Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

6 dinner guests for an interesting dinner party you are hosting.

Started by bgmnts, January 29, 2019, 12:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Coo! What an appropriate person to reply yo this thread !!!!! :-D

Oh, well that's fucking marvelous, innit? What a fucking brilliant time for a new page >:-(

Dex Sawash

Quote from: paruses on January 29, 2019, 12:37:12 PM
Jesus Christ
Margaret Thatcher
Dennis Thatcher
Carol Thatcher
and
Mark Thatcher

Not sure about the 6th.

Dee Thatcher

bigfatheart

Seaman

Dixon        Adams        Bould      Winterburn

Sub Keown on for Bould after 80 minutes or so to see the dinner party out.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on January 29, 2019, 01:22:43 PM
I BET YOU WOULD PEACOCK YOU DIRTY OLD BOLLOCKS. I BET YOU FUCKING WOULD

where has this meme come from?

and BGMNTS, crap thread - pancreas at his worst type thread.

Attila

Everyone always wants Gaius Caligula -- although  he did once spend 10M sesterces on a single dinner party  (3 sesterces was a day's wage for a soldier). An amateur compared to Apicius, who splashed out 25M on a party once.

If you want to get some Romans in, get stuck into this lot:

*Bassianus (aka Heliogabulus) frequently deliberately served food that was inedible, but forced his guests to eat it anyway. He'd also surprise his guests by releasing leopards in the middle of the banquet.

*Get some congi champs in there -- congi was a booze chugging game. Novellius Torquatus could knock back three congi (about 10 liters) in one go; Cicero's son could down two congi in a single swig. Tiberius was such a professional drinker in his youth that his nickname was Biberius Caldius Mero (Boozey Hot Strong), a play on his name Tiberious Claudius Nero. He and his son could outdrink any takers except their family physician, who used to stuff himself with almonds before drinking to help soak up the plonk.

*Lucius Cornificius (cos. 35 BC) would get so drunk at parties he'd have to ride home on his pet elephant.

*Same emperor Tiberius fucking loved quiz games at dinner, especially when they challenged his knowledge of Greek drama and mythology. If he caught you cheating, he'd cut your balls off. Caligula would have poetry competitions at his parties; the losers would have to lick their poems off the papyrus or have their tongues cut off.

*You'd also find Sidonius Apollonarius a fun dinner party companion -- far more benign than the emperors. Sid lived in the 5th century and spent a lot of his time travelling around to colleagues' estates as part of his ambassador duties. He wrote a lot of letters about his experiences, and he talks about the food, but also the games played after dinner (he was keen on playing a rough ballgame that was kind of a mix between rugby and wrestling...or rugby. He was in the middle of a meeting with someone once, saw people playing this game outside in the garden, and leapt out of the window in mid meeting to join them). His pals would also have poetry slams and act out comedies by Terence and Menander for fun. He thought that anyone who didn't have access to hot springs on their estate  or a decent bath available were savages.

Buelligan

Marc Almond was going to be one of my choices,

Marc Almond
bgmnts' mum
Alan Carr
One of the wife contestants of TV's wife swap (DEALERS CHOICE)
Ross Noble
Noel Felding

Abosultely wicked night I reckon

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've decided: I'm going to swap poo for Sara Crowe. I'd get her to say "Philadelphia! ". I can imagine even David Batley's lugubrious mug cracking a grin at that 'un.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The best dinner party is one not dominated by one person, so I wouldn't invite any celebrities, even the purportedly nice ones.

I would love to insult Marc Almond so he blocks me though. Like a dirty old bollocks.

bgmnts

Quote from: Attila on January 29, 2019, 02:31:21 PM
*You'd also find Sidonius Apollonarius a fun dinner party companion -- far more benign than the emperors. Sid lived in the 5th century and spent a lot of his time travelling around to colleagues' estates as part of his ambassador duties. He wrote a lot of letters about his experiences, and he talks about the food, but also the games played after dinner (he was keen on playing a rough ballgame that was kind of a mix between rugby and wrestling...or rugby. He was in the middle of a meeting with someone once, saw people playing this game outside in the garden, and leapt out of the window in mid meeting to join them). His pals would also have poetry slams and act out comedies by Terence and Menander for fun. He thought that anyone who didn't have access to hot springs on their estate  or a decent bath available were savages.

5th century? Not even proper Roman then really.

king_tubby

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2019, 03:26:20 PM

I think you'll find the Roman Empire lasted until 1453, young man.

bgmnts

Quote from: king_tubby on January 29, 2019, 03:32:30 PM
I think you'll find the Roman Empire lasted until 1453, young man.

Not PROPER Romans though, were they? Surely not.

You can't dress up a Gaul or a Thracian in a tunic and call him a Roman, not having it.

Cuellar

Charlemagne
Charlie Mann
A jolly man
A trolley man
Actually men
Jacques Anqetuil

Endicott

Sebastian Cobb

Legend Gary
Gruesome Trevor
Pubes Daz
Them two Macaques
Generous Seagull

paruses

Would anyone invite Stephen Fry? I would have up to about 2002.

Cuellar

I'd invite Stephen Fry. No one else, just him.

Then just as the starters were being served, I'd excuse myself for a moment then never come back. I would then observe him through a hatch and see how long it would take for him to get up and leave. I would then observe his face as he realises all the doors are locked. I would then go to bed.

Sherman Krank

Hitler
Black Hitler
Gay Hitler
Jewish Hitler
Chimp Hitler
Cat Hitler

In the dinning room of House Hitler

Twed

Thomas the Tank Engine
Percy the Tank Engine
Gordon the Tank Engine
James the Tank Engine
Henry the Tank Engine
Edward, the Tank Engine

bgmnts

Quote from: Cuellar on January 29, 2019, 05:01:35 PM
I'd invite Stephen Fry. No one else, just him.

Then just as the starters were being served, I'd excuse myself for a moment then never come back. I would then observe him through a hatch and see how long it would take for him to get up and leave. I would then observe his face as he realises all the doors are locked. I would then go to bed.

How long do you reckon it would be before Alan Davies dives through the window to the sound of the QI klaxon?

paruses

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2019, 05:12:14 PM
How long do you reckon it would be before Alan Davies dives through the window to the sound of the QI klaxon?

Maybe:
Stephen Fry
Alan Davies (so he can shit-mime eating the starter that doesn't arrive)

Then do Cuellar's plan and see how they get on

Twed

paruses

Quote from: Twed on January 29, 2019, 05:25:27 PM
You're all just describing actual QI.

Stephen Fry
Alan Davies
Phil Jupitus
Rory McGrath
John Sessions
John Lloyd

Still do Cuellar's plan.

[edit to add John Lloyd - I would love to see this episode. Is that you're asking?]

Ferris

mrpupkin

Jesus Christ
Judas Iscariot
Pontius Pilate
1x chief priest from Jesus times
King Herod
Translator so I know what they're on about

Good to have a theme

paruses

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 29, 2019, 05:29:46 PM
My friends from university, but we're all 20 again.

Similar thing but 6 of the people I should have been friends with rather than was friends with. 5 of the people will be girls the the me now tells the me then 75% deffo want to sleep with me (then).

I think that's clear enough.

Attila

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2019, 03:26:20 PM

You'd have to go back and time and take that up with Sid, because he'd argue to the contrary. :)

You could fill up a dinner table (or three) with Romans from the 3rd C BC up to and including the 15th century, and none of them would be able to agree who was actually really Roman, and who wasn't, because even they couldn't decide on the criteria.