Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:57:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2019

Started by Malcy, January 31, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: JCR on April 18, 2019, 01:52:45 PM
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where Monkey Barrel 3, 4 & 5 are?

Mibbe City Caff or Cabaret Voltaire?

DrGreggles

hummingofevil

I haven't had chance to sift through everything yet but I thought Monkey Barrel was easily the strongest venue last year and to memory pretty much every show I saw there was sold out or close to it so it's an obvious step to expand. Just hope the rooms they get as conducive for good comedy.

zomgmouse

There's about a 0.000008% chance I'll be able to get to Edinburgh this year and it makes me really very sad. Aaaalas.

Timothy

I know the Fringe is a few months away but I already have a question about PWYW for you all.

Last year we bought tickets for all the PWYW shows we attended. Mostly due to convenience: We come from Europe, getting money out of the cash machine cost money and we usually don't have any spare change with us.

Afterwards, when the bucket appears, even though we bought tickets, we felt slightly guilty not to put money in. Some comedians also gave us a bit of a dirty look when we showed the ticket and walked past them.

What do you usually do? Buy tickets AND give money? Buy tickets and put the ticket in the bucket?

Quisby

All the ones I went to the acts in their bucket speech said if we had tickets it was fine. I would wave my ticket at them as I passed but they didn't seem too bothered. I'm sure there was one act mentioned here who seemed to think that the ticket just guaranteed you a seat and you were supposed to give them money as well. Can't remember who it was and wasn't something I came across in my experience of several shows.

Brundle-Fly

If you've bought a ticket, you don't have to put money in the bucket. It's the free fringe, so you're not obliged to chip in anything anyway and comedians shouldn't give punters dirty looks if you don't. I suspect most comedians wouldn't do that as it's not in their interests for word of mouth advertising reasons.

Timothy

Visited a lot of Free Fringe PWYW shows last year and while most of them didn't, there were a few comedians who either gave us a dirty look or asked why we didn't pay. Which made for a slightly stressed experience at the others.

Edit: Removed the ''and''.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on April 21, 2019, 02:00:28 PM
I know the Fringe is a few months away but I already have a question about PWYW for you all.

Last year we bought tickets for all the PWYW shows we attended. Mostly due to convenience: We come from Europe, getting money out of the cash machine cost money and we usually don't have any spare change with us.

Afterwards, when the bucket appears, even though we bought tickets, we felt slightly guilty not to put money in. Some comedians also gave us a bit of a dirty look when we showed the ticket and walked past them.

What do you usually do? Buy tickets AND give money? Buy tickets and put the ticket in the bucket?

My general rule of thumb is the following:

If I stay till the end I give a fiver (which I almost always do). If I've bought a ticket I stick that in the bucket. If the show is good might chuck a couple of quid extra. If it's excellent I'll give tenner.

It is a bit of a daft system having PWYW and tickets but the venues that use of have consistently put on the best shows for last few years.

What they should do is increase merch. It works in wrestling. Lucy Pearman has all sorts of arts and crafts stuff you can buy. She's worth it anyway but her, Richard Gadd and Trevor Lock are the best at doing the "give me a note and you can have..." schtick. Trevor Lock must have been making £250 a day from his show which isn't bad going.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on April 21, 2019, 02:41:17 PM
Visited a lot of Free Fringe and PWYW shows last year and while most of them didn't, there were a few comedians who either gave us a dirty look or asked why we didn't pay. Which made for a slightly stressed experience at the others.

Good. If you walk out after 10 mins fair enough but if one stays for an hour and don't chuck in a fiver then they ARE a bit of cunt. I can see 10 shows in day on a good day and I appreciate it adds up but I'm never going to take piss and not pay a performer for hosting me (even if they don't entertain me).

Timothy

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 21, 2019, 03:13:58 PM
I'm never going to take piss and not pay a performer for hosting me (even if they don't entertain me).

Shouldn't have added ''and'' in my comment you quoted. We only visited Free Fringe PWYW shows, not Free Fringe and PWYW shows.

We mostly only visit ''free'' shows when you can buy your tickets beforehand. But a few comedians got a bit pissed off when the put the ticket in the bucket. Therefore my question. :-)

Timothy

Good call about the merch! But when most venues ask for a commission on merch I'm not how many people actually make money on the stuff they sell.
But I would love to be able to buy more scripts, like the Herring, Lee and Thomas scripts they sold after their shows.

DrGreggles

I'll generally buy a ticket for PWYW and stick a fiver in as well.
Tenner for FF.

DrGreggles

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 21, 2019, 03:10:48 PM
Trevor Lock must have been making £250 a day from his show which isn't bad going.

I've had to stop taking his books - go too many of them now.
He's always worth at least a tenner anyway.

Have Bannermans announced anything yet?
I'll leave a 3pm gap in my calendar for one day, just in case.

Brundle-Fly

Good. If you walk out after 10 mins fair enough but if one stays for an hour and don't chuck in a fiver then they ARE a bit of cunt. I can see 10 shows in day on a good day and I appreciate it adds up but I'm never going to take piss and not pay a performer for hosting me (even if they don't entertain me).

Absolutely!

Timothy

Absolutely agreed. Although I would probably never walk out a show. Don't want to disrupt the performance.

Timothy

And already booked tickets for Frank Skinner, Russell Howard and Paul Feig. Waiting until the rest of the programme (Summerhall mainly) before I book other shows.
Gonna be a great month.

WestHill

This is my long list, which I'm whittling down to a five day run:

110% John Kearns and Pat Cahill 23:55 20/8/19 monkey barrel 4
Ben target 2pm@ hive 18-21 aug
Carl Donnelly 7:40 spiegelyurt
Dan soder 7:15 dairy room
Ian smith 5:15 buttercup bristo square
Jessie cave 6:30 assembly george square
Joe jacobs 4pm caves just tonic
Johnny white really really 9:30 black medicine
Liza treyger 10:25 underbelly bristo square buttercup
Lou Sanders 3:15 monkey barrell 3
Mat Ewins 9pmcaves just the tonic
Pat Cahill 3:15 monkey barrel 5
Phil wang 8pm pleasance courtyard
Sean morley 3:20 the hivenot 21st
Seymour Mace 1:30 the stand 3
Stuart goldsmith 3pm monkey barrel 4
Stuart Laws 12:20 Monkey barrel 1
Tony Law 12:15 Monkey Barrel 3
Zoe Coombs Marr 7:30 Monkey Barrel 4
Trevor Lock
George Fouracres Pleasance Courtyard
Alun Cochrane 13:25 pleasance courtyard
Rob Auton 2:50 assembly george square
John luke roberts 5:30 or 23:30 assembly grorge square
Tom Parry 6pm pleasance
Rousin and chiara 6:20 the hive - not 20th
Sarah Kendall 7pm assembly George square
Jordan brookes 21:30 pleasance
Police cops 21:20 Assembly George square
John Kearns monkey barrel
Michael Brunstrom
Max and ivan 8:20 pleasance dome
The death hilarious
Kiri pritchard mclean
Emma sidi
Lucy Pearman monkey barrel

Would be really grateful for any theatre recommendations.

Small Man Big Horse

Man that's an impressive list, if I was at the fest I'd love to see all of those bar Tom Parry (who I blame for making Pappy's Fun Club shit) and Phil Wang (saw him live late last year and he just wasn't that great).

DrGreggles

Parry's last show was fantastic.

Sebastian Cobb

Some of the best stuff I've seen is the free stuff, so it only seems right I pay them accordingly. Although admittedly I've definitely on occasion just blindly grabbed a fistful of smush out of my back pocket and let it thud into their bucket. Probably about a fiver in there, maybe more if there's some nuggets in there.

hummingofevil

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 21, 2019, 10:33:41 PM
Parry's last show was fantastic.

Yellow T-Shirt was one of best hours of comedy I've ever seen. Last year's flop kids show about Kafka was also really good despite there being hardly anyone in the Queen Dome. I'm seeing his new one in Machynlleth so will report back.

Sebastian Cobb

Elanor Tiernan is a free fringe regular. She is amazing.

hummingofevil

Quote from: WestHill on April 21, 2019, 07:40:40 PM
This is my long list, which I'm whittling down to a five day run:

110% John Kearns and Pat Cahill 23:55 20/8/19 monkey barrel 4
Ben target 2pm@ hive 18-21 aug
Carl Donnelly 7:40 spiegelyurt
Dan soder 7:15 dairy room
Ian smith 5:15 buttercup bristo square
Jessie cave 6:30 assembly george square
Joe jacobs 4pm caves just tonic
Johnny white really really 9:30 black medicine
Liza treyger 10:25 underbelly bristo square buttercup
Lou Sanders 3:15 monkey barrell 3
Mat Ewins 9pmcaves just the tonic
Pat Cahill 3:15 monkey barrel 5
Phil wang 8pm pleasance courtyard
Sean morley 3:20 the hivenot 21st
Seymour Mace 1:30 the stand 3
Stuart goldsmith 3pm monkey barrel 4
Stuart Laws 12:20 Monkey barrel 1
Tony Law 12:15 Monkey Barrel 3
Zoe Coombs Marr 7:30 Monkey Barrel 4
Trevor Lock
George Fouracres Pleasance Courtyard
Alun Cochrane 13:25 pleasance courtyard
Rob Auton 2:50 assembly george square
John luke roberts 5:30 or 23:30 assembly grorge square
Tom Parry 6pm pleasance
Rousin and chiara 6:20 the hive - not 20th
Sarah Kendall 7pm assembly George square
Jordan brookes 21:30 pleasance
Police cops 21:20 Assembly George square
John Kearns monkey barrel
Michael Brunstrom
Max and ivan 8:20 pleasance dome
The death hilarious
Kiri pritchard mclean
Emma sidi
Lucy Pearman monkey barrel

Would be really grateful for any theatre recommendations.

I saw Emma Sidi last week and she's really funny.

To add to your list

Ed Aczel
John Hastings
John-Luke Roberts Terrible Wonderful Adaptations
Like Rollason's Infinite Content
Moon
Nath Valvo
Olga Koch
Paul Currie
Phil Ellis
Rob Kemp - Moonraker 2
Rosie Jones
Sara Barron
Sarah Kendall
Sarah Keyworth
Suzi Ruffell
Tom Ballard
Tony Law and Phil Nicol

WestHill

Great thanks!

All welcome additions to the list.

hummingofevil

BTW does anyone actually know who Phil Nicol's wife cheated on him with? In his break up show a few years ago which ended with us walking around the new Town singing songs then being guests at his cabaret he said it was "a friend of his... a long haired, bearded Canadian comic". Unless it's someone I don't know the obvious potential culprits were Craig Campbell, Tony Law and Glenn Wool. But now I'm guessing it's not Tone Zone.

CaledonianGonzo

Are Lucy Pearman and John Kearns playing but still to announce?

CaledonianGonzo

Ah cool. Not on sale yet for some reason.

WestHill

Going by the venue's tweets, I think they, along with others including Luke McQueen, will go up May 16th.