Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Needing new friends

Started by madhair60, January 31, 2019, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

I bet people call me an info-dumper behind my back. I had no idea it was a thing.

damn.

Icehaven

I've just remembered that episode of Frasier when he realises he hasn't got any real friends apart from Niles so decides he's going to make some new ones, and after hearing a bloke in the coffee shop quoting Mark Twain decides that must mean they could be best mates and invites him to dinner, only for the bloke to immediately start going on endlessly about barbecue and plonking a hideously tasteless tartan beret on his head (There's a whole thing with him being in a wheelchair too but that's just to make Frasier feel too guilty to ditch him, although it's farmed for a few potentially questionable laughs too.)

Not terribly helpful, just a makes a point that having one or two things in common doesn't mean you're potential best buds. And that it's bastard hard making friends as an adult.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on February 11, 2019, 01:11:23 PM
Not terribly helpful, just a makes a point that having one or two things in common doesn't mean you're potential best buds. And that it's bastard hard making friends as an adult.

I wonder if it's to do with tastes diversifying when you become adults. When you're a kid your social circle mostly consists of people who all go to the same school, and everyone basically likes football, and Blue Peter, and pogs. "Do you like pogs? Me too - let's be friends and watch Blue Peter".

When you're in your 30s, you've figured yourself out a bit. You spend the majority of your time with idiots in an office so no help there, and you have more niche interests like John Fahey or the Tour de France.

(I assume. I'm not in my 30s).

Pingers

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 11, 2019, 08:02:40 PM
I wonder if it's to do with tastes diversifying when you become adults. When you're a kid your social circle mostly consists of people who all go to the same school, and everyone basically likes football, and Blue Peter, and pogs. "Do you like pogs? Me too - let's be friends and watch Blue Peter".

When you're in your 30s, you've figured yourself out a bit. You spend the majority of your time with idiots in an office so no help there, and you have more niche interests like John Fahey or the Tour de France.

(I assume. I'm not in my 30s).

I always hated Blue Peter you absolute dweeb.

Ferris

Quote from: Pingers on February 11, 2019, 08:16:10 PM
I always hated Blue Peter you absolute dweeb.

We would not have been friends aged 7, unless you had some really good pogs. Or you had one of those cool pog-makers where you could make pogs out of anything.

Edit: one of these https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sq9r50EYJh0

Malcy

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 11, 2019, 08:37:51 PM
We would not have been friends aged 7, unless you had some really good pogs. Or you had one of those cool pog-makers where you could make pogs out of anything.

Edit: one of these https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sq9r50EYJh0

I had one of them! I used to use the Whats On TV magazine to make EastEnders pogs! I wonder if there's any on Ebay. I want to make more!

But you being a football fan would mean I wouldn't have let you use it! Always hated football.

Thing is with making friends when you're older is that like said above its harder to make them. But incredibly easy to reluctantly become friends with someone you really don't want to.

Dex Sawash

fuck do you do with a pog(s)?

Ferris

kittens

nobody liked blue peter! that was a total loser's show. imagine assuming everyone liked blue peter. what must that child's brain look like. a duck egg suspended by fleshy wires inside a pointless skull. re-do your childhood please.

biggytitbo

It was more popular with students than kids, especially during the Konnie Huq years.

Pingers

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 12, 2019, 08:02:02 AM
It was more popular with students than kids, especially during the Konnie Huq years.

Oh yes.

"I'd like to ____
Konnie Huq"

Bazooka

Can't think or other programs that had pets, did they live in the studio at night?

biggytitbo

The presenters took them home with then - there was an exercise book in the producers office and they'd sign the Blue Peter tortoise or gerbil out for a week at a time.

pancreas

And bring them back covered in cum and shit. If they brought them back at all.

biggytitbo

They brought them back but they were always very slightly different and nobody could ever quite work out why.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I hate most of Blue Peter as a kid, so dull and Tory conservative, but nevertheless must have watched hundreds of episodes of it between '92 and '97

imitationleather

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 12, 2019, 09:10:59 AM
I hate most of Blue Peter as a kid, so dull and Tory conservative, but nevertheless must have watched hundreds of episodes of it between '92 and '97

Me too, and I wasn't even sexually awakened enough at the time to use the excuse of finding the presenters attractive. I do definitely remember thinking "It's alright, imitationleather. Just get through this shit and it's Neighbours. It's gonna be okay."

biggytitbo

Everyone always goes on about the episodes where Konnie and Liz went to the turkish baths or tried on Victorian corsets, but what about that bit where they both got bare and starting going at each other with giant antique dildos? I'm not entirely sure it was a real episode rather than something imagined but I think the former.

pancreas

Those weren't dildos. Those were eels.

It must have improved a bit since the 70s, when I watched it, and when it was ultra-twee.

purlieu

Although I probably watched every episode broadcast while I was a kid, my only memories of Blue Peter are taping the 'make your own Tracey Island' bit (never did make one), and Katy Hill wearing fishnets one day.

Ferris

Yeah this is about right. 7 year olds aren't particularly discerning. I liked the bits with the animals or where Tim Vincent flew around in a plane or whatever.

Anyway, my point was that more or less everyone was in the same cultural boat (except kittens who was 2 KOOL 4 SKOOL) which is why kids find it easy to relate to each other.

See also: yo-yos, that shit haircut that was like a floppy centre parting, crash bandicoot.

Captain Z

I've just realised that The One Show is basically Blue Peter for people who are vaguely aware they are supposed to be adults.

Sebastian Cobb

Days with Biker Grove were definitely better than days with Blue Peter.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 12, 2019, 05:40:26 PM
Days with Byker Grove were definitely better than days with Blue Peter.

Some of BlodwynPig's finest work imho tbh

Rolf Lundgren

I can't believe anyone enjoyed watching Blue Peter. I too must have watched it hundreds of times because there was nothing else on and barely remember anything apart from the appeal where you had to send in old cutlery. Grange Hill, Byker Grove, Activ 8, they were all better. The alternate days when The Lowdown was on though, Christ those were tough weeks.

TrenterPercenter

Have you tried being fun?

People like fun people.

shiftwork2

My older brother was very into Blue Peter.  Cunt wanted to organise a Bring and Buy Sale.  He had all the annuals.  I shall refer him to this thread. Alright nice one

madhair60

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 13, 2019, 10:57:45 PM
Have you tried being fun?

People like fun people.

Wh-!! I'm fun! I'm fun! Watch this!

(Enacts a cartwheel, botches it and tanks down the stairs, dying instantly)