Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 thread

Started by Twed, January 26, 2019, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best sandwich filling

Trump (R)
Sandford (R)
Walsh (R)
Weld (R)
Bennet (D)
Biden (D)
Booker (D)
Bullock (D)
Buttigieg (D)
Castro (D)
Delaney (D)
Gabbard (D)
Klobuchar (D)
Messam (D)
O'Rourke (D)
Ryan (D)
Sanders (D)
Sestak (D)
Steyer (D)
Warren (D)
Williamson (D)
Yang (D)
A Libertarian
A Green
One of the other ones
Moat (R)
Who fucking cares I dunno some cunt
Guntrip
Les Dennis
Eddie Large
Ralf Little
A musician or actor who think they can make a difference and will ultimately fail
Bensip Hammons
Castro
Gulf Holdall
Ham
Plain
Cook(D)
Bomb(D)

Twed

Sanders Campaign: "Healthcare that is free at point of service for all, free college and hey let's wipe out everybody's student debt"
Beto Campaign: "What if, right, we paid for the healthcare of veterans by making a tax that is only paid by non-military families?"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/beto-orourke-war-tax-veteran-healthcare-2020-election-democrat-debate-a8972671.html

What a fucking tit. I wonder who pulls his strings. There's no way you would willingly think this is a good idea and then subjugate yourself to the backlash.

"Hey, here's who should be hit with war tax: the one demographic that doesn't profit from war"

kngen

Quote from: Twed on June 24, 2019, 06:48:36 PM
Sanders Campaign: "Healthcare that is free at point of service for all, free college and hey let's wipe out everybody's student debt"
Beto Campaign: "What if, right, we paid for the healthcare of veterans by making a tax that is only paid by non-military families?"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/beto-orourke-war-tax-veteran-healthcare-2020-election-democrat-debate-a8972671.html

What a fucking tit. I wonder who pulls his strings. There's no way you would willingly think this is a good idea and then subjugate yourself to the backlash.

"Hey, here's who should be hit with war tax: the one demographic that doesn't profit from war"

Ooft, that's surely the end of his campaign - that's just not going to fly with anyone.

All Americans profit from war. It's what protects our mafia-like domination of the world and hedonistic consumerism.

backdrifter

Soldiers profit from war? They might get paid more when deployed but they also risk death, lifelong injury and lifelong disfunction due to PTSD. Seems absolutely fair to me that the people who don't take those risks should at least pay for the medical bills of those that do.

I agree that this is a piss-weak healthcare plan compared to what else is being suggested (and I hope it does end his campaign) but it feels morally sound to me.

Also, if there was a broad nation wide tax the American people had to pay for each new war started (and Beto's plan definitely isn't that) I guarantee you there would be less war. Currently non-military families can pretty easily ignore the outside world and just get on with their lives - not so easy if wars affect their paychecks.

Twed

Quote from: backdrifter on June 24, 2019, 11:49:04 PMSeems absolutely fair to me that the people who don't take those risks should at least pay for the medical bills of those that do.
Here they are, kngen. The kind of person who thinks that we all have responsibility for war like it's a natural thing and not a massive choice that many of us protest and the rest are tricked into supporting.

Quote from: backdrifter on June 24, 2019, 11:49:04 PMCurrently non-military families can pretty easily ignore the outside world and just get on with their lives - not so easy if wars affect their paychecks.
And while we're at it let's make the atheists pay for all the churches.

backdrifter

Quote from: Twed on June 24, 2019, 11:57:31 PM
And while we're at it let's make the atheists pay for all the churches.

Right, if soldiers and their families' were the ones that make the call to start a war and were the sole beneficiaries of any "profits" this would be a good analogy.

Twed

Hey, here's something: every soldier is more complicit in warfare than me.

It is true that many working class people are forced into that line of work, and I think that's tragic. It doesn't really justify your warped morality, though. How about less military spending and proper healthcare for everybody, hmm?

backdrifter

BTW I'm very anti-war. I just think the state has a responsibility to care for its soldiers - it's shit enough being traumatized/wounded without also being bankrupted by medical costs. And I think the wider population should feel the costs of major military campaigns - they certainly used to but now your average US citizen probably can't even name half the countries they are involved militarily in.

bgmnts

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 12:48:02 AM

It is true that many working class people are forced into that line of work, and I think that's tragic. It doesn't really justify your warped morality, though. How about less military spending and proper healthcare for everybody, hmm?

Free blowjobs and ice cream for everyone as well.

Twed

Quote from: backdrifter on June 25, 2019, 12:48:59 AM
BTW I'm very anti-war. I just think the state has a responsibility to care for its soldiers
Agreed. I have a friend who is dying of brain cancer who mainly has to spend his time fighting insurance companies, and another who I occasionally have to drive places because he can't due to PTSD and the VA doesn't have the funds to help him.

Quote from: backdrifter on June 25, 2019, 12:48:59 AMit's shit enough being traumatized/wounded without also being bankrupted by medical costs. And I think the wider population should feel the costs of major military campaigns - they certainly used to but now your average US citizen probably can't even name half the countries they are involved militarily in.
How do you possibly come to the conclusion that it is the general public that is to mainly blame for the illegal wars. The point is that the very rich people who come up with the illegal wars and the media that profits from convincing the general public to think they are necessary are going to be completely unaffected by this tax.

Mister Six

bgmnts

Political apathy is a pretty cardinal sin.

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on June 25, 2019, 12:50:10 AM
Free blowjobs and ice cream for everyone as well.
Oh, we're supposed to be fucking idiots now. I missed that, sorry. I'll join in.

Tax breaks for the wealthy trickle down to the working classes through job creation

Mobius

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1143159975277187072

Why does the bottom of that donation page say "Paid for by WinRed. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. WinRed.com" whereas the rest of the page says CERTIFIED WEBSITE OF DONLAD TRUMP

Twed

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 12:53:55 AM
How do you possibly come to the conclusion that it is the general public that is to mainly blame for the illegal wars. The point is that the very rich people who come up with the illegal wars and the media that profits from convincing the general public to think they are necessary are going to be completely unaffected by this tax.
Also how can you be so blissfully ignorant that you don't realise that this entire thing is to put pressure on non-military, poor families to become military families? Fuck

I'm not even angry at you, I'm angry at how you've been tricked into supporting such dumb ideas.

backdrifter

Oh so morally wrong (or dubious) to be a soldier full stop? What if your country has only ever fought defensive wars? Are the Kurds who pushed ISIS out of their lands more complicit in warfare than you?

Massive projection going on their. Of course the USA overspends on the military and under-funds virtually everything else.

It's a democracy - admittedly highly flawed and getting worse - but they certainly still have influence. And I don't think they are mainly to blame either - I just think a broad war tax would increase the population's awareness of what it's military is doing and indirectly reduce the number of campaigns started.

backdrifter

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 01:02:57 AM
Also how can you be so blissfully ignorant that you don't realise that this entire thing is to put pressure on non-military, poor families to become military families?

Coz that's fucking stupid. "Hey kids, you're all now joining the military so we can avoid one relatively small tax."

Twed

Did you know that most US taxes already go to war and adding a "relatively small" tax pushes people further into that desperate line by not only directly taking money via taxation but also by funneling yet more funds away from programs that would give people social mobility?

How many rich people send their children to war?

Twed

QuoteHe said he would also implement policies restoring military service as a pathway to citizenship and would allow veterans who have been deported to return to the United States with the benefits of citizenship.
Justify this. Tell me how this isn't targeting desperate people

backdrifter

At the very least "most" means more than 50% so no I don't believe that "most tax is spent on war".

Correctly me if I'm wrong but the US already cares for its vets via taxation. This policies is merely shifting the small proportion of that tax paid by the 1% who are military families to the rest - the increase on the 99% will be tiny. It basically symbolic.

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 01:16:43 AM
Justify this. Tell me how this isn't targeting desperate people

I agree with one thing he says so I automatically agree with everything he says?

Twed

Quote from: backdrifter on June 25, 2019, 01:29:55 AM
Correctly me if I'm wrong but the US already cares for its vets via taxation.
It's constantly under assault because it's a genuine public program, but if this is your belief then why do you support a further tax that only affects people who are not part of the war machine?

Quote from: backdrifter on June 25, 2019, 01:29:55 AM
I agree with one thing he says so I automatically agree with everything he says?
It is the same policy that you have just been defending backdrifter

Twed

I have decided to hire some people to slap the shit out of a nun and her orphanage, and it is up to you to pay to fix the ensuing carnage, backdrift. It is simply your responsibility, as you did not help me hurt these people.

backdrifter

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 01:34:53 AM
It's constantly under assault because it's a genuine public program, but if this is your belief then why do you support a further tax that only affects people who are not part of the war machine?

SOLDIERS DON'T START WARS. And they certainly aren't raking in the profits from them. You know those media war hawks and military contractors you (pretty much correctly) blame for wars? They are not "military families.

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 01:34:53 AM
It is the same policy that you have just been defending backdrifter

I said I agreed with a single specific moral point - not that I agree with the whole policy which I haven't read and don't intend to.

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 01:35:53 AM
I have decided to hire some people to slap the shit out of a nun and her orphanage, and it is up to you to pay to fix the ensuing carnage, backdrift. It is simply your responsibility, as you did not help me hurt these people.

Again the with stupid analogies....

The citizens of a democracy are not divorced from the actions of their government (duh).

Twed

Quote from: backdrifter on June 25, 2019, 01:57:09 AM
The citizens of a democracy are not divorced from the actions of their government (duh).
What planet are you on

Twed

Everybody should be taxed for the concentration camps currently running in the US except for anybody who works at one.

Do we need to keep refining this until you stop finding get-outs to avoid the absolute evil stupidity of it all?

Why do you feel the need to pretend that taxing people who are mainly against war would help end war better than withholding money from defense contractors?

backdrifter

We've been over this but again: soldiers that go to war have a very high risk or serious physical or metal wounds or death.

You (seem to) agree they deserve publicly funded healthcare, you just feel very strongly that the military-families should contribute the exact same amount to the fund as everyone else. I'm suggesting that they have already (on average) sacrificed far more than the non-military families who are equally responsible for the war. Even if you think that level of responsibility is zero and its 100% the fault of those special interests its still equal between military and non-military families.

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 02:09:16 AM
Why do you feel the need to pretend that taxing people who are mainly against war would help end war better than withholding money from defense contractors?

Putting words in my mouth there.

Twed

Deciding that the split is between military and non-military families is dishonest. Pretending that this is the logical way to slice the cake versus "the war industry and everybody else" is suspect, especially coupled with the absolutely bullshit idea that making non-military families pay tax would increase awareness of war and stop it happening, as if that's where the power lies.

Twed

Quote from: backdrifter on June 24, 2019, 11:49:04 PM
Also, if there was a broad nation wide tax the American people had to pay for each new war started (and Beto's plan definitely isn't that) I guarantee you there would be less war. Currently non-military families can pretty easily ignore the outside world and just get on with their lives - not so easy if wars affect their paychecks.

backdrifter

Quote from: Twed on June 25, 2019, 02:29:06 AM
Deciding that the split is between military and non-military families is dishonest. Pretending that this is the logical way to slice the cake versus "the war industry and everybody else" is suspect, especially coupled with the absolutely bullshit idea that making non-military families pay tax would increase awareness of war and stop it happening, as if that's where the power lies.

Yes I think the people still have some power. And they definitely care about their finances. But I can see that if your starting point is that US citizens have no control whatsoever on their gov we would come to widely different conclusions on a all sorts of topics.

If you think those quotes contradict each other I despair. Ignorance about what your gov does overseas is not the same thing as having no way to influence it.

Twed

There is some power, but very little. To decide that taxing those who are not involved in war instead of those who push immoral wars as an industry is bizarre.