Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

6 dinner guests for an interesting dinner party you are hosting.

Started by bgmnts, January 29, 2019, 12:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2019, 03:44:54 PM
Not PROPER Romans though, were they? Surely not.

You can't dress up a Gaul or a Thracian in a tunic and call him a Roman, not having it.

Sidonius says the same thing in many of his letters mocking the Goths (including their king) for putting on Roman airs and activities and attempting to speak Latin, &c.

You could be a guest at my dinner party, bgmnts, because the nature of 'Roman identity' is something I write about and lecture on, and if we found a few other appropriate guests, we'd have a pretty good discussion.

bgmnts

Quote from: Attila on January 29, 2019, 05:50:00 PM
Sidonius says the same thing in many of his letters mocking the Goths (including their king) for putting on Roman airs and activities and attempting to speak Latin, &c.

You could be a guest at my dinner party, bgmnts, because the nature of 'Roman identity' is something I write about and lecture on, and if we found a few other appropriate guests, we'd have a pretty good discussion.

Don't even get me started on Goths.

I'd be quite a passenger in those discussions, just nibbling on the finger food and nodding sagely every 8 or 9 seconss.

Piers Morgan
Graham Linehan
Charlotte from Geordie Shore
Fabio Capello
Jeremy Corbyn
Pele

Small Man Big Horse

David Lynch
Vernon Chatman
Maria Bamford
Olivia Colman
Jon Glaser
Chris Chibnall (who we would cook and then eat)

seepage

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 29, 2019, 06:03:37 PM

^ best suggestion so far:

mrs seepage (in alan botney role)
melinda messenger
kath ryan
ruby wax
sarah siverman

Sherman Krank

In retrospect my original selection may have been a bit too hitlery, so I'm going to change it to...
Pugh
Pugh
Barney McGrew
Cuthbert
Dibble
Grubb
..as it's a bit less hitlery and they meet the required count.

Attila

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2019, 05:55:55 PM
Don't even get me started on Goths.

I'd be quite a passenger in those discussions, just nibbling on the finger food and nodding sagely every 8 or 9 seconss.

Sounds ok to me :)

(although, to be fair, I tend to avoid dinner parties and that as much as humanly possible. I'd be the one off in a corner reading a book while I ate. Life and soul, that's me).

Blue Jam

Quote from: mrpupkin on January 29, 2019, 05:30:26 PM
Jesus Christ
Judas Iscariot
Pontius Pilate
1x chief priest from Jesus times
King Herod
Translator so I know what they're on about

Just hold the dinner on Pentecost, you'll be grand.

Blue Jam

St_Eddie

Quote from: poo on January 29, 2019, 12:57:44 PM
6 x Nick Faldo

Genuinely had a private golf lesson from Nick Faldo, when I was a kid.  I won a Weetabix competition.  I had absolutely zero interest in golf (and still don't), so fuck only knows why I entered the competition in the first place.  My barely concealed disinterest made the whole thing very awkward.  Part of my prize also resulted in a set of golf clubs.  Sold them at a car boot sale the following year.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sherman Krank on January 29, 2019, 06:15:57 PM
In retrospect my original selection may have been a bit too hitlery, so I'm going to change it to...
Pugh
Pugh
Barney McGrew
Cuthbert
Dibble
Grubb
..as it's a bit less hitlery and they meet the required count.

I could never get my little head round Barney Mcgrew needing disambiguating by the use of his whole name, when there were two Pughs there.
perhaps you could ask them, if they turn up. will they be on stand-by, do you think?

Cuellar

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 29, 2019, 07:03:17 PM
Genuinely had a private golf lesson from Nick Faldo, when I was a kid.  I won a Weetabix competition.  I had absolutely zero interest in golf (and still don't), so fuck only knows why I entered the competition in the first place.  My barely concealed disinterest made the whole thing very awkward.  Part of my prize also resulted in a set of golf clubs.  Sold them at a car boot sale the following year.

This is a great anecdote. Made me chuckle in the St Lawrence library (where silence is very much promoted).

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 29, 2019, 07:27:43 PM
This is a great anecdote. Made me chuckle in the St Lawrence library (where silence is very much promoted).

Well, at least my awkward encounter, of many moons past, was good for something (other than a few bob for some dust gathering golf clubs).

Sherman Krank

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on January 29, 2019, 07:13:07 PM
I could never get my little head round Barney Mcgrew needing disambiguating by the use of his whole name, when there were two Pughs there.
perhaps you could ask them, if they turn up. will they be on stand-by, do you think?
Probably only one Welsh Pugh family but a shitload of Irish Catholic McGrews living in Trumpton.

Quote from: Cuellar on January 29, 2019, 07:13:48 PM
Was it not Hugh Pugh etc
It was not.

Bennett Brauer

Julian, Dick, Ann, George, Timmy the dog and Tony Pulis.

Seriously though, the Detroit Spinners and one of the Detroit Emeralds.

Buelligan

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 29, 2019, 07:03:17 PM

I hope you reported whoever bought them to the police.  They're practically hammers.

Bazooka

Regardless of the guests, the poltergeist of the Keith Floyd would be cooking the food, whilst I prepared the trifle.

Mr Farenheit

Divine
The guy from THAT episode  of 'Come Dine With Me'
Snoopy/Asterix from 'La Haine'
Oma from 'Fat City'
Alfred Hitchcock
Paul Gascoigne