Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trigger Warning with Killer Mike on Netflix

Started by Carpool Dragon, January 31, 2019, 01:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I watched this last night cos I'm a massive RTJ fan, turns out it's pretty funny. I think it was influenced by Nathan For You -every episode is Mike coming up with ideas to solve the world's ills, causing ridiculous situations that people react to, and a recurring cast of odd characters (who I'm not entirely convinced aren't actors, Mario especially). Fake or not, the fifth episode is one of the funniest things I've seen since, well, Nathan For You. Check it out!

Vitalstatistix

Surprised this hasn't generated more discussion here, especially considering the involvement of perennial CaB favourite Vernon Chatman.

I wasn't sure about it at first, but it really won me over. The recurring characters elevate it. I think Nathan For You is a decent comparison, but it definitely feels distinct from that, with much more of an obvious focus on social and racial issues in America, as you would expect.

There's some really good lines and moments throughout, and Mike is a great character, constantly on the wind up but playing everything very straight.

rasta-spouse

I gave the first one a watch.

The initial idea was interesting ... but it's not clear that it's a comedy. I didn't know that Chatman was involved until reading the above post.

What it reminds me of is the Romesh in America show, in that it's kind of obvious that everything is set-up. Killer Mike won't really sleep on a park bench, and he definitely will eat that barbecue. In fact, Run the Jewels were in Just Another Immigrant - I wonder if there's a crossover on the production team.

EL-P saying "fucking with the OG the long way" was really neat though.

ToneLa

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 02, 2019, 10:23:15 AM
I gave the first one a watch.

The initial idea was interesting ... but it's not clear that it's a comedy.

Hmm, watching the first episode the silliness + earnestness of the conceit immediately struck me as Chatmanesque. I don't know how it couldn't be a comedy. Loved the surreal reaches of the live-black idea like him not knowing if a park bench to sleep on was black-owned!

I don't think it's doing a Nathan for You in that Killer Mike is making himself the target of the jokes per se. And he is not an antagonist like Sacha Baron Cohen. In that sense it feels quite.... warm?

It's a shame the phrase "situation comedy" means something else, as I think the humour here comes from the concept being stretched to odd lengths. In that sense, I was amused at the concepts, and not the people in it per se.

chveik

I concur, it's a really good series. and it's definitely a comedy.

I don't really understand why it's on Netflix though, it's more Comedy Central/Adult Swim material.

ToneLa

The second episode had me crying with laughter!

Felt like Final Flesh but improved

Twed

Quote from: ToneLa on February 10, 2019, 08:43:41 PM
The second episode had me crying with laughter!

Felt like Final Flesh but improved
I thought it was really unimaginative and tried to stretch a single, weak idea for a joke out for too long and decided to quit watching the entire thing.

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on February 10, 2019, 09:59:42 PM
I thought it was really unimaginative and tried to stretch a single, weak idea for a joke out for too long and decided to quit watching the entire thing.

Duly noted!

For me it is very much the lengths it goes to producing the hilarity

rasta-spouse

With Episode 3 this show really lives up to its title. I don't know much about the Bloods and the Crips, but having them make their own brand of cola is an entertaining watch and the show feels quite dangerous.

But whereas Nathan 4U would have three or four ideas in a 22 minute show, all of which were tightly edited for laughs, Trigger Warning just deals in a single idea and leaves the fat on it for the entire runtime. I wish E-LP would come back, he seemed funny.