Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

Dex Sawash

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 27, 2019, 03:42:14 PM
member Too Short?

You can get cosmetic male surgery for that, I think.

QDRPHNC

Reading the names of some of these dems throwing their hats in the ring, I feel like the editor in Spinners and Losers, looking confused and saying, "I'm not being funny... I literally don't know who that is."

Twed

Twed

Prominent journalist floats idea that Bernie's campaign was a Russian operation: https://twitter.com/page88/status/1089203348924960768

The idiocy of people who feel that their comfort is even mildly threatened...

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on January 27, 2019, 05:11:35 PM
Prominent journalist floats idea that Bernie's campaign was a Russian operation: https://twitter.com/threader_app/status/1089203119303651328

The idiocy of people who feel that their comfort is even mildly threatened...

That's absurd. How gullible do you have to be?

Mind you, she is a creationist so common sense might not be her strong suit.

Twed

imitationleather

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 27, 2019, 05:25:58 PM
Mind you, she is a creationist so common sense might not be her strong suit.

Blimey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Heffernan#Creationism

QuoteIn July 2013, Heffernan published an article entitled "Why I'm a creationist".[25] In this, Heffernan stated that "I have never found a more compelling story of our origins than the ones that involve God", and that she was "considerably less amused and moved by the character-free Big Bang story ("something exploded") than by the twisted and picturesque misadventures of Eve and Adam". She concluded by quoting author Yann Martel's summary of the subtext of his novel, Life of Pi: "1) Life is a story, 2) You can choose your story, 3) A story with God is the better story".[25][26] In a subsequent discussion on Twitter with the popular science writer Carl Zimmer, Heffernan clarified her stance — "I'm a creationist on aesthetic grounds".[27]

Heffernan received much criticism for her column.[27][28][29][30][31][32][33] Critics responded to her postmodern stance,[32] several quoting Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts".[27][30] However, writing in The Guardian, Andrew Brown dismissed Heffernan's critique of evolution, but noted that: "she is certainly not a young-earth creationist ... but she wants stories where people find hope and courage in the events of the world around them, and she finds them in religion, not in science". Her column subsequently provided the subject for a debate in The New York Times.[34]

In a later interview on CBC Radio, Heffernan said of the column, "I meant to chronicle my own admittedly arbitrary intellectual evolution around the subject of the origins of the cosmos and the origins of human consciousness. It had slowly dawned on me that journalists were expected to share a consensus about the origins of those things. And I wasn't in that consensus and I wanted to speak up ... I only chronicled how that belief came into my own life".[35]

All sorts of stupid going on there.

Twed

Christ. Even living here I forget how extreme conservatism can fly under the radar so easily in the US. In the UK it usually manifests as just being really fucking selfish, but in the US it goes full whacko crazy and still claim to be left of centre.

greencalx

Quote from: Twed on January 27, 2019, 03:13:55 PM
Here's Kamala Harris ... They probably had to write songs because of her.

Is Harris a bad 'un then? Couldn't figure it out from her wikipedia page.

Twed

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/08/kamala-harris-trump-obama-california-attorney-general

Probably the most balanced take I could give you. I don't necessarily want to just share the rabid multi-post Twitter takedowns.

tldr; is regularly to the right of Republicans

greencalx

Quote from: Twed on January 27, 2019, 06:32:29 PM
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/08/kamala-harris-trump-obama-california-attorney-general

Probably the most balanced take I could give you. I don't necessarily want to just share the rabid multi-post Twitter takedowns.

tldr; is regularly to the right of Republicans

Thank you very much. I had picked up on the stuff in the first stanza, but not so much the rest of it. Very enlightening.

Are there any more promising candidates out there?

phantom_power

I wasn't really paying attention to it all in 2016. Can someone explain to me what all this Bernie Bros business is? Presumably it isn't to do with him wearing bottle caps on his shoes

Contrived talking point and manufactured panic by the libs, the mythical 'Bernie bro' was an online contingent of young men who simply didn't want to vote for Hillary because she's a strong woman, opting instead for Bernie because he's a man, and so spent their time harassing her fans on twitter. Absolute nonsense, just another way of caricaturing the left and weaponising identity politics

Twed

Quote from: phantom_power on January 27, 2019, 08:22:07 PM
I wasn't really paying attention to it all in 2016. Can someone explain to me what all this Bernie Bros business is? Presumably it isn't to do with him wearing bottle caps on his shoes
The cabal behind Hillary Clinton's 2016 run realised that identity politics could be weaponised for their PR, and to crush the left-wing threat to their careers. They decided that "wealthy, center-right woman" was the identity that they would cajole the general public into fighting for. One of the primary mechanisms of this involves selling us the idea that supporting Bernie Sanders is a sexist act, that somehow Biden and Beto are exempt from the same criticism, and that amazing women of color like AOC are to hidden and copied by insincere candidates from their own ranks.

hummingofevil

Here's Kamala Harris being asked her favorite songs for various situations, trying to make it look natural when she's choosing from a list carefully curated to make it look like she hasn't spent the last 20 years hurting black people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2482G1gog

The only exception is the reference to Morning Joe, to keep old, centre-right people on side.

Every single choice is a calculation. And then she dances, like that AOC they have now.

A Tribe Called Quest indeed. They probably had to write songs because of her.

Why is she laughing?

Remember when David Cameron said he liked The Smiths but Johnny Marr told him he is not allowed to like The Smiths and it turned out Marr was right but only because Morrissey was a right-wing UKIPy cunt who thought Cameron wasn't racist enough?

phantom_power

Quote from: Twed on January 27, 2019, 08:31:25 PM
The cabal behind Hillary Clinton's 2016 run realised that identity politics could be weaponised for their PR, and to crush the left-wing threat to their careers. They decided that "wealthy, center-right woman" was the identity that they would cajole the general public into fighting for. One of the primary mechanisms of this involves selling us the idea that supporting Bernie Sanders is a sexist act, that somehow Biden and Beto are exempt from the same criticism, and that amazing women of color like AOC are to hidden and copied by insincere candidates from their own ranks.

Thought it was something like that. You still get prominent white feminists on Twitter like Amber Tamblyn going on about Clinton and what America lost when she did. They seem completely clueless that America lost the moment she became the Democratic candidate

hummingofevil

Quote from: imitationleather on January 27, 2019, 06:02:42 PM
Blimey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Heffernan#Creationism

All sorts of stupid going on there.

Virginia was employed as a fact checker for the New York Times. Virginia believes the Internet is one big, unfinished work of art.

I think the thing with newspapers and journalists generally and centre ground ones specifically it's simply a case of people feeling the need to write as the primary objective (for attention, power, to pay the bills) and only if we are lucky are they actual bothered/interested in forming a coherent or even interesting opinion first of all.

Checks Guardian. WHHOOOAAHHH hold on a moment. Remember when Matthew D'Ancona grew a beard and joined The Guardian. Off topic? Soz.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/27/tory-values-conservative-party-repellent-brexit

Anyway.

Twed

Quote from: phantom_power on January 27, 2019, 08:43:28 PM
You still get prominent white feminists on Twitter like Amber Tamblyn going on about Clinton

Twed

Twed

They actually sat down and decided that the proles would think she's an empowering figure for black people if she makes a Black Panther meme, because that's the sort of thing they like, isn't it. And everybody agreed and it got produced.

FUCK.

honeychile

Lasted until about 25 seconds into that, couldn't stand any more.

Recovered for a bit, then tried watching it again. Got as far as the mention of vibranium, bailed again.

phantom_power

She can't even sing Sun Is Shining right. There is no "the" at the start and it sounds like she starts the second line with "the rain..." which isn't right either

Urinal Cake

Colbert is doing his best to get Trump another term.

Z

Here's Kamala Harris being asked her favorite songs for various situations, trying to make it look natural when she's choosing from a list carefully curated to make it look like she hasn't spent the last 20 years hurting black people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2482G1gog
Is that laugh a thing she does?

Was 2004 as embarrassing? All I can really remember is Kucinich getting tore apart

Twed

I don't know. They keep running people who cackle.

Mister Six

What was wrong with Beto, by the way? I didn't pay much attention to that campaign beyond rather hoping Ted Cruz would be toppled.

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on January 27, 2019, 10:07:54 PM
JESUS CHRIST DEMOCRATS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZe9cR1zqc

I don't... What is that? It's the Colbert show, so I assume some degree of satirical intent, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it's supposed to be. And why can't she read off a fucking autocue?