Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:55:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League 2019

Started by dr beat, January 27, 2019, 05:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

Sad. London refused to play the role everyone expected by not being utter shite. Unfortunately, no other club filled that role either. Best team I've seen relegated. Hope they're back soon.

Great performance from Leeds to give 20 year club legend Jamie Jones Buchanan a great send off. He took one of the conversions, then in a lengthy post match goodbye on the pitch, other club legend Kylie Leuluia lead the kiwi and South Sea Island players in a haka in his honour. I got a bit emotional.

Also glad that Super League legend Danny Maguire didn't finish his career on a relegation.

Ronalado

mikeyg27

We all supporting Canberra because of the Pommy contingent? It helps that they were playing Melbourne. I'm genuinely wondering if Canberra have worked out some market inefficiency over signing English players, the way they've been hoovering them all up.

It was actually a pretty shitty 1st week of the NRL finals. Only Melbourne-Canberra had any drama. All three other games were pretty much over after 30 minutes.

Ronalado

RONALADO see pamaranatta eel score. 58 gol! please is CHRIS SANDOW score first?

Mr Eggs

Neither of that shower of shite deserve to go the grand final.

Mr Eggs

Dec Patton rocking the fat Freddie Mercury look at least gave a chuckle. The preening cunt.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Mr Eggs on September 19, 2019, 09:55:35 PM
Neither of that shower of shite deserve to go the grand final.

May as well just fast-forward to Saints-Wigan now. And then fast-forward another 100 or so minutes to Wigan lifting the trophy and Saints wondering how they could let it slip again.

YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE, SALFORD!

Mr Eggs

Quote from: mikeyg27 on September 19, 2019, 11:32:17 PM
YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE, SALFORD!

"That is the most depressing thing I've ever seen written in the English language".

Said in the voice of Gary Neville

mikeyg27

Y'know what, though? They've flown under the radar but Salford are probably the most impressive story this season, finally breaking through after year upon year upon year of just falling short of the playoffs, and somehow even ending up in the top 3. Ian Watson is Coach of the Year for me.

Having said that, I have absolutely zero faith in the infrastructure for a playoff run and would not be remotely surprised if they lose to Wigan tonight AND Cas next week.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: mikeyg27 on September 20, 2019, 09:31:10 AM
Y'know what, though? They've flown under the radar but Salford are probably the most impressive story this season, finally breaking through after year upon year upon year of just falling short of the playoffs, and somehow even ending up in the top 3. Ian Watson is Coach of the Year for me.

Having said that, I have absolutely zero faith in the infrastructure for a playoff run and would not be remotely surprised if they lose to Wigan tonight AND Cas next week.

I agree. Watson has done a great job this year. The only other candidate for Coach of the Year would have been Danny Ward if London had stayed up. I can't help but feel though that they've only ended up as high as 3rd due to other teams not performing / dropping off, and in the last few years teams always seem to struggle in their 1st play off run. I remember Hudds getting knocked out at the 1st opportunity after finishing top, and Cas doing the same the year we finished 4th, and only really getting the hang of it in 2016.
From a Cas perspective, I would also be expecting to beat them if hey do lose tonight, but then, I assumed we lose to Wire so what do I know, eh? (I would also then expect us to lose the following game btw, as we've not really been very good this year)

mikeyg27

Fucking great game, that - maybe my favourite SL game of the year. Salford are the real deal even if they seem to be entirely composed of players I associate with other clubs (Kris Welham not playing for Hull KR feels wrong to me). My worry for them would be that they emptied the tank, and they need a little more out wide. Wigan seem to be locked into that defensive pattern where they manage to combine a robust contact area with a defensive drift that just forces any play out wide into meaningless overs lines.

mikeyg27

Quote from: mikeyg27 on September 20, 2019, 09:31:10 AM

Glad to only be one out of two there. Niall Evalds with the fucking tackle of the season. Salford seem to have got 'playoff rugby' down pretty well for a team who haven't made the playoffs in a long time.

Mr Eggs

An absolute twatting like that is just what the 'orrible Pies need to rile 'em up against Salford.

Gulftastic

What it does mean is that going into the final Saints have not had a proper match for about a month. Has worked against them in the past.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Mr Eggs on September 27, 2019, 09:31:42 PM
An absolute twatting like that is just what the 'orrible Pies need to rile 'em up against Salford.

Inflating the irrational confidence in Saints so they fall apart in the Grand Final. Canny.

Mr Eggs

Gulftastic

Featherstone Rovers have been fantastic. Hope they can do Toronto next week.

Gulftastic

Well, isn't this  fun?

Salford have been fabulous and Wigan have been abject. And shithouses.

mikeyg27

Well, I know who I'm supporting next week.

Mr Eggs

Fucking hell. Imagine that at the start of the season.

Deanjam

Well done to Salford. Nothing else to say, really.

mikeyg27

So who's looking forward to a trip to Toronto next year?

Not me, my team are in the Championship.

Gulftastic

Bloody Alpha Flight bastards.

mikeyg27

Enthralling NRL Grand Final, but I'm pretty sure I know what the talking point afterwards is going to be.

dr beat

Sheens to Widnes. Speculation of a certain Doctor being involved. Not Who.

dr beat

Guess Who? No not that one.

dr beat

Maybe RonAldo sign for WidNES? Play as WANGER?

Good bacalau here. Honestly not Pollock.

Gulftastic

Cas run away with the league, then get outclassed by Leeds in the final.....something very familiar about this....

Gulftastic

Very sad to hear of the passing of Hugh Waddell.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2019/11/01/hugh-waddell-rip/

Met him a couple of times. He was a nice bloke.

Gulftastic

Dickhead that I am, I forgot to record the NZ/GB game. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Luckily, I did see Australia/Tonga! Wow. What a result.