Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things To Do In Berlin When You're Dead

Started by phantom_power, January 30, 2019, 03:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Dead set on having some fun that is!

I am going to Berlin for a few days later in the year. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to go in terms of historical shit, arty wank, boozy larks, snaffling scran and all the other stuff you do for gits and shiggles?

I am already thinking of doing a Bowie tour, either official or unofficial, and checking out Hansa studios, checkpoint charlie, the Reichstag and the Brandenburg Gate. What else?

Neville Chamberlain

Visiting Neville Chamberlain is great if you're up for some boozy larks!

phantom_power

Are any of the Bowie tours worth doing or is it better to just strike out on your own and see the touchstones yourself?

Keebleman

Take the Fat Tyre Bike Tour the first day, as it's great for getting your bearings.

At some point, you must visit Bei Schlawinchen on Schoenleinstrasse.  Best decor of any pub in the world, and it's open 24 hours so there is no excuse for not going.

Try not to overdose on Nazi and Stasi stuff, as it can get a little draining.

finnquark

On the trip we take students on, we go to: the Reichstag, the German History Museum, Berlin Cathedral (the crypt is cool), the TV Tower, Hohenschönhausen Stasi memorial, Sachsenhausen, the Olympic Stadium, the Wannsee Conference House, the Allied Cold War Museum, Treptower Park (Soviet War memorial), the Checkpoint Charlie Museum, the DDR Museum, the former Stasi HQ in Lichtenburg, and on a tour of Cold War era bunkers built into the U-Bahn.

alan nagsworth

When I went to Berlin I spent roughly fifteen accumulated hours of my two and a half days there in one brightly lit bar/currywurst restaurant called Curry Und Beer, which was less than 10 mins walk from our hostel, eating a load of greasy food and getting rat arsed with my pals. I had a belter of a time so I definitely recommend you do that.

phantom_power

What are your pals up to at the beginning of March?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bars wise visit the toilet bar and an old timer joint called Dicke Wirtin (i think)

Golden E. Pump

Pretend you're the ghost of Albert Speer and whisper apologies to unsuspecting diplomats.

phantom_power

I am staying near the Molecule Man which seems a bit out of town but still within reasonable walking/train distance of all these places if we branch out in a different direction each day

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 30, 2019, 11:42:12 PM
Bars wise visit the toilet bar and an old timer joint called Dicke Wirtin (i think)

Dicke Wirtin is nice. Just around the corner from there is the Berlin institution that is Schwarzes Cafe, which is open 24 hours (except Tuesdays from 3 a.m. to 10 a.m. when they give it a bit of a clean.

Finnquark's student tour seems pretty comprehensive. If you're staying near the Molecule Man, that's basically Treptower Park, so a short stroll to the Soviet War Memorial.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Keebleman on January 30, 2019, 10:46:55 PM

At some point, you must visit Bei Schlawinchen on Schoenleinstrasse.  Best decor of any pub in the world, and it's open 24 hours so there is no excuse for not going.

That looks really good! Not sure how I missed it. But yeah, look forward to trying that place.

Blue Jam

If you're dead, donate your no-longer-needed squishy parts to this place:

https://www.bmm-charite.de/collections.html

If, like me, you like looking at dead things in jars of formaldehyde, you'll love this.

Pseudopath

Sounds like you're at the other end of town, but if you're ever in the vicinity of KaDeWe, Tiergarten or Berlin Zoo, nip into the basement of the Europa-Center shopping mall and you'll find a great Irish pub (amusingly called Irish Pub). Best Guinness in Berlin and some tasty fry-up breakfasts.