Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Kid Who Would Be King (2019)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 27, 2019, 10:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

Kid Arthur.

Pm me for my payapl, Joe.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That could be confused for a Buddha prequel.

St_Eddie

Alex Kidd in the Kingdom of the United

BritishHobo

The Kid Who Would Be King (Arthur)

St_Eddie

The Billy Goat Gruff Who Would Be King

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The King Who Would Be a Man (In About Ten Years)

Small Man Big Horse

The Kid Who Would Be Kong would have been a far better movie.

St_Eddie

The KID A Who Would Put Everything in Its Right Place

Gulftastic

The Kid That's What My Heart Yearns For Now.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 17, 2019, 08:07:56 PM
The Kid That's What My Heart Yearns For Now.

Previously unreleased and scandalous Michael Jackson song discovered in vault.  More at seven.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 17, 2019, 06:27:30 PM
The Kid Who Would Be King (Arthur)

The King Who Would Be 'Arf'ur-a-normal-King's-height

popcorn

Started watching this and turned it off.

It's so unbelievably basic, like a CITV program. Why are there no jokes?

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on March 27, 2019, 05:20:38 AM
It's so unbelievably basic, like a CITV program. Why are there no jokes?

How strange.  I said exactly the same thing about Schindler's List.

rasta-spouse

This is a really bad film on a lot of levels. And full of "there are no leaders in this country anymore" speeches (done by five or six characters) all vaguely hinting at something topical...how about being less cowardly and giving us a full on allegory for modern times then?

Expected more from Cornish. The acting is bad, the story is bad, lacks any sort of wit. 

Twit 2

It's interesting that Cornish mentioned admiring/being pally with David Walliams. Unfortunately Cornish has fallen into the trap of thinking that bececause he became famous for one thing (comedy) he'd be good at something else (directing) just because he likes it. Walliams's books are popular and they're not terrible but they really are bland and derivative compared to some proper children's authors who haven't just fallen into it. I fear Cornish has the same problem. Walliams wishes he was Dahl but he really isn't, even if gets Blake to do his illustrations; Cornish wishes he was Spielberg but he really isn't, even if he ticks off all his tropes.

Mister Six

Attack the Block was well put together, so he does have some directing talent.

Twit 2

Yes, but when he tried to emulate 80s kids' fare with this it obviously didn't work quite so well.

Head Gardener

my 14 your old lad gave up on this after 10 minutes - "it's crap" apparently

Phil_A

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 14, 2019, 01:57:08 AM
It's interesting that Cornish mentioned admiring/being pally with David Walliams. Unfortunately Cornish has fallen into the trap of thinking that bececause he became famous for one thing (comedy) he'd be good at something else (directing) just because he likes it.

He's wanted to make films for his entire career, it's not something he just decided to do. Went to film school and everything.

Just a shame his filmic career has been so disappointing after a promising start. Should've made Snowcrash.

rasta-spouse

Is Snowcrash still on the table? Would love to see it filmed, but maybe not by Cornish now.

greenman

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 14, 2019, 01:57:08 AM
It's interesting that Cornish mentioned admiring/being pally with David Walliams. Unfortunately Cornish has fallen into the trap of thinking that bececause he became famous for one thing (comedy) he'd be good at something else (directing) just because he likes it. Walliams's books are popular and they're not terrible but they really are bland and derivative compared to some proper children's authors who haven't just fallen into it. I fear Cornish has the same problem. Walliams wishes he was Dahl but he really isn't, even if gets Blake to do his illustrations; Cornish wishes he was Spielberg but he really isn't, even if he ticks off all his tropes.

To be fair I don't think Cornish was ever nearly as famous as Williams and is also in a business were the threshold for fame helping your career is far higher due to the kinds of costs involved.

As you say I think the problem is Cornish seems to see himself as a Speilberg like director or perhaps more currently like his mate Edgar Wright. I don't think he's ever really shown outstanding ability in that respect though. I mean Attack the Block's genre cinema elements are competently made but I wouldn't say they really stood out, rather what stood out was the more intelligent social commentary/drama and that's exactly what he's not going to get much time for in bigger entertainment blockbusters.

I'd say perhaps working on Antman was a mistake and really wasted the hype behind him after Attack the Block, that film might not have been that successful but I suspect something of similar quality released within a couple of years might have been. Generally I think the big blockbuster market tends to be the graveyard of careers for most people who aim for it, the vagaries of corporate politics deciding so much.

Phil_A

Quote from: greenman on April 14, 2019, 12:25:28 PM
To be fair I don't think Cornish was ever nearly as famous as Williams and is also in a business were the threshold for fame helping your career is far higher due to the kinds of costs involved.

As you say I think the problem is Cornish seems to see himself as a Speilberg like director or perhaps more currently like his mate Edgar Wright. I don't think he's ever really shown outstanding ability in that respect though. I mean Attack the Block's genre cinema elements are competently made but I wouldn't say they really stood out, rather what stood out was the more intelligent social commentary/drama and that's exactly what he's not going to get much time for in bigger entertainment blockbusters.

I'd say perhaps working on Antman was a mistake and really wasted the hype behind him after Attack the Block, that film might not have been that successful but I suspect something of similar quality released within a couple of years might have been. Generally I think the big blockbuster market tends to be the graveyard of careers for most people who aim for it, the vagaries of corporate politics deciding so much.

That's a good point actually, I think over-ambition might be Cornish's downfall. If he'd spent the last decade making lower budget features and really refining his craft, instead of aiming for the big leagues and constantly missing, he'd probably be in a much better place than he is now.

popcorn

Let's send him this thread, he might find it useful.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 17, 2019, 08:16:32 PM
More at seven.
Previously unreleased and scandalous Michael Jackson song discovered in vault.  More at seven.

idunnosomename

WHY WONT HE MAKE MORE TOY MOVIES AND STAR WARS TOYS SKETCHES

Twit 2

Quote from: Phil_A on April 14, 2019, 11:12:02 AM
He's wanted to make films for his entire career, it's not something he just decided to do. Went to film school and everything.

Just a shame his filmic career has been so disappointing after a promising start. Should've made Snowcrash.

Going to film school no more qualifies you to make a good film than doing a creative writing course does a novel or music school a good album.

colacentral

Quote from: Mister Six on April 14, 2019, 03:28:46 AM
Attack the Block was well put together, so he does have some directing talent.

From listening to the audio commentary with him and Edgar Wright though, it sounded like Edgar Wright was very hands-on with Attack the Block, in a Spielberg producing Poltergeist sort of way.

Mister Six

Hm, I've not listened to the commentary, but that's disappointing to hear.

popcorn

So. We are in agreement.

Adam has won.

Mister Six

Joe still did the better Quantum of Solace song though.