Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2019

Started by Malcy, January 31, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

First 100 shows have been announced today. Nothing that interests me yet.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on#q=*%3A*

Announcement dates for the rest of the shows.

28 February
21 March
18 April
16 May
05 June – Programme Launch

CaledonianGonzo

Josie Long sent out a newsletter today and says that she'll be doing a full run in The  Stand.

DrGreggles

I'm there from 11th August, so I'll probably go to see Dean Friedman.

CaledonianGonzo

Blue Jam

Craig Hill and Jim Eoin? There's a surprise.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on February 05, 2019, 09:10:21 AM
Heh? I though Nanette was suppose to be her last stand up show ever?

She does Art lectures now I think (if she's finished with Nanette). She did them before and the one I saw was very good (and also quite funny).

CaledonianGonzo

She's said that she meant it at the time but the way Nanette was received caused her to reconsider.

hummingofevil

Is that "received" as in made shit loads of cash?

Not  to blame her and Nanette still works regardless but I know I wouldn't sack off my career the moment I made a breakthrough.

CaledonianGonzo

Circumstances changed, so I don't really blame her for changing her mind.  Although it's a key part of Nanette, it also seems to have been, originally, a whim.  You'd have to guess they the new show will maybe address it.

Although I dunno whether it'll even come to Edinburgh.

slempike

She's said the amount of opportunities she now has she'd be an idiot to turn down, and she'd rather be a hypocrite than an idiot. Fair play to her.

DrGreggles

Quote from: slempike on February 06, 2019, 06:51:28 PM
She's said the amount of opportunities she now has she'd be an idiot to turn down, and she'd rather be a hypocrite than an idiot. Fair play to her.

Maybe she's both?

JCR

In fairness it's not exactly uncommon for performers to say they're quitting then they don't. I remember watching US punk band NoFX playing London in the year 2000 and them saying on stage that they had promised they'd never play London again (after a previous gig ended in a punch up) but then economic reality intervened. And it's pretty much a cliche in Edinburgh.

Looking forward to Colt Cabana's solo hour. Yay Fringe.

Timothy

Wait what? A Colt solo hour? Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

JCR

He was doing spots at ACMS shows last year with a view to doing an hour this year, hopefully it still happens (& isn't a car crash, obviously). They've said the talking about bad wrestling show will he him and John Hastings this year, as Brendon Burns has retired from Edinburgh.

CaledonianGonzo

JCR

I dunno, he said he can't do two shows a day for 3.5 weeks anymore without wanting to sleep the other 22 hours & he did look pretty goosed last year.

I'm sure he will be back at some point but do doubt he will do the full festival again.

JCR

According to the Evening News, Gilded Balloon have been given Adam House on Chambers Street, C Venues have been thrown out by the University as there is a campaign against C who are said to be the worst employer at the Fringe.

In any case, it's a very nice building Gilded Balloon have got out of it.

Theremin

Quote from: JCR on February 11, 2019, 05:31:27 PM
According to the Evening News, Gilded Balloon have been given Adam House on Chambers Street, C Venues have been thrown out by the University as there is a campaign against C who are said to be the worst employer at the Fringe.

In any case, it's a very nice building Gilded Balloon have got out of it.

I worked inside that building a few Fringes ago, while it was C Main.

They were indeed hugely exploitative of their (mainly student) workforce. Absolutely criminal that they asked people to work for so little, especially as venue staff for the other large companies are (relatively) well paid - considering the hours.

JCR

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 11, 2019, 03:41:57 PM
Rhod Gilbert:

https://twitter.com/PleasanceComedy/status/1094913977723830272?s=19

£23.50 (including booking fee) per ticket for that by the way, no concessions. I can see Bob Slayer and the other pay what you want guys having a good year.

DrGreggles

Another 100+ shows added this morn.

CaledonianGonzo

High hopes for S. Lee doing some WIP at The Stand.

DrGreggles

I don't think The Stand announce their full programme until May.
Stew is due an appearance though.

Malcy

Glad Al Murray is there. Couldn't get tickets to his Glasgow show at the Stand so this gives me another chance.

Seagullsim

Has anyone found an easier way to see the newly listed shows than just scrolling through pages on the edfringe site? It only shows 10 at a time, so you're clicking for ages. Their export doesn't work for more than 100 shows either.

Cheers

DrGreggles

Quote from: Seagullsim on March 01, 2019, 11:20:52 PM
Has anyone found an easier way to see the newly listed shows than just scrolling through pages on the edfringe site? It only shows 10 at a time, so you're clicking for ages. Their export doesn't work for more than 100 shows either.

Cheers

Not really. Except for applying the 'recently added' filter.

CaledonianGonzo

"Added in the last two weeks" is the only way I've worked out.   

Didn't see much of note in the recent tranche though. Maybe John Robins' follow-up show at the Pleasance.

Seagullsim

Robins is a must-see, and i've also added Sofie Hagen and Reg Hunter to my 'maybe' list...

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 02, 2019, 06:47:30 AM
Maybe John Robins' follow-up show at the Pleasance.

Main thing that leapt out at me too.