Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Florence Welch

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, January 27, 2019, 02:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just had to endure the entirety of her cover of You've Got the Love and by fuck was I sick of her foghorn pipes by the end of it. All the subtlety of a sledge hammer to the face.

Anybody else care to join me in my hatred of her bellowing?

Sebastian Cobb

Mate dragged me to see her at bestival, along with another lad and his idiot girlfriend who said things like 'it's like she takes my emotions and sings them back to me'.

I basically just stood there smoking fags, drinking and doing dabs to make it bareable. Some woman asked if her mate could sit on my shoulders so she could see. I said ok but nearly dropped her. I think she was crying at one point.

Pauline Walnuts

I don't know what she's like these days, but at the HEIGHT of her SQUAAAAAARRRKKINGGG at end of every line She was always sounded rather FLLLAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT.

Apparently that didn't seem to matter to anyone else.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 27, 2019, 02:47:03 PM
Mate dragged me to see her at bestival, along with another lad and his idiot girlfriend who said things like 'it's like she takes my emotions and sings them back to me'.

I basically just stood there smoking fags, drinking and doing dabs to make it bareable. Some woman asked if her mate could sit on my shoulders so she could see. I said ok but nearly dropped her. I think she was crying at one point.
She takes my emotions and sings them back to me, too. Those emotions being disgust, misery, horror and hatred.

PlanktonSideburns

Lungs is a banging racket, good wails

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on January 27, 2019, 02:41:05 PM
I just had to endure the entirety of her cover of You've Got the Love and by fuck was I sick of her foghorn pipes by the end of it. All the subtlety of a sledge hammer to the face.

Anybody else care to join me in my hatred of her bellowing?

Yep. She can't sing for fucking toffee and that song is a cacophonous wall of dog shit.

On a scale of Kate Nash to Kate Bush she's very much closer to the former, though her dickhead fans would likely vehemently claim otherwise.

imitationleather

I saw her live as she was stuck very awkwardly and was most unwelcome between Deerhoof and Blur on a line-up.

Twed

Music for people who like big fucking boring honking geese.

Sebastian Cobb

To be fair the only listenable version of You got the Love is Eren's bootleg.

jobotic

Music for mobile phone adverts and Bestival.

Yeah I copy and pasted that from the beginners guide to music snobbery but it's true.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 27, 2019, 07:36:45 PM
To be fair the only listenable version of You got the Love is Eren's bootleg.

So true, every subsequent remix/cover kills it a little bit more.

BlodwynPig

It was shit the first time around. Not even layers of nostalgia poured on top of it makes it any good. Bland rubbish.

Bazooka

We have a few replies in, without mentioning the mash up of her hit song (can't remember the title right now, it's  sonic diarrhea anyway) she did with Dizzie Rascal at some award ceremony.

Her music can be put on in the background and forgotten about, yet at the same time serve the purpose of being put on in the background and forgotten about. But I must be wrong, this NME writer thinks differently: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/nme/list/florence-the-machine-25-of-her-best-lyrics-1281%3fsource=dam

BlodwynPig

QuoteScreaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart/ Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

Sounds a bit of a fruit loop.

BlodwynPig

Embedded in that froth is a video "NME in conversation with...Ricky Gervais"

The Beige Men have won inveigled themselves into the so-called underground scene. Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

Janie Jones

My son was at art school in London at the same time as her record company paid for her to enroll there, in order to attempt to lend some authenticity to the talentless bellower. They also shaved a couple of years off her age.

Avril Lavigne

More like Florence WELP...

jobotic

Quote from: Janie Jones on January 27, 2019, 11:04:26 PM
My son was at art school in London at the same time as her record company paid for her to enroll there, in order to attempt to lend some authenticity to the talentless bellower. They also shaved a couple of years off her age.

Excellent. "Hello, London..Art School? How much to enrol a talentless bellower? A mature student? Yea...er, no".

Rich Uncle Skeleton

There's one song I quite like on her second album as it doesn't have her usual honking on it, so that's something.

But fuck me, that first album...my girlfriend at the time wouldn't stop bloody playing it. Add that to the singles seemingly appearing in every BBC Three trailer going and it was a depressing year. I know that album note for note, and despise my ex for it.

Phil_A

It's depressing how many people associate what she does with her voice as "good singing", it sets such a low bar.

momatt

She is rubbish.  There seems to be a trend of thinking volume = talent in modern pop music.
Just totally awful, can't bear it.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 27, 2019, 11:12:28 PM
More like Florence WELP...
Florence SHIT.

Quote from: kalowski on January 27, 2019, 03:02:51 PM
She takes my emotions and sings them back to me, too. Those emotions being disgust, misery, horror and hatred.

Me too.  :D

The notorious early 'sexy popstar Hitler' press release

https://benward.uk/blog/tumblr-71683232

PlanktonSideburns

The innocent smoothie blurb guys are never going to top their early work are they?

BlodwynPig

alan nagsworth

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 28, 2019, 05:57:30 PM
Florence and the Manchine?

Florence and the Übermenschine, surely.

Bazooka

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 28, 2019, 03:12:21 AM
There's one song I quite like on her second album as it doesn't have her usual honking on it, so that's something.

But fuck me, that first album...my girlfriend at the time wouldn't stop bloody playing it. Add that to the singles seemingly appearing in every BBC Three trailer going and it was a depressing year. I know that album note for note, and despise my ex for it.

My ex inflicted the same pain on me, maybe we can start a support group.

purlieu

I really like Emotions Overload In Your Face in pop music and even I can't fucking stand her.

Captain Z

My favourite thing involving Florence and the Machine was Morgana Robinson doing her impression of Fearne Cotton saying 'Florence and the Machiiine'. Those 2 seconds perfectly encapsulated all you need to know about Morgana's Show, Fearne Cotton and Florence and the Machine.

jonnycuba

Also known as Camberwell's shame.