Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

imitationleather

Quote from: Twed on March 14, 2019, 09:09:32 PM
Yang's UBI petrifies me. Give everybody $1000 a month and watch everything become more expensive to the tune of $1000 per month. Watch the meagre, existing benefits system use it as an excuse not to pay out. Watch employers pay less. Watch the $1000 not increase with inflation.

It's not even vaguely an amount anybody could live on. It's an absolute nightmarish idea that must not happen. UBI has to be a livable amount or it's a curse.

I'd not realised he was suggesting it would be $1k a month. That does seem to be missing the point of the whole concept of UBI, and under those conditions reduces it to effectively a tax rebate.

Urinal Cake

Beto is the guy you'd want as a neighbour.

My sense is that he's been forward to run as the centrist candidate.  He doesn't have as much baggage as Harris or Biden to alienate the left-wing. His youth and charisma will get him through. Secondly he'll campaign very hard as shown in Texas- no Clinton hubris or old age here. Lastly due to his campaign and tenacity in Texas he'll be competitive in GOP states.

He could be VP to satisfy Independents/GOP plus he has enough time for a tilt himself in 2028.

Warren-O'Rourke 2020.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on March 14, 2019, 09:09:32 PM
Yang's UBI petrifies me. Give everybody $1000 a month and watch everything become more expensive to the tune of $1000 per month. Watch the meagre, existing benefits system use it as an excuse not to pay out. Watch employers pay less. Watch the $1000 not increase with inflation.

It's not even vaguely an amount anybody could live on. It's an absolute nightmarish idea that must not happen. UBI has to be a livable amount or it's a curse.

The idea was (in Ontario at least) that the UBI amount was a supplement to any existing income you had, no? Just meant you could work part time or I guess not at all if you fancied living on fuck all.

I don't think it was intended as a 100% replacement for a job, though I may well be mistaken. Just wanted to lob that observation in.

Urinal Cake

The right wing objective of UBI is to reduce/eliminate social security or 'hand outs.'

It's probably too early for UBI to have any real social and political cut through. The idea of 'giving money for nothing' is abhorrent for a lot of people.

Twed

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 15, 2019, 12:57:08 AM\
I don't think it was intended as a 100% replacement for a job, though I may well be mistaken. Just wanted to lob that observation in.
Right, which means that its intention is to destroy social security, and so that the likes of Walmart can employ people for even less money.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on March 15, 2019, 02:06:34 AM
Right, which means that its intention is to destroy social security, and so that the likes of Walmart can employ people for even less money.

Probably, yes. If you're Walmart why pay someone a living wage if you can pay them half a living wage and Uncle Sam will give them the rest? Nice saving for you at the expense of John Q Taxpayer.

Socialize cost, privatize profit. Kerr-chinggg!

Blumf

Beto O'Rourke - Super Hacker?

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-politics-beto-orourke/
QuoteOne thing you didn't know: While a teenager, O'Rourke acknowledged in an exclusive interview, he belonged to the oldest group of computer hackers in U.S. history.

The hugely influential Cult of the Dead Cow, jokingly named after an abandoned Texas slaughterhouse, is notorious for releasing tools that allowed ordinary people to hack computers running Microsoft's Windows. It's also known for inventing the word "hacktivism" to describe human-rights-driven security work.

Members of the group have protected O'Rourke's secret for decades, reluctant to compromise his political viability. Now, in a series of interviews, CDC members have acknowledged O'Rourke as one of their own. In all, more than a dozen members of the group agreed to be named for the first time in a book about the hacking group by this reporter that is scheduled to be published in June by Public Affairs. O'Rourke was interviewed early in his run for the Senate.

Whut?

Twed

In that case here's an article he wrote about mowing down some children in his car: http://www.textfiles.com/groups/CDC/visions.crusade

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on March 15, 2019, 05:36:02 PM
In that case here's an article he wrote about mowing down some children in his car: http://www.textfiles.com/groups/CDC/visions.crusade

When he was 15, if that was by him.

Twed

Yes, but I don't like him and I want him to go away, so I am encouraging it to be used against him.

Twed

https://twitter.com/davidsiders/status/1106643148669939712

LOL

He can barely fill a room on his announcement day:

I command more of an audience than that and I'm basically a shut-in

Twed

Beto O'Rourke storms Iowa

QuoteThe crowd grew to more than 120 people...

STORMING

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on March 15, 2019, 07:27:10 PM
Yes, but I don't like him and I want him to go away, so I am encouraging it to be used against him.

Great, hope you're equally enthusiastic about Sanders' dismal rape essay. You can't give the benefit of the doubt to one and not the other. Or you can, but it make you look a bit petty and daft, and undermines your other, more salient points about dismal centrist corporate shill Dems and the media that unduly supports them.

QDRPHNC

Twed

Quote from: Mister Six on March 15, 2019, 07:59:58 PM
Great, hope you're equally enthusiastic about Sanders' dismal rape essay. You can't give the benefit of the doubt to one and not the other. Or you can, but it make you look a bit petty and daft, and undermines your other, more salient points about dismal centrist corporate shill Dems and the media that unduly supports them.
You are constantly publicly edging over creamy Neoliberals and it's very tiresome and smelly. I don't want to play your game of giving the media-backed candidates a level playing field, because unlike you I am not standing in a wet patch of my own creation. Also you've massively misrepresented that essay, but of course you have. You reserve your fairness for people who quite like it when we die to make them richer.

let's get to the real shit: do people think Beto is handsome? because i can't say i see it

Dex Sawash

Handsomer than Ted Cruz w/o beard

pcsjwgm

David Sirota on Beto O'Rourke's voting record (from December):

Beto O'Rourke frequently voted for Republican legislation, analysis reveals
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/20/beto-orourke-congressional-votes-analysis-capital-and-main

Beto O'Rourke is the new Obama. And that's the last thing we need
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/22/beto-orourke-voting-record-2020-election-democrats

Z

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 15, 2019, 08:14:10 PM
let's get to the real shit: do people think Beto is handsome? because i can't say i see it
He's tall and was against Ted Cruz

Yes, but I don't like him and I want him to go away

Beto is probably taking votes away from Biden if anybody.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 15, 2019, 07:59:58 PM

Have you actually read the Sanders essay? It's not something he would want to publish in 2019, but it is far from "dismal" and the mainstream reporting of it as a "rape fantasy" is embarrassing.

Paul Calf

To fight the monster we must become the monster?

Twed

Becoming the monster in this case would be propping up an evil right wing society of oligarchs that feeds off its citizens. Pointing out that Robert isn't a heaven sent manifestation of coolness and good vibes (which is currently his main selling point) isn't really the same as joining Correct the Record now is it?

Also I was joking a bit with my response about using it against him unfairly but you are a prematurely-aged spittle generation unit so that's lost with you.

Twed

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1106646861291626509?s=19

"Man, I'm just born to be in it" as the main soundbite of his campaign is hilariously misjudged and incompetent. Even Kamala has a better campaign than "it would be really cool for me personally to be president'.

Although, there was "I'm With Her". These people can't recognise what they're doing wrong.

rjd2

Some Beto supporters may try and spin the lukewarm response to his announcement as just "the extremes" but that would be lazy, plenty of centre left are "meh" and they were very excited about Harris.

Have some pity for Warren also, some interesting stuff she is proposing recently, but her polling numbers are dismal. Imagine if she had endorsed Bernie in 2016, she'd have been in such a better position now.

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on March 15, 2019, 08:07:08 PM
You are constantly publicly edging over creamy Neoliberals and it's very tiresome and smelly.

That's not how you spell "You dislike acting like a halfwit teenager who discovered a leftist Facebook group about two months ago and now wants to impress all the other kids by parroting the stuff he's seen other people write without the slightest modicum of higher thought," but you do you, I guess.

Having read up on O'Rourke I have no interest in him winning, but I also have no interest in making leftists look like a fucking embarrassment by reprinting shit he wrote when he was 15 like it fucking matters. It's like the MAGA cunts sharing that video of AOC dancing - it makes you look desperate, and it's embarrassing.

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 16, 2019, 04:04:23 AM
Have you actually read the Sanders essay? It's not something he would want to publish in 2019, but it is far from "dismal" and the mainstream reporting of it as a "rape fantasy" is embarrassing.

Yeah, I read it. It's garbled borderline nonsense. I don't at all think it was intended maliciously, but that wasn't my point - you can't be against media misreporting of that essay (as I'm sure Twed is) while simultaneously doing the same thing with some edgelord short story O'Rourke wrote when he was 15.

Or you can, but it makes you a bit of a tit

Paul Calf

Quote from: Twed on March 16, 2019, 04:45:43 AM

Also I was joking a bit with my response about using it against him unfairly but you are a prematurely-aged spittle generation unit so that's lost with you.

Of course you were. It's amazing how often people were 'joking' when they're pulled up on their shitey behaviour.

Are you finished being a charmless, petulant cock-end yet or shall I ignore your next few posts?

Twed

Quote from: Mister Six on March 16, 2019, 04:03:42 PM
Yeah, I read it. It's garbled borderline nonsense. I don't at all think it was intended maliciously, but that wasn't my point - you can't be against media misreporting of that essay (as I'm sure Twed is) while simultaneously doing the same thing with some edgelord short story O'Rourke wrote when he was 15.

Thank you for explaining what you think I think. The best thing that could have happened was Sander's piece being covered in the media, because apart from the frothing fringes it was put into context and some even highlighted that it was a clumsy attempt at feminism (and not clumsy at all for its era).

I've also actively shared stories that were negative about Sanders in the past. I'm not interested in blindly following somebody. That's a personality cult, not progress.

Why waste your time being angry at people's fire? Your tone-policing is dull, unproductive and inaccurate, and leads to you being gracious and enabling to monsters and their supporters.

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 16, 2019, 04:10:15 PM
Are you finished being a charmless, petulant cock-end yet or shall I ignore your next few posts?
You can't. You are your namesake but with the wit removed, constantly looking for a reason to be angry with anybody you think has ideas above their station. It's what fuels you. Almost everything you say is in the meta, your post history boils down to reacting to people with variations on what is essentially tutting. You are a dull slab with no output of his own, and the sooner you realise that I can never be convinced that what I post isn't inherently better than that the better.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 16, 2019, 04:03:42 PM

Bit of a stretch to read that as the implication of your previous post, but fair enough.

I only make a point of it because there is going to be a sustained propaganda campaign to portray Jeremy Corbyn Bernie Sanders as anti-Semitic sexist and racist over the next couple years, and that essay is frequently cited as evidence of Bernie The Ur-Bro fantasizing about raping women, when in reality it is not remotely offensive and is an attempt to critique the way women are treated in society.