Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:11:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Stand Up Sketch Show (ITV2)

Started by Clownbaby, January 28, 2019, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I'm gonna watch this tonight even though it looks shit. It's got Russell Kane and Joel Dommett in it so I know that it will probably be shit. If Russell Kane doesn't do that bit about how his dad is a total geezer and is disappointed in him then I'll cut off all my fingers.

jobotic

It looks horrifically shit. I like the gag about just having one quiet drink then being on the Jaeger bombs. Top quality. With the love rat gaslighter out of Strictly.

I won't watch a second of it but look forward to reading about i here.

bobloblaw

my inbox, today. State of this.
---

Subject: Are you free tonight?

BECAUSE WE'RE NOT! We'll be a bit bloody busy watching THE STAND UP SKETCH SHOW at 10PM on ITV2!

We don't know how we pulled it off, but a few months ago in a dark room, we convinced a few confused execs at ITV to let us make a TV show. It's too late for them to pull out now, so it's going ahead! If you miss it, we might be seeing you in a dark room too - PMSL!

10PM TONIGHT -  ITV2 - THE STAND UP SKETCH SHOW

So make sure u watch HUN! Don't let us down!!!

xoxo

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bobloblaw on January 28, 2019, 05:38:01 PM
my inbox, today. State of this.
---

Subject: Are you free tonight?

BECAUSE WE'RE NOT! We'll be a bit bloody busy watching THE STAND UP SKETCH SHOW at 10PM on ITV2!

We don't know how we pulled it off, but a few months ago in a dark room, we convinced a few confused execs at ITV to let us make a TV show. It's too late for them to pull out now, so it's going ahead! If you miss it, we might be seeing you in a dark room too - PMSL!

10PM TONIGHT -  ITV2 - THE STAND UP SKETCH SHOW

So make sure u watch HUN! Don't let us down!!!

xoxo

I don't know who you gave your email to, but you've only yourself to blame.

Clownbaby

Brundle-Fly

In their defence, I suspect people who post on CaB are not really the target audience.

Clownbaby

Ah know. I love Keith Lemon though so I'm probably not a model CaB member, not that I'd really want to be

The idea full stop of acting out a stand up routine  while the stand up routine is in the background is crap. What a bad idea.

Fambo Number Mive

Just found out what PMSL means. What has that got to do with seeing someone in a darkened room?

DrGreggles

c

DrGreggles

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Clownbaby on January 29, 2019, 11:22:42 AM

The idea full stop of acting out a stand up routine  while the stand up routine is in the background is crap. What a bad idea.

Is that the conceit? Jeebus.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Could have been interesting if they'd done "The Aristiocrats"

Chriddof

Would have been better if they'd gone the route of animating it, like that old short film of Jasper Carrott's "I've got this mole" routine. But that would require money, and imagination. And also a funny routine to animate, which you would be unlikely to get in this case.

rasta-spouse

I'm not going to watch this, but has anyone noticed how Joel Dommet speaks like he's putting on a non-PC chinese voice?

rasta-spouse

The 3rd of these was on reddit so I caved and watched. Harriot Kelmsley...switched off after three minutes. Genuinely appalled.

Quote from: Clownbaby on January 29, 2019, 11:22:42 AM
The idea full stop of acting out a stand up routine  while the stand up routine is in the background is crap.

It completely undermines the idea of the stand-up comic as storyteller, doesn't it? No experienced comedy person would decide to do it like this. Another example of producer-designed comedy I guess.

Also, is it only ITV1 or all of ITV that's just declared that it's no longer doing any scripted comedy? Bad times all round.

Earnest Sexpot

Leaving aside the obvious fact that the concept of the show is terrible and the various comedians featured don't have very good routines, there's something that's been chipping away at me about this and I can't think of anywhere to post it besides here.

So, stand-ups do a routine, their story is illustrated by a sketch, murders the timing, misses the point of stand-up, whatever. Russell Kane's routine revolves around women going to Weight Watchers, and imagines their meetings being similar to a secret society of witches, with women who gain wait or don't lose any subject to harsh ostracising punishments. It's a big load of nothing that fails even on an observational level because diet groups are usually extremely supportive of their members and try not to make people feel like failures so that they keep coming back.

Within this deathless routine, Kane adds little embellishments that seem to have been done for the express purpose of the sketch show. The visual is a meeting of red-robed women, Kane being robed-up with them in the sketch, playing a woman, and when listing the punishments inflicted by the Weight Watchers society, he includes 'strip her!', trying to conjure up a scene similar to the nude witches in Polanski's Macbeth, tossing out the aside 'big hairy bush' with other scene-setting detail.

If I was an uncharitable man, which I am, it would seem that Kane, knowing he would be cast in the sketch, and that the sketch would have to illustrate what he said perfectly, threw in those embellishments, that have little to do with making the joke any funnier, in order to be around a bunch of women getting their kit off. The only thing is, they don't, ITV2 obviously didn't want full-frontal nudity in their terrible sketch show, so the stripping and 'big hairy bush' are nowhere to be seen. There's a real discordance between the lurid scenario Kane is talking about and the sanitised fully-robed sketch on-screen, giving the overall impression of Kane as a dirty get who's been caught in the act. You just know conversations were had where he tried to get the nudity to happen but the producers were having none of it, otherwise those details wouldn't be in the routine in the first place.

It's concealed pervert behaviour, 'I can't just ask a bunch of women to take their clothes off, but I'll describe it happening on a show where everything I say HAS to be represented visually', the 'lies about own age' community sorely needs better representatives

colacentral

The concept has been done a few times in various ways over the years. Dr. Katz being the only one I can think of that it works in, maybe due to the limited nature of the animation and the dry way it's presented.