option" is a bullshit compromise that would impede actual progress. Private insurance needs to be eliminated altogether, full stop.

Massachusetts passed a limited measure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_health_care_reform

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Zetetic on December 15, 2019, 10:11:37 PM
Well, one answer might be "there has never been a mandate to do so" but 1) that doesn't seem to be entirely true and 2) that's not really a sufficiently thorough explanation either under the circumstances.
It is ideological especially regarding state's rights, privatization etc.  For example MedicAid is federally funded program but implemented by a state. Most states have outsourced/privatised this function to third parties. This has been done by putting the poor, disabled and elederly etc on a private healthcare plan but the state pays the premium. If a state is so hands off regarding the most vulnerable people in it's society what impeatus do they have to expand single-payer healthcare to everyone?

Zetetic

Right, but these aren't essential properties of a 'state', are they? And there's obviously massive variation between states in how "hands off" they are with various public questions? (To the point of Vermont seemingly attempting to setup a public single-payer-ish healthcare system at one point.)

What I'm interested in is why (which I appreciate is a matter of ideological bents of different states and their electorates), and what the constraints are.

Thanks Pearly-Dewdrops Drops; I can sort of see the shape of some of the problems with trying to implement it in a single state (and, as you say, how these overlap with the problem of dealing with the existing private insurance system in the US).

Dewt

Zetetic

Why is it so hard for a state to implement a publicly-funded healthcare system in the US? Taxation? Federal regulation?

Or is it not hard, and there's not been enough concentrated support for it? Or what?

Urinal Cake

Here a hypothetical on a wealthy, liberal state that would like to implement single payer  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/25/business/economy/california-single-payer.html

Zetetic

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on December 15, 2019, 11:39:54 PM
Talk like human

DOES NOT COMPUTE

01000100 01101111 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01110101 01110100 01100101

Dewt

Quote from: Zetetic on December 15, 2019, 11:41:50 PM
Why is it so hard for a state to implement a publicly-funded healthcare system in the US? Taxation? Federal regulation?

Or is it not hard, and there's not been enough concentrated support for it? Or what?
They have to buy everything from the same artificially-inflated market as the for-profit systems, for one. And state taxes are far less pliable than government ones. States can't do things like taxing wealth.

Blumf

You know how the Republican's are tough on crime?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/12/kentuckys-republican-governor-bevin-pardons-hundreds-convicted-murders-rapists.html
QuoteKentucky Gov. Matt Bevin's term came to an end Tuesday, but not before the Republican took one final chance to kick the concept of justice in the shins on the way out the door by issuing a slew of highly controversial pardons
Among the pardoned was Patrick Baker, who served just two years of a 19-year sentence for reckless homicide, impersonating a police officer, and tampering with evidence. Baker was convicted along with two others for a deadly 2014 home invasion where a father was killed in front of his family. Baker's brother and sister-in-law raised $21,500 last year to retire Bevin's 2015 gubernatorial campaign debt. They also donated $4,000 at the July 2018 fundraiser held at their home.
In addition, Bevin pardoned a man who was sentenced last year to 23 years in prison for raping a 9-year-old child

Yeah, me neither.

Dewt

Looks like Joe Pera's evil twin brother who was forced to eat an entire witch's shit at birth.

Urinal Cake

The Buttigieg Wine Caves. Even Pete's aspirational voters must be think this is a once in a lifetime  time holiday for us but to them it's just an evening https://mobile.twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/1206670862356819968

Dewt

Pretty sure the one black face in those photos is staff.

Urinal Cake

I don't know what annoys me more. Buttigieg sans coat but with tie probably having his sleeves rolled half way up his forearm like some 50s car salesman. Or the guy in the last photo directly in front of the camera just wearing a crew neck like he's just catching up with some friend for a quick meal. Oh shit in the second photo there's just a guy in shorts.
$2800 for a plate you'd think you dress up. Time to drink the rich.

Cuellar

There's nothing about Buttigieg that doesn't remind me of Hannibal Lecter as portrayed by Mads Mikkelsen.

Mister Six

Thank Christ he's not as suave and sexy as Mikkelsen or there would be no hope.

pcsjwgm

The NYT's attempt to portray Cenk Uygur as sympathetic to David Duke, by selectively quoting a sarcastic reply from a video in which Uygur is slamming Duke, is a malicious fabrication on the level of Andrew Breitbart's attack on Shirley Sherrod.
https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1206338285007757312

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: pcsjwgm on December 17, 2019, 02:06:58 PM
The NYT's attempt to portray Cenk Uygur as sympathetic to David Duke, by selectively quoting a sarcastic reply from a video in which Uygur is slamming Duke, is a malicious fabrication on the level of Andrew Breitbart's attack on Shirley Sherrod.
https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1206338285007757312

This deserves to blow up.

Nb: to any NYT reporters reading this, I mean "blow up" in the figurative sense, i.e., to become a popular topic of discussion.

Dewt

Donald Glover has endorsed Andrew Yang, which is fucking dumb.

Dewt

Obama keeps sticking his head out of his mansion to shit on Bernie, so presumably he's going to endorse somebody at the exact strategically-perfect moment to scupper his chances

Cuellar

If he doesn't endorse Biden that'd be a bit of a slap in the face, no?

Dewt

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/474777-sanders-surges-ahead-of-iowa-caucuses

QuoteFormer President Obama has reportedly told those close to him that he'd speak out against Sanders if he continues to build momentum, and some believe that other party leaders would join a concerted "anyone but Bernie" effort to block him from winning the nomination, if it comes to that.

Stop using your power to protect the wealthy you utter shit

easytarget

Quote from: Dewt on December 18, 2019, 09:54:17 PM
Kinda on brand for Donny boy if you've seen his dumb stand up.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Cuellar on December 18, 2019, 09:58:35 PM
If he doesn't endorse Biden that'd be a bit of a slap in the face, no?
Obama is about Obama. He wants to back a winner after Clinton embarrassed him. Obama on a personal level doesn't really seem to get on well with anyone.

Quote from: Dewt on December 18, 2019, 10:06:14 PM
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/474777-sanders-surges-ahead-of-iowa-caucuses

The problem with legacy politics.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dewt on December 18, 2019, 09:54:17 PM

Mad, considering the general message of Atlanta.

Quote from: Dewt on December 18, 2019, 10:06:14 PM

Well he is the wealthy, so...

Dewt

Quote from: Mister Six on December 19, 2019, 01:48:50 AM
Mad, considering the general message of Atlanta.
Yeah, that's what disappointed me.

I hear that Yang went to Gambino gigs so I guess they became friends. Politicians schmoozing with celebs rarely works out well.

Urinal Cake

They both share the same fanbase.

Dewt