Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:10:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

Paul Calf

Quote from: Twed on March 16, 2019, 04:20:05 PM
You can't. You are your namesake but with the wit removed, constantly looking for a reason to be angry with anybody you think has ideas above their station. It's what fuels you. Almost everything you say is in the meta, your post history boils down to reacting to people with variations on what is essentially tutting. You are a dull slab with no output of his own, and the sooner you realise that I can never be convinced that what I post isn't inherently better than that the better.

You could be the Left's secret weapon, if only you were a right-winger...

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on March 16, 2019, 04:20:05 PM
Why waste your time being angry at people's fire? Your tone-policing is dull, unproductive and inaccurate, and leads to you being gracious and enabling to monsters and their supporters.

Because stuff like that does more harm to the leftist cause than it does to O'Rourke and his ilk, just like - as I said - MAGA twats sharing AOC's video damaged them. That's unproductive.

Monsieur Verdoux, meanwhile, shared that rather good article breaking down why O'Rourke is such a nonentity. A much better way to actually change people's minds.

(Also I'm not policing the tone of that post, I'm policing its shitty content.)

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 16, 2019, 04:34:06 PM
Bit of a stretch to read that as the implication of your previous post, but fair enough.

Well no, not a stretch, since that's what I was implying. And I should know, since I am, in fact, me.

Twed

People are not separated into good engagey boys and the alt left. There is nothing more useful to the center and all to the right of them than people acting in a way that appeals to old matrons. Look at the current outrage directed at the young grieving Muslim girl for taking Chelsea Clinton to task right now.

Stop wasting your time. You cannot tell me off. And I mean incapable, not disallowed.

Twed

Too much invective on both our parts I think. I'm sure we're on the same side but let people be angry. It's necessary.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on March 16, 2019, 10:09:12 PM
Too much invective on both our parts I think. I'm sure we're on the same side but let people be angry. It's necessary.

I have no idea why you think unpleasantness is necessary. It isn't.

Mister Six was hardly tone-policing. Tone it down a notch or two.

Twed

Plenty of insults from the Mister Six/Paul side of the equation, and they're not any more "pleasant" because you agree with them more or because they're not very good. Please leave the shit unstirred.

I do appreciate the comedy value in "tone it down a notch or two" being placed right next to a denial that there is tone-policing going on.

https://medium.com/@chanda/what-s-the-harm-in-tone-policing-e933d90af247

This is a good article. I'm not lumping myself in with the victims this article describes (I am not part of an oppressed group) but everything it says about tone policing being something people do for their own selfish benefit and comfort is absolutely true. When you say somebody is too angry or too rude, you are being oppressive. You are being rude. Especially when you allow your own conduct to be beyond the line you've set for others.

Almost all actions are at the expense of others, and I'm happy for mine to be at the expense of cunts.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 16, 2019, 09:22:13 PM
Well no, not a stretch, since that's what I was implying. And I should know, since I am, in fact, me.

I believe you looked up the Sanders article after your initial post, and I will carry that belief with me to the grave

Twed

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1107089068561756160

Biden claims that he is the most progressive person who could run for president. Loopy shit.

Twed

https://twitter.com/AlexThomasDC/status/1107064840307249152

Cracking up about Biden's hopelessness and how panicky the Dems must be right now.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteJoe Biden says that he stopped his driver on the way to tonight's state Democratic dinner to give a homeless woman "whatever was in my pocket"

cum stained hanky, some blood pressure tablets and three week old beef jerky

Blumf

Quote from: Twed on March 17, 2019, 06:33:35 PM
https://twitter.com/AlexThomasDC/status/1107064840307249152

Cracking up about Biden's hopelessness and how panicky the Dems must be right now.

https://crankhandleblog.com/articles/was-the-first-concept-car-ever-the-brooke-swan-car/
QuoteThis car has a lot of surprising features, like the moving swan's beak that can shoot hot water and stream (heated through a connection with the cooling-system of the engine) to clear the road and make people, as well as elephants, run for their life, instead of simply using a horn

Twed

NBC's graphic of the Democratic front-runners:

Beggars belief. There's even an empty spot where they could have included Sanders.

Urinal Cake

Beto is firming up to be the Anti-Christ.

Paul Calf

Although he's absolutely right in that case, It's entirely in tune with the American pre-911 view of the IRA as misty-eyed freedom fighters.

After being suspiciously cagey about the amount of money raised in the first 24 hours of his campaign, it is now being reported that Beto raised $6.1 million. So it looks like that he might do better than I presumed he would. I genuinely thought that he was some kind of prefabricated thing that people wouldn't buy, but he seems to actually have a lot of support

Twed

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 18, 2019, 11:56:56 AM
After being suspiciously cagey about the amount of money raised in the first 24 hours of his campaign, it is now being reported that Beto raised $6.1 million.
But he refuses to release the numbers, i.e. where the contributions came from. Which is what I would do if I was hiding the fact that a bunch of corporate/oil bundlers boosted my candidacy.

Yeah there's still an odd lack of transparency. Other candidates have released their average donation size and other info like that. There's swirling suspicion that his candidacy has simply been boosted by oil and gas interests, and he could comprehensively refute that by simply releasing the same sort of information that other candidates have. But he doesn't seem to be willing for whatever reason

My gut feeling is that he wants to appear to be running a grassroots, populist style campaign, and the numbers wouldn't bear that out

marquis_de_sad

somebody needs to do a mock up of Beto as the Jared Leto joker

Twed

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 18, 2019, 02:32:07 PM
Yeah there's still an odd lack of transparency. Other candidates have released their average donation size and other info like that. There's swirling suspicion that his candidacy has simply been boosted by oil and gas interests, and he could comprehensively refute that by simply releasing the same sort of information that other candidates have. But he doesn't seem to be willing for whatever reason

My gut feeling is that he wants to appear to be running a grassroots, populist style campaign, and the numbers wouldn't bear that out
Fact is, if he made the money via means we'd approve of he'd already be capitalising on that.

It does give me a sinking feeling though. American politics can be bought and the media has upped its game with supporting him recently. He must look good to people who don't really follow things that closely, which is most people.

Twed

It would be the perfect answer to Trump, really. The Democrats parachuting in a physical embodiment of white privilege but with good manners. I mean "perfect" in the "very fitting for this awful Hellworld".

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 17, 2019, 12:22:36 AM
I believe you looked up the Sanders article after your initial post, and I will carry that belief with me to the grave

Go for it. At speed, ideally.

Mister Six

See, I was going to leave it alone, but you likened me to Paul Calf, so now I do have to give one last fjanl thought:

Quote from: Twed on March 16, 2019, 09:36:42 PM
People are not separated into good engagey boys and the alt left. There is nothing more useful to the center and all to the right of them than people acting in a way that appeals to old matrons.

I'd argue that the most damaging thing for the left is when people on the left start throwing out easily dismissable, petty shit like that O'Rourke Usenet post, or get all snotty and superior about their politics compared to the (hock, spit) liberals.

Sanders is the best candidate the Dems have for ordinary people, and a massive shift leftward away from capitalism, away from corporatism, away from fascism, is the best thing for all our futures  - you know that and I know that, and there are many others who are receptive to those messages if they are presented thoughtfully and empathetically. But those same people will be turned off if this perfectly righteous political struggle comes across as petty point-scoring or self-aggrandisement. By all means be angry, but be clever about it too. I have more success talking to people one-to-one about their concerns and misconceptions than I do throwing around cheap shots.

And in the interests of not derailing this thread further, I'll leave it there.

Twed

It is boring to know what style of contribution fits your personal tastes and so I did not read very much of that post. What you want to happen isn't going to happen, let it go.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 18, 2019, 10:25:38 PM
Go for it. At speed, ideally.

Well that's a little aggressive.

Is it possible you want me dead because I've Miss Marpled your deceitfully belated reading of the Sanders article, and you want me out of the picture if there's ever an official investigation?

marquis_de_sad

Mister Six going for some kind of Schrödinger's cat type situation by posting both the cheap shot and condemnation of cheap shots one after each other.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Twed on March 18, 2019, 10:44:30 PM
It is boring to know what style of contribution fits your personal tastes and so I did not read very much of that post. What you want to happen isn't going to happen, let it go.

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 19, 2019, 01:17:03 AM
Mister Six going for some kind of Schrödinger's cat type situation by posting both the cheap shot and condemnation of cheap shots one after each other.

Fuck me. And I thought the left was fucked in Europe.

Do you think people see the way you treat people that you essentially agree with and think "Yes! That's a movement I want to be a part of!"?

Twed

Paul is going to fix politics with relentless huffiness