Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:51:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Florence Welch

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, January 27, 2019, 02:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 27, 2019, 09:40:08 PM
It was shit the first time around. Not even layers of nostalgia poured on top of it makes it any good. Bland rubbish.

I thought the original was okay but Florence's horrible bellowing version was inescapable for a while. Didn't Q magazine say it was the best single of that year? It wasn't even the best shit cover version of that year.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 27, 2019, 09:40:08 PM
It was shit the first time around. Not even layers of nostalgia poured on top of it makes it any good. Bland rubbish.

Do/did you like Frankie Knuckles - Your Love?

Jockice

Quote from: Bazooka on January 27, 2019, 10:38:34 PM

Her music can be put on in the background and forgotten about, yet at the same time serve the purpose of being put on in the background and forgotten about.

This is actually true. The only time I've ever heard one of her albums in full is when I (along with several others) went round to a couple we are friends with's place for a meal a few years ago. Now this pair are old friends of mine who I've known for probably around a quarter of a century - but I haven't the slightest idea about their musical tastes and the only reason I even noticed the music playing let alone found out who it was is because another of the guests mentioned it. They didn't even put anything else on, so it was just the same CD over and over again. It wouldn't have surprised me if if was the only CD they owned.

My only other encounter with her/them is when a friend of my age had a much younger girlfriend (not THAT young, so don't call the police. But he was in his 40s while she was still in her 20s) and she seemed to look on me as some sort of music guru because I'd sometimes give them a lift back from the pub and have some indie/punky stuff playing in my car. I did record a few albums for her and one day she offered to repay the compliment by doing me a copy of Florence's debut album. I said yes just to be polite but they split up (Tim and Vic, not the band) not long after so I never received it. Can't say I'm too disappointed.

I don't mind that Ship To Cross one that much, but I genuinely can't remember any of their other songs. And that's despite listening to radio stations who play them quite regularly. I much prefer Lawrence And The Machine.

Custard

I like Ship To Wreck too, but it was better when it was Remember Me by British Sea Power

Jockice

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 30, 2019, 08:43:26 AM
I like Ship To Wreck too, but it was better when it was Remember Me by British Sea Power

I knew it was Ship To something.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 30, 2019, 04:59:36 AM
Do/did you like Frankie Knuckles - Your Love?

I just hate the appreggio, wherever it may turn up.

momatt

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 30, 2019, 02:51:22 PM
I just hate the appreggio, wherever it may turn up.

You're an arpeggio, mate.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: momatt on January 30, 2019, 03:02:52 PM
You're an arpeggio, mate.

my apprologies

ps. on a side note, I've found it increasingly difficult to spell as I've got older, I reckon demnetai