Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:23:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

Urinal Cake

Buttigieg has joined the party. Better than O'Rourke. But more likely to be a flash in the pan.

Twed

He'll get the support of Will and Grace liberals who want pet gays.

Urinal Cake

As a PPE I though he would have policies like Warren but it seems he has just nice rhethoric so far.

Twed

There's a good article earlier in this thread that takes him down.

sponk

I can't imagine anyone beating Trump, unless there's an economic catastrophe - which i'm skeptical about because I'm sure he'd just blame it on immigrants and people buying it -  or a personal scandal, like an off-mic moment that reveals him doing something altruistic. What could really turn his base against him?

Twed

Many of his votes were for people rebelling against the hated Hillary Clinton.

sponk

Fucking hell

@realDonaldTrump
Love people who are great under pressure. What a fantastic life comeback for a really great guy!

@ChatByCC
Replying to @realDonaldTrump @TheMasters @TigerWoods
Congratulations to President Trump's friend Tiger Woods on winning The Masters!

That's a Tweet/Subtweet. "Trump's friend Tiger Woods".

Quote@sponk
Congratulations to that guy President Trump has a picture of in his office for becoming president in 1821.

@realDonaldTrump
I agree, sponk, very cool!

mugwump ji sum

Quote from: sponk on April 15, 2019, 12:03:34 AM
What could really turn his base against him?

The fact that he's betrayed them at every opportunity.
He lost the popular vote last time and only won the electoral college by a thin margin, so he doesn't have to lose much of his base to lose the election. With changing demographics also working against him I think it's very unlikely he will be re-elected.

Mister Six

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 14, 2019, 11:44:03 PM
As a PPE I though he would have policies like Warren but it seems he has just nice rhethoric so far.

Yep, he's a nothingburger: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on April 15, 2019, 12:15:20 AM
Many of his votes were for people rebelling against the hated Hillary Clinton.

Or people voting for a candidate who night actually change the system (or at least not represent it). Which is how you got people who voted for Obama voting for Trump.

Yet another reason to get Bernie and/or Warren in there, although whatever candidate gets through, I'mentally preparing for Trump to win.

Twed

Part of me wonders if the best thing long-term would be for the Democrats to pull another 2016, blatantly engineer things to favour their candidate and fucking enraggggggggggggggge us all so that their brand of politics gets the fucking off to end all fucking offs.

A preferable scenario is Sanders winning and the economic right of the party embarrassing themselves out of relevancy by fighting against left-wing measures. That might be fantasy though.

Warren's health care plan is "increase federal subsidies for people buying Affordable Care Act plans, allow more people to qualify for ACA tax credits and impose tighter controls on private insurers" which makes her a no-go for me.

Twed

"Tax credits" is campaign poison, she needs to fire her team and herself.

Blumf

Good news, maybe...

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/13/us/no-religion-largest-group-first-time-usa-trnd/index.html
QuoteFor the first time "No Religion" has topped a survey of Americans' religious identity, according to a new analysis by a political scientist. The non-religious edged out Catholics and evangelicals in the long-running General Social Survey.
Ryan Burge, a political scientist at Eastern Illinois University and a Baptist pastor, found that 23.1% of Americans now claim no religion.
Catholics came in at 23.0%, and evangelicals were at 22.5%.

The three groups remain within the margin of error of each other though, making it a statistical tie. Over 2,000 people were interviewed in person for the survey.

Just a few more centuries to go.

colacentral

Quote from: Mister Six on April 15, 2019, 01:47:12 PM
Or people voting for a candidate who night actually change the system (or at least not represent it). Which is how you got people who voted for Obama voting for Trump.

Yet another reason to get Bernie and/or Warren in there, although whatever candidate gets through, I'mentally preparing for Trump to win.

There'll be a record turnout to vote against him, particularly with young people. He hasn't got a chance, whoever he's against.

Mister Six

Quote from: colacentral on April 15, 2019, 06:33:09 PM
There'll be a record turnout to vote against him, particularly with young people. He hasn't got a chance, whoever he's against.

Yeah, no, that was the theory in 2016 too. Don't underestimate gerrymandering, apathy, stupidity, ignorance and plain ol' racism in America. Whoever wins the Democratic primary is going to have to go in swinging and not let up for a second.

My biggest hope is that enough middle-class and lower-middle class Americans will be sufficiently fucked off by their tax returns this year and next to tip against him. I worry they'll have forgotten by November 2020, mind.

Squink

Quote from: Mister Six on April 15, 2019, 08:10:54 PMMy biggest hope is that enough middle-class and lower-middle class Americans will be sufficiently fucked off by their tax returns this year and next to tip against him.

Ha, yep. Did you end up owing a lot Mister Six? I did.

Mister Six

Not as much as I'd expected given how hard some of my friends were hit. But the displeasure about that move seems to be fairly universal among a decent cross-section of people so it seems like a sturdy stick to hit Trump and the GOP with.

colacentral

Quote from: Mister Six on April 15, 2019, 08:10:54 PM
Yeah, no, that was the theory in 2016 too. Don't underestimate gerrymandering, apathy, stupidity, ignorance and plain ol' racism in America. Whoever wins the Democratic primary is going to have to go in swinging and not let up for a second.

Not really. There was an assumption that he would lose, but not that there would be a huge turnout. That assumption probably helped him. Next time everyone will make sure to vote for whoever is not-Trump, and you have teenagers who weren't eligible to vote last time who will be fired up for it next time. A similar thing happened in the UK in terms of 2015 GE and Brexit, obviously helped by Corbyn being a charismatic figure admittedly.

There are no guarantees, the 2018 elections showed that Trump's voter base is extremely solid and hard to beat. It's most likely going to go down to the wire

Mister Six

Yeah I don't see any signs that point to an overwhelming victory for the Dems at this point. Remember that a massive chunk of those young voters have been born into Republican families or communities, and still more will have become alt-right radicalised turds.

Also remember that whatever the popular vote might be, everything hinges on the Electoral College, and which swing states will lean red or blue.

Finally a high turnout can work in both directions. No reason to assume that people will be making the effort to vote against Trump.

Cloud

Yeah I saw the comments early in thread about 4 years of people turning 18.  That's 4 years of internet-savvy kids all of whom will be well indoctrinated by the Youtube algorithms by now and bleating about Jordan Peterson and SJWs.  Trump's not going anywhere yet.

Twed

Children also don't believe in American Dream bullshit and were born tired of corporations

Twed

These slimy bastards are loving this

Twed

Quote from: Twed on April 16, 2019, 12:58:08 AM
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1117924843746361345

If the election is fair, Bernie will win.

Good performance by Sanders I thought, though people on Twitter acting like this was a "Fox News audience" are obviously lying or deluding themselves. The studio audience was mostly Sanders supporters.

Fambo Number Mive

Trump's facing a challenger from within the Republican Party, Bill Weld.

Weld says

Quote"I really think if we have six more years of the same stuff we've had out of the White House the last two years that would be a political tragedy," he said on CNN.

"So I would be ashamed of myself if I didn't raise my hand and run."

He doesn't say how he would be different from Trump. He ran for the Libertarian Party in 2016.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47943555

Twed

Is anybody else enjoying Peter Daou, man who created fucking VERRIT, becoming a Bernie Bro?

kngen

The Russians must have hacked him.

EDIT: I'm joking, but some of the replies in his Twitter thread are not far off that kind of lunacy. Always a treat to see white folk tell POC that they dont actually support Bernie; they support Kamala - the kind of people that, at their horrendous Pantsuit Nation dinner parties, would seat a Somali man beside a woman from the Dominican Republic 'because you two will have so much to talk about!'

rjd2

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1117988855016194049

Think Progress are goons, the left wing version of Charlie Kirk.

Mayor Pete seems to be getting amazing coverage from the media, with the never Trump republican element fawning over him like Rubin, Kristol and Joe Scarborough, is this actually translating into actual poll success?

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 15, 2019, 09:03:51 PM
There are no guarantees, the 2018 elections showed that Trump's voter base is extremely solid and hard to beat. It's most likely going to go down to the wire

It will come down to a few states that Trump edged in 2016. I think what boils so much piss about Bernie is he is actually a sensible choice if you want to take those states back which would mean Trump is fucked. Obviously Biden would be the other alternative.