Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

USB Turntables

Started by Prison Biscuits, January 28, 2019, 03:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Alright lads,

I'm looking for a turntable that I can convert vinyl to mp3s on. I've been on some websites but really I've no clue about what is good or what isn't and I think I'd ger better advice hear from people who know their stuff. I don't need an amp or speakers or a stereo - it's just a turntable I need, to convert a load of records I have that can't be found on streaming sites, blogs or p2p. My old record player is dead and my dad has this usb turntable but it sounds like the stylus is a bit of wire coat hanger or something, really hissy.
I am by no means a sound purist, but obviously don't want something that's tinny shite. Decent sound, decent price - my budget is probably somewhere around £100-£150, I mean that is a lot but I need this thing. Maybe it's not a lot? Some of things I was looking at were £300 or more.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

QDRPHNC

Sony's PS-LX300USB seems to be getting decent reviews, and the Audio Technica AT-LP60 is considered a decent entry-level USB turntable.

Disclaimer: I am not an audiophile or vinyl nerd. Given that, it can be difficult to find a balanced review of these cheaper turntables, they usually just get trashed when the hard core types review them.

BlodwynPig

Seen someone plug one into a Mac Book in a Starbucks.

QDRPHNC

BlodwynPig

Yeh, he was wearing espadrilles and reading Paulo Coelho.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 28, 2019, 03:32:01 PM
Sony's PS-LX300USB seems to be getting decent reviews, and the Audio Technica AT-LP60 is considered a decent entry-level USB turntable.

Disclaimer: I am not an audiophile or vinyl nerd. Given that, it can be difficult to find a balanced review of these cheaper turntables, they usually just get trashed when the hard core types review them.

Thanks for the rec. Entry level would be what I need, something simple.

NoSleep

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 28, 2019, 03:32:01 PM

I bet the main thing that really holds the cheap USB turntables back can be remedied by an upgrade of the cartridge. There'll be other things that can be improved but that will add some bass and fidelity. The problem then will be it may pick up more rumble from the inferior turntable mechanism. And I presume they have a built in convertor which could be a bottleneck if it's not up to at at least the quality of a cheap Behringer audio interface (which cost around £25).