Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:02:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League 2019

Started by dr beat, January 27, 2019, 05:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyg27

Could be worse: I set GB-NZ to record, got up early to watch it before the Union and found that the machine didn't bother, so I'm not happy (though it doesn't seem I missed too much).

Tonga-Australia is the most significant RL international result of my lifetime.

dr beat

It's official - Sonny Bill Williams to Toronto

mikeyg27

That should be fun.

Also confirmed: an Ashes series for next year, with games at Bolton, Leeds and the new Spurs ground, so that's another short train ride to a test match (although my understanding is that the transport at the stadium is a fucking nightmare right now).

dr beat

The Ashes tour news has even raised some faint optimism among the Totalrl forum - the place where the glass isn't so much half empty, rather the glass never had a bottom to begin with.

Old Thrashbarg

It feels strange to be saying this about inarguably one of the greatest coaches of all time, but Wayne Bennett is a fucking idiot.

I've questioned some of his selections before. 35 year old Chris Heighington being picked in England's World Cup squad, for example. John Bateman, one of the best second rowers in the world, being played at centre, having never played there before. Picking English players seemingly just because they currently play for an NRL team, despite a lack of matches/form. Etc.

But he really seems to have lost it this year. Firstly, the 9s World Cup team selection was bizarre, particularly in the semi final. You're playing against a New Zealand full of pace, so you choose a load of props and hardly any speed? And then for the GB squad, you pick two wingers (one of whom has barely played this year through injury and the other has not played well at all) and two centres (one of which has spent as much time in the halves this season), but three fullbacks and six halfbacks? Maybe it's deliberate sabotage, but if it is he's lost all subtlety he had before.

dr beat

This is dire from GB so far.

mikeyg27

The only good thing to come out of this GB tour are those track jackets. Can't wait to pick up one of those bad boys when they're heavily reduced in a few weeks.

And yes, this is one of the most bizarrely constructed international squads that I can recall. I feel bad for Blake Austin because he's trying hard but he's not a winter.

dr beat

Is that Unai Emery reffing? I take it he's closed the Bureau de Change for a while.

Deanjam

Turgid. Or turd-id. Whatever. Shite.

Deanjam

Shouldn't a united Britain be better than England? Quite impressive that they're much worse.

dr beat

Nice last minute offload.

Deanjam

This series has been a treat for fans of British players dropping the ball as they cross the line.

mikeyg27

It has been noticeable for the last five or so years that England / GB's attack suddenly gets a lot better when Daryl Clark is the dummy-half instead of Hodgson.

mikeyg27

Kinda hope PNG do us next week TBH.

Old Thrashbarg

Yeah, nothing to be gained from a GB win. Might as well have the excitement for PNG and have it prompt a clear out for us.

dr beat

PNG will have something to prove after their result today.

Deanjam

Quality collapse from GB. Doing their best to go winless on this tour.

Deanjam

Awful. But you can't help be happy for a country that loves Rugby League like PNG do.

mikeyg27

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team so tactically outmanoeuvred by scoots from dummy-half and first-receiver hit-ups before.