Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:14:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What exactly is a meme?

Started by bgmnts, January 29, 2019, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneLa

It's when people cover up their own crippling lack of funny by embracing what has already been established as arguably amusing and quoting that instead. Prompting laughs of recognition, the crushing familiarity the only actual quality anyone can respond to.

A bit like my posts

It saddens me a bit when people I know who are genuinely funny and imaginative in real life resort to endless meme regurgitation on FB. Maybe they assume that's just how humour has to be 'done' on the internet?

To be fair though, for some it's definitely a "FB is shit, it doesn't deserve my wit" stance.

Icehaven

Article about a seven year old kid who is allegedly globally famous* for being in loads of memes, with lots of implied criticism about how his godawful family are milking it dry.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jan/28/gavin-thomas-meme-internet-son-social-media

*I don't remember seeing any of him but I have no memory for faces, unlike all of China apparently.

Blumf

Quote from: bgmnts on February 01, 2019, 03:00:36 PM
See, that's just a caption.

It's called an 'image macro', grandad!

Ray Travez

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2019, 10:06:43 PM
I have seen so many different things that have been labelled memes that I feel like i've been absolutely bummed silly with a confusion cock.

PARKLIFE!

Ray Travez

A meme's like a catchphrase that's shared among people- like a communal catchphrase that may or may not have a visual element

purlieu

Quote from: bgmnts on February 01, 2019, 03:00:36 PM
See, that's just a caption.
Nah, it was made on makememe.org, it's a meme.

I remember when those '50 questions about yourself' quizzes used to go around on MySpace and stuff and people called them memes. Because they were all about yourself, I assumed it was 'me me'. These days it just means a jokey image shared (generally with an embedded caption) on the internet. Once you old buggers have fucked off this earth, nobody will argue and that will be the strict definition of it. All is well with the world.

Ray Travez