Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Usual Suspects question

Started by madhair60, January 29, 2019, 02:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

If you had no prior knowledge of the film, would the opening flashback scene immediately make the identity of Keyser Soze apparent? Is the question "who is Keyser Soze" even raised at that point?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

No. I'm pretty sure the opening scene has him played by a different actor.

It doesn't matter anyway. This film could hardly be more #cancelled.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: madhair60 on January 29, 2019, 02:27:04 PM
If you had no prior knowledge of the film, would the opening flashback scene immediately make the identity of Keyser Soze apparent?

Given that I didn't guess who it was, no.  But that doesn't mean that others didn't immediately guess who it was.  After all, I was one of the few people who didn't guess the twist in the Sixth Sense (although I did guess The Others and Identity).

QuoteIs the question "who is Keyser Soze" even raised at that point?

See Claude's response.

I still think it's a brilliant film, regardless of brownface and Singer(*).

(*) - and Spacey, of course

madhair60

Cos someone's telling me that on their first viewing they immediately deduced Soze's identity within 30 seconds because "he's right there doing the explosion". She's a stupid, lying bitch. Why would you lie about a film?

bgmnts

I dont care who Singer has diddled or whatever, Usual Suspects and the first two X Men are fucking aaaaace.

Crabwalk

'And like that......

he's #cancelled'

BlodwynPig

I must have watched this whilst snoozing as I didn't see any mystery or reveal in the film at all. It played out pretty straight. I do remember it being a pretty dark and murky picture throughout, which may have obfuscated my viewing.

lipsink

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 29, 2019, 02:32:25 PM
Given that I didn't guess who it was, no.  But that doesn't mean that others didn't immediately guess who it was.  After all, I was one of the few people who didn't guess the twist in the Sixth Sense (although I did guess The Others and Identity).

See Claude's response.

I still think it's a brilliant film, regardless of brownface and Singer(*).

(*) - and Spacey, of course

Who was brownface in it? Pete Postlewaite?

Sebastian Cobb

I fucked this film up for myself by wandering into my mate's room in halls half way through and generally pissing about and not watching it until the big reveal. So I'm glad it's CANCELLED.

Still rate LA Confidential though.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: lipsink on January 29, 2019, 03:35:49 PM
Who was brownface in it? Pete Postlewaite?

No, I didn't mean there's a character called "brownface", I meant the brownface makeup which, yes, is worn by Postlethwaite.

Keebleman

Keyser Soze isn't even mentioned until the burnt Hungarian guy says his name.  Can't remember at which point in the film that is but it's some way in.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 29, 2019, 05:18:22 PM
No, I didn't mean there's a character called "brownface", I meant the brownface makeup which, yes, is worn by Postlethwaite.
I never noticed he had any "brownface" make up on, though it was about 20 years ago that I watched it for the one and only time (I did enjoy it a lot, just never felt the need to revisit) - I was more confused why someone with a Japanese name had a warped Welsh accent.

SteveDave

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 29, 2019, 05:25:26 PM
I was more confused why someone with a Japanese name had a warped Welsh accent.

This ^

Also, I was shocked at how much this looked like an 80s made for TV movie when I first saw it in the early 2000s.

a duncandisorderly

I thought it was utter tosh. not one of mister#cancelled's better flicks. but it's difficult to watch him in anything now, without wondering who (on the set) he was rude to &/or tried to fuck.

bgmnts

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on January 29, 2019, 05:34:10 PM
I thought it was utter tosh. not one of mister#cancelled's better flicks. but it's difficult to watch him in anything now, without wondering who (on the set) he was rude to &/or tried to fuck.

Oh god, a Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey set. Imagine the little arses clenched in terror.

lipsink

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 29, 2019, 05:18:22 PM

It would've been great though if his character was actually called 'Brownface'. Though difficult to explain why that would be on a cup of coffee.

It's a shame I can't watch Glengarry Glenross now. Spacey, like the whole cast, was excellent in it. I bet it influenced The Thick of It.

bgmnts

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 29, 2019, 08:33:18 PM
It's a shame I can't watch Glengarry Glenross now.

Yeah you can. Spacey isn't in it loads anyway.

DrGreggles

The Usual Suspects is a fucking tremendous film.

touchingcloth

I liked it when Kevin Soze made a video denying #mealso in character as Frank Urquhart.

Lad.

samadriel

Quote from: SteveDave on January 29, 2019, 05:27:25 PM
This ^

Also, I was shocked at how much this looked like an 80s made for TV movie when I first saw it in the early 2000s.

Yeah, I remember thinking Usual Suspects looked really cheap, which was disappointing given its good reputation.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: samadriel on January 30, 2019, 09:14:31 AM
Yeah, I remember thinking Usual Suspects looked really cheap, which was disappointing given its good reputation.

That's because it was cheap - the budget was $6million, a big chunk of which went on the actors.