Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2019

Started by Malcy, January 31, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

Sweet. Cheers. Plenty of cracking options to look forward to.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what Moon come up with this year.  They were gipped out of a Best Newcomer nomination last year.

DrGreggles

Just a heads up that 2 of Stewart Lee's dates have already sold out on the Fringe site, so it might be worth booking ASAP.

DrGreggles

No takers in the late slot at Stand 1 for the non-weekends of the final 2 weeks of the festival.
Kitson?

CaledonianGonzo

While a run at The Stand doing some late night fucking about seems likely, a morning run of Keep at the Traverse would be appreciated for those of us who remember sfa about the previews.

DrGreggles

Keep isn't a theatre show though.
Although he might have written one of those by then, the prolific bastard.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 22, 2019, 12:11:54 AM
Rob Kemp - Moonraker 2

I'm hoping to go and see a preview of that soon, I loved The Elvis Dead but am intrigued to see what his stand up will be like.

God I wish I was going to Edinburgh this year. I'm seeing a lot of previews but they're not the finished thing so it's not quite the same. I could plausibly afford it by August too but by then all the even vaguely cheap accommodation will be long gone.

Malcy

Fags, Mags & Bags will be doing a show every night of the Fringe. Not sure where though.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 24, 2019, 07:22:51 PM
Keep isn't a theatre show though.
Although he might have written one of those by then, the prolific bastard.

I thought it was still a narrative / conceptual dealio rather than more straightforward stand-up. Not a play but of a piece with things like After The Beginning, Before The End.

That said, it all blurs into one eventually.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 24, 2019, 07:30:00 PM
I'm hoping to go and see a preview of that soon, I loved The Elvis Dead but am intrigued to see what his stand up will be like.

God I wish I was going to Edinburgh this year. I'm seeing a lot of previews but they're not the finished thing so it's not quite the same. I could plausibly afford it by August too but by then all the even vaguely cheap accommodation will be long gone.

Have you considered trying to get somewhere in Glasgow for accommodation? Last year i got a return to Edinburgh for about £12 so if you could save on the cost of a hotel or whatever enough to make the train journey money & a bit extra and be willing to do the back and forth it could be worth it. We should all chip in for a CaB house in Edinburgh every year!

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 24, 2019, 07:36:34 PM
I thought it was still a narrative / conceptual dealio rather than more straightforward stand-up. Not a play but of a piece with things like After The Beginning, Before The End.

That said, it all blurs into one eventually.

Maybe it is. I only saw it as a WiP stand up show.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Malcy on April 24, 2019, 07:38:33 PM
Have you considered trying to get somewhere in Glasgow for accommodation? Last year i got a return to Edinburgh for about £12 so if you could save on the cost of a hotel or whatever enough to make the train journey money & a bit extra and be willing to do the back and forth it could be worth it. We should all chip in for a CaB house in Edinburgh every year!

It's not a bad idea but I'm not sure I'd be that fond of up to two hours worth of travelling on the train each day, plus I like some of the late night gigs and wouldn't be able to attend them. I do have a friend who lives there but I haven't seen her in ten years (since the last time I went to the festival and crashed there for a few days) so it's probably unlikely. Still, I might start being over friendly on facebook for the next few months in the hope I could stay there again, though the idea of a CaB house sounds much more enticing!

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: WestHill on April 21, 2019, 07:40:40 PM
George Fouracres Pleasance Courtyard

Ooh - I'd missed this.  Anyone seem him as a solo performer?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 24, 2019, 10:03:45 PM
It's not a bad idea but I'm not sure I'd be that fond of up to two hours worth of travelling on the train each day, plus I like some of the late night gigs and wouldn't be able to attend them. I do have a friend who lives there but I haven't seen her in ten years (since the last time I went to the festival and crashed there for a few days) so it's probably unlikely. Still, I might start being over friendly on facebook for the next few months in the hope I could stay there again, though the idea of a CaB house sounds much more enticing!

Citilink run busses all through the night. Takes about as long as the train and is cheaper. At night it's darker, quieter and nicer than the train.

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 25, 2019, 07:05:11 PM
Citilink run busses all through the night. Takes about as long as the train and is cheaper. At night it's darker, quieter and nicer than the train.

Forgot about the bus. I'm sure it was £3/4 each way when I looked last year. Only reason I didn't get it was that it didn't get me back to Glasgow in time between my last gig and the last train home.

Malcy

Craig Ferguson doing his first UK stand up show in 25 years on the 11th at the Playhouse.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/live/news/5276/craig_ferguson_uk_date/

zomgmouse

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 24, 2019, 07:54:24 PM
Maybe it is. I only saw it as a WiP stand up show.

I saw that as well but it's massively evolved since then and is now very much in quasi-theatre territory.

WestHill

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 25, 2019, 05:02:24 PM
Ooh - I'd missed this.  Anyone seem him as a solo performer?

Not me, but I'll probably go off the strength of his performance in Daphne.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: WestHill on April 27, 2019, 07:25:12 AM
Not me, but I'll probably go off the strength of his performance in Daphne.

Why I was interested. On the basis of those two shows I'd rank him as one of the strongest comedy actors on the circuit.  Definitely worth a punt on the first weekend.

DrGreggles

Spencer Jones has just announced a preview at the Junction!
https://www.junction.co.uk/spencer-jones

Seagullsim

Ed Gamble's confirmed he's taking a year off this time (first in 9 years apparently - didn't realise he'd been going that long).

Still waiting on any news on the following acts before I start to think about planning my schedule...

Sara Pascoe   
Ashley Storrie
Lucy Pearman   
Abandoman
Stephen Bailey   
Phill Jupitus   
Aisling Bea   
Jimmy McGhie
Bridget Christie
Matt Forde   
Birthday Girls

Malcy

I got excited and thought the lovely Asking Bea was playing and I had missed the listing! I'd love to see/marry her.

I'm going to book my Russel T Davies ticket this weekend. It's only one night and I don't want to miss it. Looking at having 12 shows I want to see this year.

Hoping Anna Morris is doing something again. She was fantastic last year doing 4 of her characters from previous shows.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Malcy on May 03, 2019, 11:12:16 PM
I got excited and thought the lovely Asking Bea was playing and I had missed the listing! I'd love to see/marry her.

Bit weird, mate.

A little bit of sex with her would be great though.
She'd probably disagree.

Malcy

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 03, 2019, 11:21:16 PM
Bit weird, mate.

A little bit of sex with her would be great though.
She'd probably disagree.

Every reply I've tried to type to this has came out weird...

Nope still can't think of anything that seems normal. Fuck it.

Seagullsim

Quote from: Malcy on May 03, 2019, 11:12:16 PM

I'm going to book my Russel T Davies ticket this weekend. It's only one night and I don't want to miss it. Looking at having 12 shows I want to see this year.

Hoping Anna Morris is doing something again. She was fantastic last year doing 4 of her characters from previous shows.

I think she's doing something at Mach Fest, so maybe it'll carry on to Edinburgh. I agree entirely - I had a lovely recurring dream with her and Sharon Horgan that i'd like to revisit....

Malcy

Quote from: Seagullsim on May 03, 2019, 11:32:15 PM
I think she's doing something at Mach Fest, so maybe it'll carry on to Edinburgh. I agree entirely - I had a lovely recurring dream with her and Sharon Horgan that i'd like to revisit....

Sharon Horgan wouldn't be my cup of tea but she could make them for me & Aisling!

Really looking forward to the Fringe this year. Was my first trip last year as I lived away for years. I only saw 3 shows and found even that a lot for one day so im going o try spread it out this year since there's a lot more I want to see.

Sin Agog

Aisling's proof that it's hard/impossible for some people's true personalities to break through the panel show format.  In actuality, she's extremely smart and conscientious and...thinky about stuff.  She's also the guest on Pappy's Beef Brothers pod this week in case you haven't heard it

Malcy

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 03, 2019, 11:41:45 PM
Aisling's proof that it's hard/impossible for some people's true personalities to break through the panel show format.  In actuality, she's extremely smart and conscientious and...thinky about stuff.  She's also the guest on Pappy's Beef Brothers pod this week in case you haven't heard it

Cheers for that. I'll have a listen. Yeah I've seen her in non comedy contexts and she comes across as very 'copped on' as the Irish would say.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 03, 2019, 11:41:45 PM
She's also the guest on Pappy's Beef Brothers pod this week in case you haven't heard it

And she's great on it. Not enough podcasts give the guests space to just be silly, but PBB does.

CaledonianGonzo

Bridget Christie just seems to have knocked it on the head. It must be 3 years since she's done a Stand morning show.

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 04, 2019, 04:11:52 PM
Bridget Christie just seems to have knocked it on the head. It must be 3 years since she's done a Stand morning show.

She's usually there the same years as Stew, so who knows.