Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Biggest Gulf Between Vocal Talents of Duet Partners

Started by Satchmo Distel, January 27, 2019, 01:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

purlieu

Quote from: greenman on January 28, 2019, 07:22:10 AM
Unlike a lot of the examples given as well it never felt like there was any kind of competition or mismatch between them, she had her role and he had had his and both filled them very well.
Oh I agree, they work well together. I just think most of the attention probably goes to Lisa, whose voice is has an unearthly beauty not reached by Brendan.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Phil_A on January 28, 2019, 11:14:16 AM
Bit of a hacky observation though, isn't it. The disparity in their voices works in the song because they're playing two distinct characters in the narrative.

The shift in tone when Siobhan comes in is such a great unexpected pop twist. It's like Courtney Love barging into the middle of a Celine Dion power ballad, the song wouldn't have been half as memorable otherwise.

Siobhan sounds very sexy on You're History though.

Crabwalk

Their voices work really well together on tracks like 'I Don't Care'. Clearly Marcella's the technically superior singer, but I prefer Siobhan's more sultry tones. They're hardly comically mismatched and they use the disparity well.

gilbertharding

studpuppet

wosl

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on January 27, 2019, 12:17:16 PMLisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry of Dead Can Dance. No great shame for Brendan there, he has a fine voice and it would be highly unusual to have two singers of the same capability as Lisa Gerrard in the same band.

Stylistic differences aside, I've always felt Perry is very much Gerrard's equal as vocalist - the two serving as perfect foils for each other over the course of an album, since too much of either one would be, well, too much.  Over the years, as it happens, I've grown to like Perry's vocals more, and Gerrard's less; the only problem I have with him is in relation to his lyrics, which slide into pompous territory a little too regularly.

the science eel

Quote from: studpuppet on January 28, 2019, 02:26:41 PM
Can you have a gulf between two types of equally shit singing?

Anita Harris & Mungo Jerry - Fairytale Of New York

Oh

my

fucking

good

Christ

al

fucking

mighty

what

the

FUCK

is

that

?

studpuppet

It's a doozy, isn't it? I'm quite proud of that one. It's too bad even for the CaB Advent Calendar.

Nowhere Man

Stan and Ollie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B13QoA59tA4

Only half joking, but Hardy had a lovely singing voice all the same.

Trivia: This song got to No. 2 on the UK charts in 1975, does anyone remember what the No. 1 song was?

sardines

Quote from: purlieu on January 27, 2019, 12:55:47 PM
The Divine Comedy's 'Island Life' has Neil Hannon's wonderful, rich croon up against some fey, whispery indie-pop singer who is ...

I think, his wife

Um, duets between a rough gravelly voice and a contrasting sweet melodic voice are great.

Keebleman

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 28, 2019, 05:37:18 PM
Stan and Ollie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B13QoA59tA4

Only half joking, but Hardy had a lovely singing voice all the same.

Trivia: This song got to No. 2 on the UK charts in 1975, does anyone remember what the No. 1 song was?

Yep, Bohemian Rhapsody.  At the time I was 7; I would listen to the charts and watch Top of the Pops just for Stan and Ollie, and was unnerved whenever I caught a glimpse of Fred and the lads warbling away.  "Thunderbolts and lightning/Very very frightening."  Yes, I thought, it is frightening.  At least they admit it.

Gulftastic

Bo Rap and Lonesome Pine are my two earliest TOTP memories.

studpuppet

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 28, 2019, 06:53:32 PM
Um, duets between a rough gravelly voice and a contrasting sweet melodic voice are great.

Peters & Lee, basically.

rue the polywhirl

Just been watching a Pavarotti doc on Sky Arts and I'll just mention... Pavarotti and Annie Lennox.

machotrouts

Troye Sivan, who has all the vocal range and style of the cake recipe core from Portal, was somehow allowed to duet with Ariana Grande. Not that I'm a big fan of Grande, but it's very considerate and professional of her to dial the hooting and cooing down to about 0.01% to match his sad constipated fart of a performance.

purlieu

Quote from: sardines on January 28, 2019, 05:54:37 PM
I think, his wife
Crikey, I didn't realise that. She sounds a lot better on 'Funny Peculiar' (although that song is let down by being a twee jazz song sung by a married couple about how much they love each other).

Crabwalk

How the hell did it take so long for one of us to suggest Lawrence and Liz Fraser?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 29, 2019, 06:31:34 AM
How the hell did it take so long for one of us to suggest Lawrence and Liz Fraser?
Because 'Primitive Painters' isn't really a duet?

Crabwalk

Brundle-Fly

What about Squeeze? Tilbrook clearly has the better voice but I do really enjoy Difford's nasal almost flat Sarf London warble. And they compliment each other in such away that you always know it's Squeeze and that they are utterly unique. Ignore this post.

Panbaams

Bernard Sumner and Neil Tennant
Bernard Sumner and Billy Corgan
Bernard Sumner and Ana Matronic
Bernard Sumner and Brandon Flowers
Bernard Sumner and Ellie out of La Roux

lebowskibukowski

There must be umpteen (yes, umpteen) examples of this from the X-Factor when it gets near the finals, like Wagner dueting with Christina Aguilera or The Cheeky Girls singing with Andrea Bocelli?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 29, 2019, 12:10:57 PM
Bernard Sumner and Neil Tennant
Bernard Sumner and Billy Corgan
Bernard Sumner and Ana Matronic
Bernard Sumner and Brandon Flowers
Bernard Sumner and Ellie out of La Roux

I know! Neil Tennant, Billy Corgan, Ana Matronic, Brandon Flowers and Ellie out of La Roux are rubbish!

Etc etc

buzby

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on January 29, 2019, 01:19:54 PM
I know! Neil Tennant, Billy Corgan, Ana Matronic, Brandon Flowers and Ellie out of La Roux are rubbish!

Etc etc
Not sure if you are joking, but out of almost all of them Bernard isn't the worst half of the duet - not necessarily becuase they are wore singers than him, but their performance doesn't fit the song. The Billy Corgan and Ana Matronic ones in particular are terrible (not helped by the songs being sub-par too). Same goes for Bobby Gillespie on the execrable Rock The Shack.