Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Panther scoops SAG award

Started by wooders1978, January 28, 2019, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

Am I allowed to say that this might be the most overrated film of all time?
It's a mediocre marvel movie ffs and people act like it's 12 Angry Men or something similar

biggytitbo

Isn't it because it's the first ever film with a black man in?

momatt

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 28, 2019, 08:20:00 AM
It's a mediocre marvel movie ffs and people act like it's 12 Angry Men or something similar

This is race hate.
You are worse that Hitler.

But without his cool uniforms.

wooders1978

I did wonder if by holding the opinion that black panther was only alright I might out myself as a far righter

Funcrusher

I have yet to see Black Panther but if it's as good as Creed it's well deserving of an award.

lipsink

It's bloody great. Dunno if it deserves this award though. But sure, why not? Michael B. Jordan's character and performance really steals the show so they have their work cut out to top that villain in Black Panther 2. Probably not the best Marvel film though (that's Winter Soldier or Iron Man 3) but it's still up there with one of the best.

wooders1978

Not a patch on either guardians, Thor ragnorok or infinity war in my opinion but I guess they aren't diverse enough

greenman

So not only undeserving but also not even the best film with Black Panther in it last year.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's not even the best Black Panther in the Beatles.

It has to be put in context though. This was an award for best ensemble cast. It was nominated against BlacKkKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, Crazy Rich Asians and A Star Is Born. Personally I'd have picked Klansman but Black Panther is easily the superior choice to the other three in terms of having a large cast filled with good actors.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Ironically, the cast is connected to the biggest problem with the film. Not because they are bad at all, but the abundance of characters leads to some poor structure and pacing.

BlodwynPig

Is it as good as Black Lightning Series 2?

Blumf

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 28, 2019, 11:51:58 AM
It has to be put in context though. This was an award for best ensemble cast. It was nominated against BlacKkKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, Crazy Rich Asians and A Star Is Born. Personally I'd have picked Klansman but Black Panther is easily the superior choice to the other three in terms of having a large cast filled with good actors.

Sorry to Bother You or The Old Man and the Gun deserve to be in there.

I was interested in Panther until I realised it was more comic book stuff.

lipsink

Black Panther stands out cos it's a film that works as a big superhero blockbuster whilst also tackling some pretty big issues.  It also proves that having a mostly black cast doesn't mean it can't make billions at the box office. It's an important film, y'all.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: lipsink on January 28, 2019, 02:28:27 PM
Black Panther stands out cos it's a film that works as a big superhero blockbuster whilst also tackling some pretty big issues.  It also proves that having a mostly black cast doesn't mean it can't make billions at the box office. It's an important film, y'all.

Pretty big issues? Like Racism in an alternative reality?

Mister Six

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 28, 2019, 08:20:00 AM

I don't disagree (well not entirely - I'd say it's a superior Marvel movie) but the awards were "Outstanding Performance by a Cast" and "Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble", not best picture or anything. And it did have decent stunts (though lots of shit CGI too) and a pretty fantastic cast. The competition (at least, the nominees) wasn't great either.

Peru

Why is everyone so bothered about Black Panther being nominated for awards when The Shape of Fucking Water swept the board last year?

Or when Shakespeare in Love/Gladiator etc won best picture?

Mister Six

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 28, 2019, 02:44:26 PM
Pretty big issues? Like Racism in an alternative reality?

No. Colonialism and the scars it has left on a supposedly post-colonial world; American interventionism (and more broadly the right of a country to intervene in the affairs of a weaker country); the continued oppression of black people in the US; the scars left behind on the black community by slavery and the loss of their ancestral ties; toxic masculinity in the black US community; the importance of family. Probably some other stuff too, but that's off the top of my head. It doesn't necessarily explore any of these issues in the depth a non-action film might, but it makes a decent fisy of it, and that it does so while hitting the usual action movie beats is impressive.

"Racism" in the way you appear to intend it (ie. white blokes calling people the N-word, rather than systemic and structural racism) isn't even slightly part of the film, aside from one of the villains being a dodgy Saff Affrikan.

Lord Mandrake

The Black Panther backlash is pretty weird. Anyway I hope it's score gets some plaudits for the talking drum/gangan playing, a much underappreciated sound.

greenman

The cast I can see a a bit more of an argument for, I do think Boseman and Jordan are pretty good but the film as a whole was as said a bit of a mess and often IMHO not very well made despite the massive budget, scenes like the waterfall fights for example just look cheap to me.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm more annoyed that Glenn Close won instead of Olivia Colman. If this happens at the Oscars I'm going to shit in to boxes and send them to every member of the Academy.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 28, 2019, 03:58:03 PM
I'm more annoyed that Glenn Close won instead of Olivia Colman. If this happens at the Oscars I'm going to shit in to boxes and send them to every member of the Academy.

Coleman has risen above her station.

"The Olivia Coleman backlash is pretty weird"

momatt

Quote from: Mister Six on January 28, 2019, 03:37:33 PM
No. Colonialism and the scars it has left on a supposedly post-colonial world; American interventionism (and more broadly the right of a country to intervene in the affairs of a weaker country); the continued oppression of black people in the US; the scars left behind on the black community by slavery and the loss of their ancestral ties; toxic masculinity in the black US community; the importance of family.

Funny, for me it was the opposite.
I'm not saying those issues weren't in the film.  But for me the main message was how bloody awesome an African state could be if it hadn't been totally fucked over for centuries by colonists.
A really interesting concept that I've never seen used before.  Closest thing would be the concepts behind the Drexciya electro albums.

I liked it on those merits and for being a generally fun film too.

WAKANDA FOREVER

Chollis

Quote from: Peru on January 28, 2019, 03:28:14 PM
Why is everyone so bothered about Black Panther being nominated for awards when The Shape of Fucking Water swept the board last year?

Or when Shakespeare in Love/Gladiator etc won best picture?

Erm, I think you'll find Gladiator was the best picture.

Mister Six

Quote from: momatt on January 28, 2019, 04:25:37 PM
I'm not saying those issues weren't in the film.  But for me the main message was how bloody awesome an African state could be if it hadn't been totally fucked over for centuries by colonists.
A really interesting concept that I've never seen used before. 

Oh yeah, that's in there too. It definitely deserves to win production and costuming awards too. If you want to see more of that kind of thing, Google Afrofuturism.

wooders1978

Quote from: momatt on January 28, 2019, 04:25:37 PM
A really interesting concept that I've never seen used before.  Closest thing would be the concepts behind the Drexciya electro albums.

I liked it on those merits and for being a generally fun film too.

WAKANDA FOREVER

That sounds a bit brexity though doesn't it?

momatt

Quote from: Mister Six on January 28, 2019, 05:24:06 PMIf you want to see more of that kind of thing, Google Afrofuturism.

I'm aware of the term when used in art and music (Rammellzee, Divine Styler, Juice Aleem), but not the wider senses.  I'll investigate.  :)

Z

It's not like any of the other nominees were especially strong contenders though, was it?
Didn't think much of Black Panther but it was more watchable than most the Marvel films I've seen.

What was the last properly good thing Glenn Close was in? The Shield?