Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,405
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it racist

Started by Cuellar, January 30, 2019, 03:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

If someone says to a Muslim colleague, regarding someone playing a practical joke on said colleague "You should put a fatwa on him!"

madhair60

ER Islam isn't a race

Edit: That said, yes, it is racist.

Cuellar

PlanktonSideburns

Yes.

Get em a greggs tommoro morning to apologise

Jittlebags

A nice sausage roll.  <- hope that wasn't racist.

Cuellar

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 30, 2019, 03:47:56 PM
Yes.

Get em a greggs tommoro morning to apologise

I didn't say it!!

Jittlebags

I'd say if it were said on the basis of knowing the person was a muslim, it isn't racist. If it was said based on the person's colour, then racist. But that's only me.

PlanktonSideburns

phantom_power

If you know the person well enough then it isn't racist but you wouldn't need to ask this question so on the basis that you even need to ask then yes it is

Norton Canes

Cuellar

p.s. this is also someone who said, on seeing me eating a bagel, 'god your team is always eating bagels...it's when you all start coming in in little skullcaps that we need to worry!!'

What do you say to that level of banter.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Cuellar on January 30, 2019, 04:07:10 PM
What do you say to that level of banter.

"fuck off", definitely.

hummingofevil

Only way it is acceptable level of banter is if your colleagues are both relatively junior Islamic scholars and the "You should put a fatwa on him" was delivered by a peer of equal ranking in reference to the fact that the recipient of the joke not does not have the necessary authority to issue them.

Cuellar

Fed up of working with loads of straight white cunts smdh

Jittlebags

Can't see why we can't take the piss out of religious practices. With so many religious systems, assuming a best case scenario of there being one true religion, all the other must therefore be a loads of bollocks, and if you can't determine which is the one true religion, you may as well take the piss out of all of them.

e.g. them Branch Davidians are a weird fucking bunch. Who is to say that Jesus, Mohammed, Buddah and Jina Vardhamana Mahavira weren't historical equivalents of David Koresh? 

Cuellar

Yeah fine, didn't seem like this was an attempt to take the piss out of the theological absurdities of Islam though. More of a 'hey, you're Muslim right? Do a fatwa like you lot always do'

Captain Z

Unless, of course, you're a Muslim.

Muslim...Muslim... Yeeeaaahhhhhh.

Sebastian Cobb

A bit racist; massive lack of self awareness.

Cuellar

I tell ya, I'm this close to resigning from Labour Party HQ!!

Nowhere Man

It's a bit strong yeah, but I sniggered anyway i'm ashamed to say.

"Get yourself out of that one, Rommel."

Jumblegraws

Quote from: madhair60 on January 30, 2019, 03:45:07 PM
ER Islam isn't a race

Edit: That said, yes, it is racist.
Not sure how serious you're being, but might as well stick my oar in on this.
Race is such a shakey concept that it seems like a specious distinction to make in context. I've seen constructions of 'race' that involve religious identity. Regarless, the sort of anti-Muslim discrimination you see in Britain is so closely adjacent to what we'd unequivocally call racism as that "Islam isn't a race" is pedantry at best.
Edit to add: you obviously weren't being serious, dunno what's wrong with me, bye.

Kryton

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 30, 2019, 05:33:42 PM
I've seen constructions of 'race' that involve religious identity.

Examples? Which races specifically involve religious identity?

Nowhere Man

This is gonna be a long thread isn't it

Uncle TechTip

There certainly are some challenges we have to face to increase diversity in tech.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Cuellar on January 30, 2019, 03:43:59 PM
If someone says to a Muslim colleague, regarding someone playing a practical joke on said colleague "You should put a fatwa on him!"

Y'know, like J-Lo.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bringing up someone's religion arbitrarily, as above is a twat move and potentially offensive. Completely inappropriate at work. It isn't racist as such but it's heading towards being. It's like saying 'oh why don't you pray" if some orders haven't arrived. Just the kind of absolutely inane dickhead thing only an absolutely inane dickhead would ever say.

thraxx

Quote from: Captain Z on January 30, 2019, 05:14:13 PM
Unless, of course, you're a Muslim.

Muslim...Muslim... Yeeeaaahhhhhh.

+1 Karma. One of my favourite bits of comedy ever for some reason. It's in my head most days.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Kryton on January 30, 2019, 05:38:48 PM
Examples? Which races specifically involve religious identity?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnoreligious_group
But I think the bigger point is that there's not really such a thing as a "race" in the first place. We're stuck with the word "racism" now, it just doesn't signify anything concrete.

Cuellar

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 30, 2019, 05:40:43 PM
This is gonna be a long thread isn't it

Yeah oops

If we can confine ourselves to roundly condemning my racist colleague that'd be great.

Mister Six

Your colleague is a cunt and you should report him to HR.