Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:52:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2019

Started by Malcy, January 31, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Eddie Izzard announced three work in progress shows at Gilded Balloon.
The show lasts an hour.
The ticket price is 25 pounds.

Is it me or is that a ridiculous price?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Timothy on July 03, 2019, 10:05:41 AM
Eddie Izzard announced three work in progress shows at Gilded Balloon.
The show lasts an hour.
The ticket price is 25 pounds.

Is it me or is that a ridiculous price?

Isn't he already doing 90 minute WiPs for less than that?

DrGreggles

Just looked. They're previews of his new show, rather than WiPs.
£25 for an hour is a lot, but the full show is probably £40 for 90 minutes.

JCR

The top price for his festival theatre shows in October were £46.50.

M McIntyre got heat for doing two shows in August described as work in progress for £40 at the playhouse, the terms and conditions actually said he might read from notes. Lee Evans did similar if I recall correctly.

£25 for that seems expensive but I thought Rhod Gilbert charging £23.50 no concessions was more eye opening- everything has got more expensive this year.

bgmnts

DrGreggles

I asked Fringe customer services about the PWYW shows, and what buying a ticket entitles you to.
The response was that it just guarantees a seat - you're still expected to pay at the end.

Seems odd that these tickets that are essentially just seen as seat reservations vary in price depending on the performer - y'know like normal tickets do.
So, unless it's a show that's might sell out, there's no benefit whatsoever in buying a ticket.

PWYW? More like FOYC!

JCR

I've heard Glenn Wool pointedly explain that before. But yeah, I think they sometimes do a bad job of explaining that, when you see established performers the PWYW shows definitely aren't free and you might get yelled at if you walk out without blessing the bucket.

Timothy

Last year all PWYW shows were 5 pounds so that made sense. But this year all prices went up and you pay a different price if you go on a weekday or weekend.

So according to the Fringe, to reserve a seat for Zoe Coombs Marr for example, you pay 10 pounds a ticket on a Saturday and you have to put money in the bucket afterwards? That cant be right.

zomgmouse

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 03, 2019, 04:09:15 PM
I asked Fringe customer services about the PWYW shows, and what buying a ticket entitles you to.
The response was that it just guarantees a seat - you're still expected to pay at the end.

Seems odd that these tickets that are essentially just seen as seat reservations vary in price depending on the performer - y'know like normal tickets do.
So, unless it's a show that's might sell out, there's no benefit whatsoever in buying a ticket.

PWYW? More like FOYC!

Really? I went to plenty of PWYW shows where the performers said "if you bought a ticket thank you if you didn't then please leave some money in the bucket" or something to that effect.

DrGreggles

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 04, 2019, 07:01:55 AM
Really? I went to plenty of PWYW shows where the performers said "if you bought a ticket thank you if you didn't then please leave some money in the bucket" or something to that effect.

I asked specifically because of the varying ticket prices this year. They obviously can't make you pay anything, but you're "expected" to pay.

John Kearns, for example, is £9. But, if you look at the 'Warnings and additional info' section on the Fringe website it says "Buy a ticket in advance to guarantee entry or Pay What You Want at the venue".

If I'm paying £9 for a seat, then that's how much it costs to see the show. If they "expect" you to put money in the bucket at the end too, why are they increasing the prices?

Timothy

I think Fringe customer service made an error.

It cant be that they expect us to buy a ticket for a tenner and put money in the bucket afterwards.

zomgmouse

Maybe it's just that you're "encouraged" to put something in the bucket in addition to the ticket you've purchased?

Quisby

Definitely Lucy Pearman and Rob Kemp last year, and I'm pretty sure a couple of other shows I went to (all at Monkey Barrel I think), stated at the end of their shows that if you'd bought a ticket there was no obligation to put money in the bucket.

Quisby

Re: my jury duty citation during the festival -  I have dealt with this in my characteristic way by ignoring it and hoping it will go away or someone/something will magically appear and sort it out for me.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Timothy on July 04, 2019, 07:45:03 AM

It cant be that they expect us to buy a ticket for a tenner and put money in the bucket afterwards.

It wasn't an error.
They went on to explain at great length about how expensive it is for performers* at the Edinburgh Fringe and why this model benefits them.

No response as yet to my enquiry about why they get charged so much to hire the rooms in the first place...

*of course, it's cheap as fuck for us punters!

Think I'll just stick to my tried-and-tested method of paying the ticket price and sticking an extra fiver in at the end if it was worth that much.

Timothy

It just doesnt make much sense to me.

Most shows at the Stand are 8 to 10 pounds.
PWYW was 5 pounds to reserve a seat and the bucket speech.

Now a lot of PWYW shows are 8 to 10 pounds AND the bucket speech. So essentially you pay more for a PWYW show then you do for shows at the Stand or the Big Four.

DrGreggles

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on July 04, 2019, 12:34:16 PM
Think I'll just stick to my tried-and-tested method of paying the ticket price and sticking an extra fiver in at the end if it was worth that much.

I'm guessing that's what a lot of people do, which is why they're increasing the price of booking ahead.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Timothy on July 04, 2019, 12:48:22 PM
I always thought the PWYW and Free Fringe deal meant that the performers dont have to hire the rooms.

PWYW and free Fringe are great but I dont really get the idea of charging the same ticket prices as other venues just to reserve a seat. Paying a tenner to reserve your seat and pay more afterwards while most shows at the Stand for example are 8 or 9 pounds doesnt make much sense to me.

I was referring to the Fringe venues in general, which is why PWYW and Free Fringe exist.

Timothy

Yeah I just realised my comment made no sense so edited it. :-)

JCR

Quote from: Timothy on July 04, 2019, 07:45:03 AM

As mentioned I've heard Glenn Wool say the ticket is just to reserve a seat, and he wanted money from everyone regardless of whether they had a ticket. I think few performers would have the chutzpah to actually say it, but Wool didn't get heckled when he made clear he wanted paid.

DrGreggles

I don't begrudge the performers getting paid, obviously, but they seem to be exploiting the PWYW model - or at least trying to.
And by 'they' I mean the organisers more than the artists.

hummingofevil

I haven't had chance to check so is it a increase of the £5 ticket across the board or just the weekend shows for the likely more popular acts. If it is the latter than that fine but to a blanket increase would definitely affect how I "do" Edinburgh.

The problem with that model (that has been overwhelmingly a brilliant and positive thing for Edinburgh) is that they haven't worked out how to solve the problem of those of us who buy tickets and/or stick in bucket - as above I never give less than a fiver and often stick in more - and those who take the piss and give nowt. Brendon Burns (or was it Gittins) had a good idea where the next act does the bucket rather than the performer - firstly, its a bit of promotion to encourage people to stay and secondly, a third party act can be more forward in demanding money from fellow punters - "Come on I watched that it was great - stick a tenner in".

TBF last year loads of these shows were packed everynight so would be surprised if a price increase hugely reduced the size of crowds but wonder if there is risk that the more establish acts at likes of Monkey Barrel will continue to sell out and make decent money but less established acts might suffer if people haven't got enough cash to take a punt.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: JCR on June 16, 2019, 03:34:53 PM
John Cleese will have a fit that one of them has put his and C. Booth's names on the poster.

Seems to be officially authorised.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 04, 2019, 10:55:43 PM
. Brendon Burns (or was it Gittins) had a good idea where the next act does the bucket rather than the performer - firstly, its a bit of promotion to encourage people to stay and secondly, a third party act can be more forward in demanding money from fellow punters - "Come on I watched that it was great - stick a tenner in".

In principle, that is a nice idea but unless you're a seasoned old pro stand up comedian, I can't imagine many performers on next would want to do that while they're while getting into the mindset of their own show. It's not like a stand-up comedy club with one comic going on after another with their twenty-minute spots... The turn might even have to prepare props/ set in the short turnaround too and almost certainly wouldn't be watching the hour-long show before their own more than once, if at all.

Small Man Big Horse

Jesus, I read that as RIP at first!

Timothy

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 09, 2019, 08:46:58 PM
Tim Key WIP:

https://www.pleasance.co.uk/event/tim-key-work-progress-0/performances

Wanted to book online.... but since when does Pleasance have a 4 pound booking fee?
Might buy them at the Dome when I'm in Edinburgh instead to save some money.