Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Having a break from work

Started by Ferris, January 30, 2019, 06:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: pancreas on January 30, 2019, 09:39:21 PM
Or you could chase him round the house with one of your many terrorism hammers, like in The Shining.

I'd love to but unfortunately he's in Canada, I'm in France, it's just not practical.

pancreas

It's almost as if you want him to be bored.

Ferris

We discussed it offline - my apartment is very small so we'd have to take turns chasing each other around the piano (only piece of furniture that would work), and my wife put her foot down so unfortunately that was the end of it. We didn't even get to flights and schedules.

Not one of your best ideas to be honest.

shiftwork2

Can't be done with the idea of having no free time.  I'm contractually obliged to interact with the human race for up to 13 or even 14 fucking hours a day due to my occupation and necessary social ties.  That leaves a mere 2 or 3 hours of peace free from noise and banal observations and idiots bringing me their arsehole problems.  Those hours are what keeps me sane goddamit.  Best of luck with the new bairn.

Ferris

Ferris Jr born this morning, for those following along. 6am with no sleep, so that's whatever remained of my routine completely fucked.

king_tubby

Gregory Torso

I'm saying nothing, in case some cunt accuses me of being a fascist again.

Ferris

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 01, 2019, 08:23:52 PM
I'm saying nothing, in case some cunt accuses me of being a fascist again.

In my defence Greg, you had it coming.

Gregory Torso

True enough, my Stormfront chickens have come home to roost.

Ronalado

Ronalado look at babey first. Is in AMERICA? IS NO PROBLEM. See babey is possible. IS NEED IT.

Ronalado is come to see babey. please do not go out from the hospital. Is imporANT

BlodwynPig

I can confirm the baby is the spitting image of Ferris Bueller.

pancreas

Please allow me to subvert your baby at the earliest opportunity. UPS should suffice.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 01, 2019, 09:31:56 PM
I can confirm the baby is the spitting image of Ferris Bueller.

Baby has bigger sideboards.

Buelligan

Bloody massive congratulations to you and your lovely spouse, Ferris and congratulations to your new person, I wish happiness to you all. xxxx

Small Man Big Horse

Congratulations good sir, I look forward to Ferris Jnr's first post on the board in sixteen years time.

holyzombiejesus

Brilliant news. So happy for you. Hope the three of you are well.

poo

Dex Sawash

How do you get a baby home when the temp is the same in C and F? Wait until May?

Pingers

Congratulations Ferris, lad. It's a lot of fun, enjoy it.

Thursday

I love to take a break from work for 3 maybe 4 decades and then retire. Feel like that would be really good for my general well-being.

Brian Freeze

Congratulations on the babby to you all. Have fun!

Beagle 2

Uncle TechTip

Ferris

For the avoidance of doubt - this has been wonderful. Time off looking after my son and spending time with my wife has been so, so great. 3 months gone, 4 to go - I (genuinely) don't know how I'll cope with going back to work.

The money from the government means we don't have to do shit "count the pennies" budgeting, so we're figuring out how to be parents (and having 2 people do this makes the world of difference) without any other major worries going on and it's all been great. Fucking difficult at times, but never overwhelming. Wouldn't change a second of it.

The "not going to work" perspective has also been mind boggling - work is shit and you only do the minimum to get by. When (and indeed, if) I go back to my old job, I will be a lot more centred and keep my sense of what is actually important (ie real life). Anyway.

I was right though, my routine is completely fucked. Up at 4.30am on diaper duty this morning.

Glebe

You're an incredibly lazy, workshy fop, Ferris. Seriously though, nice one mate.

Dex Sawash

CaB is at its best when posters have a few unoccupied moments when pissed up or sleep deprived. You should put a selection of your posts in little FWB's baby book.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 30, 2019, 02:56:59 AM
For the avoidance of doubt - this has been wonderful. Time off looking after my son and spending time with my wife has been so, so great. 3 months gone, 4 to go - I (genuinely) don't know how I'll cope with going back to work.

The money from the government means we don't have to do shit "count the pennies" budgeting, so we're figuring out how to be parents (and having 2 people do this makes the world of difference) without any other major worries going on and it's all been great. Fucking difficult at times, but never overwhelming. Wouldn't change a second of it.

The "not going to work" perspective has also been mind boggling - work is shit and you only do the minimum to get by. When (and indeed, if) I go back to my old job, I will be a lot more centred and keep my sense of what is actually important (ie real life). Anyway.

I was right though, my routine is completely fucked. Up at 4.30am on diaper duty this morning.

I built up paid leave for handling the becoming a parent (parts 1 and 2-3), to absorb the financial shock and to allow my wife to have the longest period of paid maternity (thanks Austria for the 15 months). I effectively went part time for a couple of months too (I took every minute of overtime due) when the twins arrived. I have found that I am now a lot more focused work wise - am having less overtime but being just as productive. And bizarrely am doing better in my reviews. The only thing I do notice is that nights out are less frequent and I end up having to catch up with three sets of friends in a single evening.