Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Six Nations 2019

Started by fatguyranting, January 29, 2019, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

I always like to see the home nations do well in any international tournament.

Except when they do better than us, like in Euro 2016. Know your place, lads.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on February 11, 2019, 03:57:37 PM
One of the Underwood's was an RAF pilot, I think, and didn't Jeremy Guscott work for British Gas???

I think Martin Bayfield was a copper too, all 6'10 of him. I think that's too big to be allowed to work, nobody else would be able to concentrate.

And Lawrence Dallaglio was a drug dealer.

Bennett Brauer

Forgot to mention that Dean Richards later trained as a phlebotomist.

Konki

Jamie Roberts studied to be and qualified as a medical doctor whilst playing for Wales and the Lions.

Cuellar

Apparently Gregoire Lascube was a detective

Konki

Imagine him kicking your doors in then telling you to put your trousers on. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Cuellar

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ten-coolest-day-jobs-held-players-1991-rugby-world-cup/

I think 'coolest' jobs is a bit of stretch considering one is 'dentist', one 'scrap metal dealer' etc. But still, interesting.

'Barman', 'Lorry driver', 'Piano mover' - it's just jobs really isn't it.

Dr Trouser

In 2009 the Scotland team had a Doctor and a Vet on the team.. The Doctor is the one famously given a yellow card as he was stretchered off after knocking himself out.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 11, 2019, 05:11:16 PM

On Welsh Twitter the current theme I keep seeing is an increasing split between football and rugby supporters with Welsh football fans (well the vocal ones with Twitter accounts at least) constantly bashing welsh rugby watchers m as royalist, unionist, part-time, daffodil hatted, drinks in the stands sell outs. I don't quite commit to the vitriol but I can sympathise with the point...

They make a fair point assuming they're describing the now sadly average punter who attends the milleniumprinicpalityfuckoff stadium these days. If they're talking about people like me who turn up to watch the might Pentyrch RFC dispose of Ponyclun RFC on a very wet saturday then they can fuck off.

poo

A real stomach turner - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47293013

Are England deliberately trying not to be liked?

poo

Why would any of those players want advice from that thick, racist ponceballing cunt?

Norton Canes

Presumably if they win the tournament he'll be on the pitch in full England strip

Norton Canes

Anyway Saint Crispin's day is in October.

poo

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 21, 2019, 09:28:01 AM
Presumably if they win the tournament he'll be on the pitch in full England strip

God, I'd puke up a turd

Cuellar

Not looking forward to this. Going to be a massacre.

Captain Z

Quote from: poo on February 21, 2019, 08:14:47 AM

Love how quickly the comments section got closed on that one.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: poo on February 21, 2019, 08:14:47 AM

Our boys got a 1 man play about Ray Gravell in the England dressing room at the stadium. Hope they all spunked over the benches the English have to sit on.

poo

Quote from: Cuellar on February 21, 2019, 11:00:08 AM
Not looking forward to this. Going to be a massacre.

For reasons too boring to go into, I'll miss the live game. Might be for the best.

fatguyranting

'Not looking forward to this. Going to be a massacre'

Aw come on let's have some positive thinking. It will be loads of fun regardless.

monolith

Wales have won 11 in a row, how exactly is it going to be a massacre?

Looking forward to it anyway, GS decider quite probably and could go either way.

Cuellar

Quote from: monolith on February 21, 2019, 04:25:10 PM
Wales have won 11 in a row, how exactly is it going to be a massacre?

Looking forward to it anyway, GS decider quite probably and could go either way.

You saw the French and Italian games, did you? Utterly shambolic for large portions. Granted it's going to be a proper strength team, but it was against France. If France hadn't gifted Wales a way back into that match they could have easily lost. I don't think England will be as forgiving. Ireland, number 2 in the world, looked utterly clueless against England. Wales, number 3 in the world, looked largely clueless against France and Italy for heaven's sake.

Don't fancy Wales beating Scotland at this rate, let alone England or Ireland.

monolith

You're finding a way to win every match you've played. I'm not saying England won't win but I very much doubt it will be a massacre and it wouldn't be a shock if Wales continued their streak, particularly as it's at home.

Cuellar

I don't think Wales should be finding a way to win against Italy ffs. They should just be winning. Comfortably, and by a large margin.

I'm sorry but you won't be able to reason me out of my pessimism.

monolith

A win is a win. England had some unconvincing victories in their record streak but they kept winning. Wales have every chance of keeping their run going. Looking forward to it, whatever happens. Nothing like a potential GS decider.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: monolith on February 22, 2019, 05:31:20 PM
I'm not saying England won't win but I very much doubt it will be a massacre and it wouldn't be a shock if Wales continued their streak, particularly as it's at home.

England have won their previous two games against Wales in Cardiff. I doubt they'll be intimidated this time either.

monolith

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 23, 2019, 01:25:30 AM
England have won their previous two games against Wales in Cardiff. I doubt they'll be intimidated this time either.
I think Wales would still rather play them in Cardiff than at Twickenham though!

studpuppet

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 11, 2019, 08:09:14 PM
I think Martin Bayfield was a copper too, all 6'10 of him. I think that's too big to be allowed to work, nobody else would be able to concentrate.

And Lawrence Dallaglio was a drug dealer.

Wade Dooley and Paul Ackford were second row partners and coppers of the 'old school'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TsX0kMWx7Y

Quote"They've made their point, let's hope it settles down," observed the soothing voice of rugby following a frank exchange of views between the England second-row Steve Bainbridge and his Welsh counterpart Steve Sutton before a line-out in the opening minutes. His hopes were quickly dashed one throw of the ball from the England hooker Graham Dawe later when Sutton had his nose accidentally broken by the flailing elbow of his second-row partner Bob Norster. Following the ensuing free-for-all, the Wales No8, Phil Davies, was forced from the field with his right cheek bone broken in three places by a punch thrown by Wade Dooley. "And I tell you this has got to be sorted out," counselled McLaren with obvious distaste. "What a start to an international."

What a start, indeed. Had the right hook with which Dooley felled Davies been thrown by one of the recalcitrants with whom the England second row was often forced to interact during his normal working hours as a serving police officer, the perpetrator would almost certainly have ended up in prison. On the rain-drenched morass of Cardiff Arms Park, Dooley escaped sanction of any kind from the referee, Ray Megson, who didn't see what had happened, although the Scottish solicitor was forced to issue a stern warning to the England No4 on the half-hour mark for repeated foul play in the scrum. A copper like Dooley, Davies had been replaced by Richie Collins, also a member of the constabulary. With so many British policemen from the mid-80s on the field, it's probably no great surprise the prevailing mood was one of violent menace, with scant regard for the law. Dooley would later claim he'd punched Davies in retaliation for an attack he'd seen somebody - possibly Davies, possibly somebody else - in a red shirt launch on his team-mate, the No8 Jon Hall. "I saw red, literally," he said. "It was a gut reaction, totally spontaneous. I lashed out at Hall's assailant, completely unaware of his identity, and the punch landed with a sickening thud on the side of Davies's face."

Cuellar

Bloody hell. Was that Ross Moriarty's uncle involved as well? He ended some guy's career with a bit of old school violence as well, didn't he?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 23, 2019, 01:25:30 AM
Quote from: monolith on February 23, 2019, 07:08:22 AM
I think Wales would still rather play them in Cardiff than at Twickenham though!

That's my reverse magical thinking talking - say I think England will win comfortably and hope I'll be wrong as usual. I don't want to see any crying daffodil lady faces.

Cuellar

Too many pointless errors for Wales, although England haven't run away with it off the back of them.