Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Six Nations 2019

Started by fatguyranting, January 29, 2019, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So are Eleanogland Rigbyteam getting somewhere? Small sample size but England's approach so far has been fearless.

BlodwynPig

Haven't they been "good" for a few decades now?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 10, 2019, 03:53:45 PM
Haven't they been "good" for a few decades now?

You didn't watch England under Robinson and Corry then?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 10, 2019, 03:56:25 PM
You didn't watch England under Robinson and Corry then?

*shrugs*, at least you're lot are not backwards swimming France.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteMark: At least someone with the surname May is delivering for their county.

Corbyn sleeper cell in the Rugby live texts

Captain Z

Be good to get back to the 4 Nations though won't it, I don't remember voting for these tin pot countries to join us.

Cuellar

Wales v England int gonna be pretty

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Cuellar on February 10, 2019, 04:58:25 PM
Wales v England int gonna be pretty

I'd love Wales to win that one, but I can't see anything but an England Grand Slam now.

fatguyranting

Erm....don't fancy Wales beating England much on their current form. That said it is at home and I'm sure the Welsh media will be laying on the 'proud miners take on fancy public school boys' dynamic for the next two weeks so it should be a great game at least. England GS is more than possible I think.

EOLAN

Still have Irish media saying oh we hope Wales beat England so we can sneak a Championship Title. We are effectively two games behind with the bonus points; so not even that is going to help much.

Anyway; should still be top of my office prediction league.

poo

England looking very strong but Wales in Cardiff is going to be their big test.

Norton Canes

I liked that bit where the man's head split open.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: fatguyranting on February 11, 2019, 08:45:55 AM
Erm....don't fancy Wales beating England much on their current form. That said it is at home and I'm sure the Welsh media will be laying on the 'proud miners take on fancy public school boys' dynamic for the next two weeks so it should be a great game at least. England GS is more than possible I think.

That was the Wales second/third choice team though so basing anything on that dogshit performance doesn;t mean much. As poo points out a trip to Cardiff will also have a huge impact.

Still think the dirty saes will edge it though

daf

Quote from: fatguyranting on February 11, 2019, 08:45:55 AM
I'm sure the Welsh media will be laying on the 'proud miners take on fancy public school boys' dynamic for the next two weeks

Don't think I've seen much of that sort of thing, if any at all * - the TV trailers now all seem to focus on the fans (singing and preparing for a big day out) rather than the players.

- - - - - - - - -
* it'd be going against some sort of 'anti-bullying' code of practice to slag off the opposition based just on their nationality, wouldn't it?

poo

Yeah that doesn't really happen - surprisingly not even away from the media either. I mean we absolutely fucking detest England, of course, but I don't see the class thing come into it much.

daf

Not many miners in the Wales team anyway!

Thinking of that - when was the last international player to have a concurrent proper (non sports) job - would it be doctor JPR Williams in the 70s?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: daf on February 11, 2019, 12:44:42 PM

Thinking of that - when was the last international player to have a concurrent proper (non sports) job - would it be doctor JPR Williams in the 70s?

Dean Richards was a rozzer while he played for England in the 80s and 90s.

fatguyranting

There has been a bit of a cultural change pre-England/Wales games the last few years. Probably a result of that little fella from the Stereo-fucking-phonics (I can't remember a single time when I've gone to a pub back home in the last decade when their leaden soft rock wasn't on the jukebox) singing 'As long as we beat the English we don't care' on the BBC Wales adverts.

Regardless of the result I can't fucking wait and plan on watching it in a pub here in Cornwall. That's always a strange one. The majority of Cornish folk seemingly supporting England despite talk of 'colonialism' from over the Tamar the rest of the year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's difficult to react to the burning hatred from Wales (or indeed Scotland) without feeling vaguely bemused at the tiny mindedness of it. But if it gives you the edge you need to find it more entertaining, crack on.

(Btw I also think this applies to England vs Germany in football)

Cuellar

Nice to see centuries of oppression by a colonial power dismissed as tiny mindedness.

Brb heading to the #cancelled thread to make everyone aware of this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on February 11, 2019, 02:27:10 PM
Nice to see centuries of oppression by a colonial power dismissed as tiny mindedness.

Brb heading to the #cancelled thread to make everyone aware of this.

Well yeah, it is pretty pathetic, it's rugby.

Do you treat English people like this when you meet them? No, presumably. Either way, grow the fuck up or cancel yourself.

The Welsh and Scottish are quite right in pointing out how England beating Germany isn't retribution for the Blitz.

poo

Of course we don't treat English people like this. Nothing to do with the English. This is about the England rugby team. Evil incarnate.

Cuellar

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 11, 2019, 02:30:06 PM
Do you treat English people like this when you meet them? No, presumably. Either way, grow the fuck up or cancel yourself.

Yes. I spit on them. Being half-English I spit on half myself too.

Quote from: poo on February 11, 2019, 02:37:49 PM
Of course we don't treat English people like this. Nothing to do with the English. This is about the England rugby team. Evil incarnate.

Very much this. I think it's fair to say that even England rugby fans don't like the England rugby team. And I think even you'd admit that it's great fun to see Eddie Jones lose.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: daf on February 11, 2019, 12:44:42 PM

One of the Underwood's was an RAF pilot, I think, and didn't Jeremy Guscott work for British Gas???

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 11, 2019, 02:30:06 PM
Do you treat English people like this when you meet them?

Yes.

In fact being pseudo-Welsh, living on the Torfaen / Monmouthshire border, instills a sense of self loathing that is mostly reserved for neurose Jews

daf

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on February 11, 2019, 03:57:37 PM
didn't Jeremy Guscott work for British Gas???

He's certainly full of hot air - eh, readers!!

No, but seriously . . .

Apparently that was before he turned pro (and presumably before any international action?) :
QuoteGuscott was originally a bricklayer, briefly drove buses for Badgerline in Bath, then worked for British Gas in a public-relations role before the game turned professional.

Rory Underwood seems a good shout - he was playing for England (Eng-er-land!) between 1984 & 1996  :
QuoteHe took a ground-instruction job in 1995 at RAF Cranwell becoming a flight lieutenant, whilst playing for Leicester.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: daf on February 11, 2019, 04:20:22 PM
He's certainly full of hot air - eh, readers!!

No, but seriously . . .

Apparently that was before he turned pro (and presumably before any international action?) :

Rugby Union was amateur in this country until a ridiculously late time, though. I think that at that time they were mostly police and the forces.

daf

Ah, of course - I'd forgotten about that!

So in that case, MOST of the pre-professional era players must have been doing 'proper jobs' at the same time!

hummingofevil

Quote from: poo on February 11, 2019, 02:37:49 PM

It like how perversely I couldn't dislike the Lancaster England side as they were a bit shit and a bit nice. Putting Eddie Jones in charge and packing the team of horrible arrogant pricks makes me warm to them far more as a Welshman as it's what I expect the England rugby team to be. It's restored a bit of natural order.

On Welsh Twitter the current theme I keep seeing is an increasing split between football and rugby supporters with Welsh football fans (well the vocal ones with Twitter accounts at least) constantly bashing welsh rugby watchers m as royalist, unionist, part-time, daffodil hatted, drinks in the stands sell outs. I don't quite commit to the vitriol but I can sympathise with the point...