Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:05:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious A > B influences that're still worthy of respect.

Started by alan nagsworth, January 30, 2019, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

I'm talking about a modern day band or artist that was so directly influenced by a previous generation's band or artist, but you don't dislike the modern day equivalent or accuse them of ripping the oldies off because they still carry a charm all their own and you love them for who they are.

Today I was giving the ol' "154" by Wire a listen - fuck me, that's a good album innit? - and of course it's pretty bloody sharp and ahead of its time in many ways, but by gum, I'd say roughly half the songs on this album are a direct blueprint for the band Iceage, whom I also very much enjoy and respect. The sluggish, almost goth via post punk swagger of Iceage, particularly their more recent work, is totally half-inched from "154". A couple of the songs sound exactly like Iceage, in fact!

Iceage are fucking ace, though. With their gnarly scum-crusted punk noise that evolved through country music influence on "Ploughing Into the Field of Love" and into the snarling great post-punk bastard of their latest and best album "Beyondless". Even if their singer is a posturing tit, who by all rights would have respectfully fit right in to that scene in the '80s, they are very talented.

Deerhunter and The Dandy Warhols deffo deserve a mention in here as well, but I'll leave them for later.

Johnny Textface

The couple of tunes released thus far by the band 'Animal Husbandry' sound alot like really great Radiohead songs. I'm tentatively looking forward to an album from them.

sevendaughters

I remember the writer Chris Ott suggesting that, as a young band, you'd be better off - if stuck for inspiration - to try and make a xerox of your favourite bands. Wholeheartedly commit to writing 'a song like (x)'.

Because, he reasoned, your frailties and idiosyncrasies as an ensemble will actually push you away from the path and make you realise what it is you're good at and actually make you sound nearer to yourself than if you deluded yourself that you're original and superior. It's an interesting thought!

TV Ghost were pretty much channelling the mid-point between Cramps and Pere Ubu and I thought they did it with considerable style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2uM4qMxMQ ('Bastille' off Cold Fish)

hummingofevil

How it took nearly 30 years to really bed in but the influence of house music over modern pop music to point it's almost indistinguishable. Arguably you could say it's a continuum from pop to disco to house and back to pop but it's bizarre to think of a world pre 1970 where the 4 to the floor beat and offbeat open hats wasn't the natural staple of popular music.

jamiefairlie

I think that dance ubiquity in modern pop has drained it of diversity and vitality compared to say the 65-68 or 79-81 periods.

Back to Wire for a moment, I always felt there was a clear line from Syd era Pink Floyd to the Wire of Outdoor Miner, compare it to Arnold Layne for instance

fucking ponderous

all recorded sound from mid 60's - late 80's > lcd soundsystem

phantom_power

In this thread does > denote progression or comparison?

Sebastian Cobb

Sir Mix A Lot > Nicki Minaj.
Sweet Home Alabama > That Kid Rock Song

Not really, both of those are wank.

Kinks > Jam

Kinks > Blur (less explicitly but Ray Davies > Albarn seems nailed on)

'Progression' is hard to define or measure. You can't 'progress' from Motown or peak Beatles/Beach Boys/Dylan because it's already as close to perfection as popular music can be.

alan nagsworth

Another sort of post-punk related one is Young Marble Giants making one album and two EPs of really minimalist pop ditties at the start of the 1980s that massively paved the way for Stereolab, definitely Broadcast, and to a further extent even bands like The xx.

What's especially great is that even though Stereolab and Broadcast both have far broader careers, expanding the style in as many wondrous ways, YMG's "Colossal Youth" stands tall alongside it at all times. It's so fucking tight and groovy and the barebones structure of it just makes it even more exciting, the restraint of it, like. Disco music had happened, and then no wave stuff came about, and YMG feels like some sort of response to that. As intense as both of those scenes were, what the band did here was take those sounds and turn them into some sort of muscle relaxing bubble bath. You've been up for three days straight on cheap speed and coke and this is the bit where you finally get into bed (before the horrid comedown when you wake up). You can still hear bits of the previous nights in your head, but only as distant fragments.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 31, 2019, 11:41:44 AM
Kinks > Blur (less explicitly but Ray Davies > Albarn seems nailed on)

Kinks > XTC > Blur

or, more unkindly;

Jilted John > Leisure/Modern Life is Rubbish era Damon Albarn

Brundle-Fly

boki

We Are The Physics1 were always upfront about being heavily indebted to Devo, but they had enough presence of their own to carry it off.

1most of whom are now back as Slime City

phantom_power

I know it will be an unpopular on here but I can't get enough of bands that slavishly copy that Motorik German style, such as Public Service Broadcasting and Fujiya and Miyagi. It seems almost impossible to fuck it up, to my ears at least

alan nagsworth

Quote from: phantom_power on February 02, 2019, 10:18:19 AM
I know it will be an unpopular on here but I can't get enough of bands that slavishly copy that Motorik German style, such as Public Service Broadcasting and Fujiya and Miyagi. It seems almost impossible to fuck it up, to my ears at least

I only say this because you're prepared to be received unpopularly, but Public Service Broadcast fuck it up so much I don't think they have ever successfully fucked it down.

greenman

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 01, 2019, 04:08:06 PM
Wire are a great band.

Giving Iceage a listen them seem like Wire with all character successfully removed.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 01, 2019, 04:06:44 PM
Howlin'  Wolf > Beefheart > Tom Waits

I'd also stick Dr John and Kurt Weill in there somewhere.

the science eel

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 30, 2019, 08:19:29 PM
I remember the writer Chris Ott suggesting that, as a young band, you'd be better off - if stuck for inspiration - to try and make a xerox of your favourite bands. Wholeheartedly commit to writing 'a song like (x)'.

Because, he reasoned, your frailties and idiosyncrasies as an ensemble will actually push you away from the path and make you realise what it is you're good at and actually make you sound nearer to yourself than if you deluded yourself that you're original and superior. It's an interesting thought!

It is. It's how Can ended up as they did (after attempting to sound like 'I Am The Walrus'). There are other examples. U2, I think.

chveik

Quote from: phantom_power on February 02, 2019, 10:18:19 AM

Public Service Broadcasting's first album is very nice.

phantom_power

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 02, 2019, 03:55:07 PM
I only say this because you're prepared to be received unpopularly, but Public Service Broadcast fuck it up so much I don't think they have ever successfully fucked it down.

Ath exthpected

Howj Begg

Quote from: Bently Sheds on January 31, 2019, 08:47:04 PM
Kinks > XTC > Blur

or, more unkindly;

Jilted John > Leisure/Modern Life is Rubbish era Damon Albarn

Also Barrett-era Floyd > Blur 1990 -94

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: the science eel on February 02, 2019, 05:42:54 PM
It is. It's how Can ended up as they did (after attempting to sound like 'I Am The Walrus'). There are other examples. U2, I think.
U2 trying to copy either/both Joy Division and PiL, presumably?

DrGreggles

Sebastian Cobb

All those black Americans that made funk > Average White Band.

the science eel

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 03, 2019, 04:59:44 PM
U2 trying to copy either/both Joy Division and PiL, presumably?

Yes. Bongo's always on about it. They were inept

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: the science eel on February 03, 2019, 08:16:37 PM
Yes. Bongo's always on about it. They were inept
I have wondered how Hannett put up with Bongo especially (and I doubt he was too impressed by the drummer), but perhaps he was getting a big pay day out of it and decided to play nice.