Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:23:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Biggest Gulf Between Vocal Talents of Duet Partners

Started by Satchmo Distel, January 27, 2019, 01:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
This came up in the TOTP thread and deserves its own discussion.

Put forward on that thread (not with universal approval):
Aretha Franklin and George Michael
Kirsty MacColl and Shane MacGowan

My choices:
Frank Sinatra and Bono
Frank Sinatra and Nancy Sinatra
Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews
John Lennon and Yoko Ono (assuming some of their songs were duets)

DrGreggles

Camp Tramp

Dane Bowers and Victoria Adams

True Bowers is a mediocre singer, Posh Spice though is so so much worse.

Crabwalk

Pavarotti and Bryan Adams.

That or the lead singer of Smokie and Roy Chubby Brown.

the science eel

DrGreggles

the science eel

Crabwalk

buzby

Quote from: the science eel on January 27, 2019, 09:43:45 AM
Gene Pitney and Marc Almond
Naj. Marc more than acquits himself in that duet. They match up well belting out the middle 8 together.

Regarding the thread subject, I'm reminded of the Mary Whitehouse Experience Shakespears Sister sketch.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry of Dead Can Dance. No great shame for Brendan there, he has a fine voice and it would be highly unusual to have two singers of the same capability as Lisa Gerrard in the same band.

Gulftastic

Sin Agog

Quote from: buzby on January 27, 2019, 11:47:20 AM
Naj. Marc more than acquits himself in that duet.

I bet he does that right dirty old bollocks. I bet he fucking does.

the science eel

Marc Almond sings flat all the time. Like Neil Tennant.

OH YES they try to dress it up in the studio - but WE KNOW...

purlieu

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on January 27, 2019, 12:17:16 PM
Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry of Dead Can Dance. No great shame for Brendan there, he has a fine voice and it would be highly unusual to have two singers of the same capability as Lisa Gerrard in the same band.
It's a weird one, because he actually has a bloody great voice. There aren't many bands he could be in where he would sound underwhelming, but he had to pick one.

The Divine Comedy's 'Island Life' has Neil Hannon's wonderful, rich croon up against some fey, whispery indie-pop singer who is just about the antithesis of what makes Hannon so great. I find it almost unlistenable.

Gulftastic

Speaking of Islands, Kenny Rogers is a good singer, but Dolly Parton is a much better one.

Sebastian Cobb

Hope Sandoval is a much better singer than Jim Reid.

DrGreggles

Quote from: the science eel on January 27, 2019, 12:52:44 PM
Marc Almond sings flat all the time. Like Neil Tennant.

Who sang with Dusty!

Great song, but a huge gulf in singing ability.

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 27, 2019, 01:27:06 PM
Hope Sandoval is a much better singer than Jim Reid.

Yeah, but Sometimes Always works because they both sound sullen and resigned in different ways.

The Marc Almond/Gene Pitney duet is an absolute belter, I love their version. Pitney's being such an outrageous ham on that and it turns out it compliments the "new guy" perfectly. The "..and then YOU! YOU! YOU! You came my waaaaaaaaay" bit is banging. And it was good of Gene Pitney to take time out from hosting 'Catchphrase' to help give his friend a leg up in the music business.

EDIT: No, the high point is the "You touch me and my mind goes astraaaaaaay, yeah...and baaaaaaaaaa-by, yeah" bit, isn't it? Hang your head in shame if you think this is a dodgy duet.

the science eel

non capisco

I bet it is, Eel, you dirty old bollocks. I bet it fucking is.

greenman

Quote from: purlieu on January 27, 2019, 12:55:47 PM
It's a weird one, because he actually has a bloody great voice. There aren't many bands he could be in where he would sound underwhelming, but he had to pick one.

Unlike a lot of the examples given as well it never felt like there was any kind of competition or mismatch between them, she had her role and he had had his and both filled them very well.

hummingofevil

Not entirely in spirit as Watson is music school tenor and Ryder's voice is absolutely perfect for what it needs to be but this always makes me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAUV5MfenU

buzby

Quote from: non capisco on January 27, 2019, 11:18:50 PM
The Marc Almond/Gene Pitney duet is an absolute belter, I love their version. Pitney's being such an outrageous ham on that and it turns out it compliments the "new guy" perfectly.
EDIT: No, the high point is the "You touch me and my mind goes astraaaaaaay, yeah...and baaaaaaaaaa-by, yeah" bit, isn't it?
This is correct. The way their voices link up in the crescendo in the middle 8 is fantastic.
And it was good of Gene Pitney to take time out from hosting 'Catchphrase' 'The Running Man' to help give his friend a leg up in the music business.
FTFY

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 28, 2019, 07:53:21 AM
Lock the thread
Quote from: buzby on January 27, 2019, 11:47:20 AM
Regarding the thread subject, I'm reminded of the Mary Whitehouse Experience Shakespears Sister sketch.

Norton Canes

There's no serious competition, is there :)

Phil_A

Bit of a hacky observation though, isn't it. The disparity in their voices works in the song because they're playing two distinct characters in the narrative.

The shift in tone when Siobhan comes in is such a great unexpected pop twist. It's like Courtney Love barging into the middle of a Celine Dion power ballad, the song wouldn't have been half as memorable otherwise.