Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Needing new friends

Started by madhair60, January 31, 2019, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

As long-time madhair60 fans will know, all my real person friends moved away and left me with the absolute detritus of my social circle, the people who play Warhammer and Cthulhu and spend their Friday evenings looking at the Fantasy Flight games website and I tell them about an interesting thing that happened and they glaze over and turn to the computer going "...maybe FFG has updated."

So, I need to make new friends, but I don't know how an adult does this without coming across like a massive fucking granule. How do you DO IT?

Paul Calf

It's often said that new friends are not made after the age of 30. So make friends with some children.

Petey Pate

You could try posting on an online message board.

Spoon of Ploff

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to be considered for the position of madhair's new best friend. I enclose a copy of my CV.

Yours Faithfully,
ESP

pancreas

I never have enough friends. There's meetup.com. You could join a choir. You could invite someone to the pub after work.

Why don't you organise a mini-meet with Dr Greggles and Angrew? They can be your friends.

NoSleep

Quote from: madhair60 on January 31, 2019, 10:36:21 AM
As long-time madhair60 fans will know, all my real person friends moved away and left me...

"It doesn't cost much to keep in touch"

studpuppet

Make children.
Children make friends.
Make friends with children's friends' parents.

hedgehog90

Quote from: madhair60 on January 31, 2019, 10:36:21 AM
How do you DO IT?

Asking CaB this question is like asking a homeless person how they make so much money.

Flouncer

Just forget it man. People are cunts. Embrace failure and die alone.

Cerys

Endicott

I've heard slimming world is a great way to make friends

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'd like to help you, but, unfortunately, I have no friends whatsoever, so am not in a position to be of any practical use. :-(

Cuellar

Quote from: studpuppet on January 31, 2019, 11:24:53 AM
Make children.
Children make friends.
Make friends with children's friends' parents.

This seems to be the way it's done now. Not being a dad I'm not invited to all the cool dad events, like dad football, dad pushing baby around in a pram, and dad sitting on sofas looking exhausted. I wish I was a dad, but I'm also very glad I'm not.

jobotic

I'm sorry to say this but I wish you nothing but bad luck in your task of finding new, decent friends as I enjoy hearing about the detritus too much, without whom I might still be unaware of the phrase "neckbeard". Sorry.

Cerys

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 31, 2019, 11:32:51 AM
I'd like to help you, but, unfortunately, I have no friends whatsoever, so am not in a position to be of any practical use. :-(

Depends what he builds them out of, surely.  You could be very useful indeed.

madhair60

Quote from: jobotic on January 31, 2019, 11:35:19 AM
I'm sorry to say this but I wish you nothing but bad luck in your task of finding new, decent friends as I enjoy hearing about the detritus too much, without whom I might still be unaware of the phrase "neckbeard". Sorry.

That's completely fair

MojoJojo

Games Workshop run game sessions at the weekend, you could try there.

madhair60

What has to have gone wrong in your brain to like Cthulhu card games and Warhammer though? Going to another county to take part in an "X-Wing" tournament against children. This is a genuine and real thing they do.

They invited me to "Salute". I looked it up. I would genuinely rather go to eugenics than that.

madhair60

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 31, 2019, 11:36:59 AM
Games Workshop run game sessions at the weekend, you could try there.

Mate I tried. I went to Inner Sanctum and that where these cunts congregate and, for the love of fuck's sake, they STINK. THEY DON'T WASH THEIR BODIES. How can I in good conscience spend time around them? Hi I'd like to buy these cards please. Certainly sir that will be thirty quid. SORRY MATE HOW MUCH, meanwhile the honk of the void is forcing itself into my smell holes.

Mr. Internet

But do they like Undertale, though?

Find friends who like Undertale. Or not, I don't know any myself.

Fambo Number Mive

I have two friends. I used to have more but I lost them when I was unwell. They were work friends but two of them were really good friends but now they won't speak to me. This makes me very sad and I miss them.

I really struggle to make friends outside of work. I really need human companionship but a lot of the time I don't know what to say to people.

Small Man Big Horse

FerriswheelBueller's having a baby soon so maybe he or she could be your new friend.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Who's going to link to that "Jam" sketch, with Julia Davies putting superglue on people's car door handles and setting tripwires for cyclists, and that ?

Head Gardener

Quote from: pancreas on January 31, 2019, 11:14:48 AM
I never have enough friends. There's meetup.com. You could join a choir. You could invite someone to the pub after work.

Why don't you organise a mini-meet with Dr Greggles and Angrew? They can be your friends.

I did this with a film group via Meet-Up and went along to a screening of Evil Dead thinking I'd be in good company,
however after 5 mins of general intros and film chat and the group excitement at the then forthcoming Mary Poppins
I just thought fuck this for a game of soldiers and never went to a Meet-Up again

dex

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 31, 2019, 11:46:12 AM
Who's going to link to that "Jam" sketch, with Julia Davies putting superglue on people's car door handles and setting tripwires for cyclists, and that ?

Ha, I know the one. But when Madhair gets his new friend(s) he can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Inei1wfSo&feature=youtu.be&t=1092&fbclid=IwAR0mCuRphjDsP99MjuD3nZjbKLRlLSbo72unmAd1-hDCYSXMS_Gwbj1M9yI

Buelligan

My serious advice is move to a small community (provided you're fairly open-minded about what sort of friends you want).  I did this, I didn't even want any of the fuckers.

After that, you just join in with any old shit that's going, help out, smile at people you pass in the street, five minutes later, you're in for life whether you want it or no.  I am not even lying.  Small community and make sure not to act like a cunt.

Anyway, I'm your fucking friend madhair.

Edit to add - try to choose somewhere with reasonable weather, you'll never meet anyone if they're all indoors.

rasta-spouse

I do think that after school and university there should be a third or fourth thing in the same vein that allows people to get a re-up on the friend stash.

I don't know anyone who has a Meet Me at MacDonalds haircut, for example.

Jerzy Bondov

I went to my sister's birthday party and she had more friends there than I do on Facebook. How's she done that? Well, she's got hobbies hasn't she. Plays folk music, classical music, volunteers at places of historical interest. She likes talking to people and hearing their stories. What's your hobby madhair? I believe it's having wrong opinions about video games isn't it? You need to parlay that into having friends.

kittens

join a club
The South England Legion of Dickheads
was gonna do a big list like what shoulders does but fuck it just one is fine.