Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Has there ever been a good "duet" between a living artist and a dead one?

Started by thecuriousorange, January 28, 2019, 07:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden E. Pump

Johnny Marr got a few decent tunes out of the dead, soulless husk called Stephen Patrick Morrissey in the 80s.

studpuppet

MiddleRabbit

I knew this kid in the 90s who was known to all as 'Black Elvis' because he was an Elvis impersonator but, like many do, adopted his mannerisms all the time.  He was also pretty short.  I knew him because he was always hanging around the Hull Odeon, where I worked in the holidays and I liked talking to him.

He told me that the Job Centre had put him and a load of other solo tribute acts together and got them going round old people's homes and working men's clubs in pairs as some sort of working for your dole scheme.

The acts worked in pairs and took it in turns to be the 'headliner', except Black Elvis had been paired up with an Alison Moyet tribute and obviously, he told me, 'Elvis' couldn't support 'Alison Moyet', which was unfair on 'Alison Moyet' so what they did after Black Elvis's act, was to get someone to announce that the crowd was about to witness something amazing and unique - Elvis and Alison Moyet duetting on 'Love Letters'.

I never actually p heard them, but I bet it was the best duet between a 'dead' artist and a living one.

Other Black Elvis facts -

His favourite Elvis song was 'American Trilogy'.

He went to Karate classes just so he could incorporate moves into his act.  He showed me some in the foyer once and they were great.  He looked extremely serious as he did them.  My favourite part was when he held the pose for a good ten seconds or so after he'd busted his moves.

He brought his own cushion into the pictures in case someone particularly tall sat in front of him.

Brundle-Fly

Does The Threetles count? I'm one of the rare folk who really liked Free As A Bird and Real Love.

studpuppet

Quote"Duet"
Quote from: Brundle-Fly
"Threetles"

Quote from: studpuppet"No"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 29, 2019, 09:53:14 AM
Does The Threetles count? I'm one of the rare folk who really liked Free As A Bird and Real Love.

I'd say it's the closest thing to a good example of this. The other three being back together is more of an event than any of them noodling over the Lennon voice sample, though.

It certainly has more merit than Robbie Williams "with" Frank Sinatra or Michael Buble "with" Elvis.