Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The first 10-15 minutes of WTF with Marc Maron

Started by madhair60, January 28, 2019, 11:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Replies From View

madhair60

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on January 28, 2019, 12:52:00 PM
All of them. Honestly unlistenable.

Never heard them myself, to be honest.  Any good?

madhair60

lipsink

Doesn't he just read out the ad for the sponsor and go through his tour dates?

Blinder Data

It's a strange one because he can be a fantastic interviewer, displaying sensitivity and self-awareness. And yet he hasn't realised the introductory 10-15 mins of waffling on makes him sound like the insufferable cokehead he used to be. No one cares about your cats, Marc

Hat FM

he might not have realised this to start with but surely he has now? i think he should be allowed a bit of time to chat about shit. he's put out almost 1000 pods, some of which are incredible. When is Trump on?

rasta-spouse

On his tv show, when he reveals his yearning to be working in a 2nd hand bookshop with an annoying american lawyer and an annoying american something else who all like Kerouac. I was like "that's your dream bro!>?"

Ham Bap

At times the barrage in the first 10-15 minutes makes me change to another podcast, when I'm just not in the mood. (I know I can fast forward and stuff but sometimes forget when I'm listening in work and busy.)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Hat FM on January 28, 2019, 12:59:28 PM
he might not have realised this to start with but surely he has now? i think he should be allowed a bit of time to chat about shit. he's put out almost 1000 pods, some of which are incredible. When is Trump on?

Yeah, I think it's only fair to cut him some slack. He's produced hours and hours and hours of good, interesting stuff, so let him waffle on about his cats, sponsors and tour dates if he wants to. Just skip past his intros and delve into the interviews themselves.

As much as he annoys me sometimes - his rockist conservatism and ignorance of British comedy are particular bugbears - I've actually warmed to him over the years. He's a decent guy and a good, sensitive interviewer (but only when interviewing someone he's interested in, admittedly).

SteveDave

Chollis

unbearable, listened to my first one a few weeks ago and that first 15 minutes has put me off them for life. i know i could fast forward every time but i can't be arsed. cheers

Quote from: SteveDave on January 28, 2019, 04:04:30 PM
False

He can be absolutely dreadful when he's just going through the motions, but he's also capable of conducting really good, revealing interviews when he fully engages with his guests. At his best he has that skilled interviewer knack of asking straight questions and keeping quiet while the interviewee responds in depth.

He's also a pain in the arse.

Quote from: Chollis on January 28, 2019, 04:09:01 PM
unbearable, listened to my first one a few weeks ago and that first 15 minutes has put me off them for life. i know i could fast forward every time but i can't be arsed. cheers

You're missing out on some good stuff.

Shit Good Nose

I don't like Maron, but in his defence his podcast, and many others, are free to listen to because of sponsors and ticket sales for tours.  If he (and many many other popular podcasters) didn't spend the time on it, each episode would cost a few quid.  I know everyone would just illegally download them anyway in that case, but that's not the point.

Can't speak for the cat talk, though.

lankyguy95

Replies From View

The title alone should be putting off everyone over the age of 15, to be honest.  I feel quite embarrassed for however many of you have gone "Aha!  'WTF' stands for 'What The Fuck', I believe!  Good one!  In light of this, I shall be giving this podcast a go in due course!"

PlanktonSideburns

No one gives a fuck about anyone's cats other than their own right? Feel like there should be some sort of public information film. If someone instagrams or talks about their cat at me, I assume they are knowingly saying

I am a psychopath and know full well you are bored fuckless by what I am saying right now, but I want to talk and manners dictate you have to listen, so fuck you you pathetic little prick

Quote from: Replies From View on January 28, 2019, 05:37:37 PM
The title alone should be putting off everyone over the age of 15, to be honest.  I feel quite embarrassed for however many of you have gone "Aha!  'WTF' stands for 'What The Fuck', I believe!  Good one!  In light of this, I shall be giving this podcast a go in due course!"

I very much doubt that anyone, either on this forum or elsewhere, has ever gone through that thought process.

For what it's worth (FWIW), the title isn't supposed to signify a "WOOHOO! WHAT THE FUCK?! THIS GUY IS CRAZY!" attitude. It's a sighing, defeated "ah, what the fuck... life, eh?" thing.

Replies From View

His name isn't a stretch away from Maid Marion; maybe they could get her to do it instead?

Fabian Thomsett

'Man, I was seeing this girl and then it turned out I was an asshole and she broke up with me. This is what humanity is like, man. But I went out to buy all the Nuggets compilations on vinyl and, man, that's good shit. Use Stamps.com to end all all your posting misery. By the way, Boomer No. 5 just went missing again, man...'

BeardFaceMan

Thursday

This is going to sound like I'm sneering and I'm honestly meaning to, but why are you only just getting round to this 9 year old-opinion?

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 28, 2019, 06:33:55 PM
I'm not even sure Maron would agree with you on that.

Probably not.

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on January 28, 2019, 06:20:21 PM
'Man, I was seeing this girl and then it turned out I was an asshole and she broke up with me. This is what humanity is like, man. But I went out to buy all the Nuggets compilations on vinyl and, man, that's good shit. Use Stamps.com to end all all your posting misery. By the way, Boomer No. 5 just went missing again, man...'

Maron wouldn't buy a Nuggets compilation, that's too niche for him. He only listens to the Stones* and Bob Seger while playing dreadful guitar. Spot on otherwise.

* '70s Stones that is. He won't have any time for their superior '60s pop phase, because that shit is too commercial maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Cuellar

Cats are like arseholes. Everyone's got one and mine is a disaster. BABOOM

Sin Agog

Everyone, I'd just like to know: who are your guys?