Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:32:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2019

Started by Malcy, January 31, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Timothy on July 09, 2019, 09:32:33 PM
Wanted to book online.... but since when does Pleasance have a 4 pound booking fee?
Might buy them at the Dome when I'm in Edinburgh instead to save some money.

It's £1 per ticket up to £5, I think.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 09, 2019, 07:56:01 AM
In principle, that is a nice idea but unless you're a seasoned old pro stand up comedian, I can't imagine many performers on next would want to do that while they're while getting into the mindset of their own show. It's not like a stand-up comedy club with one comic going on after another with their twenty-minute spots... The turn might even have to prepare props/ set in the short turnaround too and almost certainly wouldn't be watching the hour-long show before their own more than once, if at all.

Fair point. I can't remember the guys name but he was a slightly older, gay US or Canadian comic who I think lives here and does the club circuit. He is pretty good but, like Burns, is someone who is so schooled in the game that can just rock up on stage and nail a 3 star show every time (that is a compliment). I'm sure Lucy Pearman or Luke Rollason might find it a bit more tricky (literally getting into character never mind any zen-like Stanslaski shit). :)

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Timothy on July 09, 2019, 09:32:33 PM
Wanted to book online.... but since when does Pleasance have a 4 pound booking fee?
Might buy them at the Dome when I'm in Edinburgh instead to save some money.

It's in quite a small room so I dunno if I'd hang around that long.

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 10, 2019, 05:41:07 AM
It's in quite a small room so I dunno if I'd hang around that long.

He was playing The Grand last year. Probably not selling out, but not far off it.
I'd guess that he'll sell out a 100 seater pretty quickly.

Timothy

Just bought them!
Had added two tickets for the Newcomer gala a few weeks ago and was quite tired yesterday so didnt saw them. Explains the higher booking fee.

WestHill

Added Phil Cornwell to the list after hearing him on Two Vegan Idiots:

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/phil-cornwell-alackadaddy

Vet comic actor. Anyone seen him live?

WestHill

Is it too risky booking back to back shows at the pleasance - say 3:30, then 4:30 - or are there usually margins built in between shows?

Thinking of seeing Giants directly after George Fouracres.

Timothy

Quote from: WestHill on July 14, 2019, 10:37:57 AM
Is it too risky booking back to back shows at the pleasance - say 3:30, then 4:30 - or are there usually margins built in between shows?

Thinking of seeing Giants directly after George Fouracres.

Almost 99% not possible. Fouracres ends at the same time Giants begins. With get out and everything you are probably either just in time or too late. Wouldn't risk it.

CaledonianGonzo

Yeah, not really worth it.  I'd always try to leave half an hour between shows, even in the same venue.

JCR

BBC application results been emailed out.

DrGreggles

Bloody Kitson...

QuoteCoooooeeee.

So, everybody.

look, listen, look.

With almost complete inevitability, I am actually going to do be doing some shows at the Edinburgh Fringe. I'm sorry about the late announcement of this. I've had stuff on and also, I'm slotting into a couple of relatively last-minute gaps at The Stand (5pm) and Paines Plough Roundabout at Summerhall (10.35pm) and its all come together late in the day.  It's not a deliberate, tactical bid to appear like a naughty rebel doing his own thing outside the auspices of the Fringe and playing by his own dangerous rules.

That appearance is just a happy by-product of actually being a naughty rebel doing his own thing outside the auspices of the Fringe and playing by his own dangerous rules.

The one at the stand is likely, but not definitely, going to be more stand up based and the one at Roundabout is likely, But. Not. Definitely. Going to be more theatrical in nature. There may be some stuff from the recent Regents Park show in Either, Neither or Both of these shows and I imagine I'll be muddying the boundaries of genre with text book audacity, knowing me.

If you are furious that you've either already filled a spreadsheet with shows and have no room for this or that you've already booked your accommodation and aren't up there on a date that I'm performing – then firstly, obviously, please accept my heartfelt apologies for not being more on top of things. And, secondly, SETTLE DOWN DANORACKS – neither of these shows will be worth feeling sad about missing. Your time will likely be better spent wherever you already plan to be at that time. I've deliberately not called them work in progress shows because they will almost certainly not lead to anything and therefore do not warrant the implications of honourable toil and eventual completion bestowed by that description.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

Here are the details. 

Firstly, the show at the Roundabout is called Shenanigan. It's on at 10.35 pm. From the 4th to the 18th of August (not Tuesdays or Fridays) and will be between 60 and 90 minutes long.
Here's the blurb.

Shenanigan.

On most Tuesdays, I go to a café before football for lunch with my friends Tim and Isy. Last week, the café had a really appealing special on the board which involved roasted cauliflower, pickled cabbage and babaganoush. The lady behind the counter referred to it as "The Shenanigan".

Which I very much enjoyed.

This show will have absolutely nothing to do with that meal, that lady, that café, those friends, playing football or Tuesdays but I have to call it something otherwise they can't put it in the system.

Something new, vaguely experimental, unfinished and frankly, quite unlikely to ever be finished, by Daniel Kitson.

Tickets are 8 pounds and go on sale today, July 17th, at 3pm at this link.

https://festival19.summerhall.co.uk/event/daniel-kitson-shenanigan/

The link will not work before 3pm. 

The show at the Stand, is called Everything Smells of Orange, It's on at 5pm. From the 5th to the 25th of August. (Not Tuesdays) and will be 60 minutes long.
Here is the blurb for that one. Such as it is.

Everything Smells of Orange.

Daniel Kitson, having not made anything unequivocally good for years and years and years, now displays a charmless lack of respect for a tolerant if dwindling audience, a supportive venue and, actually, the greatest arts festival in the world, by filling a slot at the last minute, doing very little work, making no discernible progress and charging everyone five pounds to watch.

All tickets are 5 pounds.

The stand will hold 15-20 tickets back for sale on the door on the day of the show, please contact them for details on how that'll happen.

The rest of the tickets will go on sale today, July 17th, at noon at the following link.

www.thestand.co.uk/shows/871-daniel-kitson-everything-smells-of-orange/

The link will not work before noon.

And that's that for now

All the best.

Stay cool.

And.

GOODBYE FOREVER.

Daniel

Timothy

Just got mine for the last date.

Thanks for the heads up DrGreggles!

CaledonianGonzo

DrGreggles

Timothy

Now to wait and hope I can get Shenigan tickets. Love his theatre shows and Roundabout is a great venue.

Prebooked tickets for Kitson, Tim Crouch, Spencer Jones, Richard Gadd, Stewart Lee, Frank Skinner and Tim Key. Great list so far.

CaledonianGonzo

Anyone had a confirmation email yet?

Timothy

Yeah immediately after booking.

Sebastian Cobb

Got the 26th (I've got Stewart Lee on the 10th and this is shaping up to be my 'main day', so will try and get shenanegans for then, didn't want to see him twice in one day if I could help it).

Although in my haste chrome autofilled a slightly odd email address (I used the gmail trick of appending +someretailer) which the signup sheet rejected so fuck knows if I'll get a confirmation.

Timothy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 17, 2019, 12:01:06 PM
Got the 26th (I've got Stewart Lee on the 10th and this is shaping up to be my 'main day', so will try and get shenanegans for then, didn't want to see him twice in one day if I could help it).

Although in my haste chrome autofilled a slightly odd email address (I used the gmail trick of appending +someretailer) which the signup sheet rejected so fuck knows if I'll get a confirmation.

The 26th? He isn't performing then. Don't you mean the 16th or the 25th?

Sebastian Cobb

I meant the 24th, the Saturday.

Blue Jam

11th for me too! Cheers Dr Greggles!

DrGreggles

Blue Jam

I'm sure that can be arranged. Dr Beat will be there too!

Timothy

Possibly quite an interesting read for regular Fringe visitors:
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/07/17/43610/fans_anger_over_fraud_of_tape_face_stand-in.

Saw him years ago in a Best of the Fest show at a small venue. How time flies.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Timothy on July 17, 2019, 01:14:09 PM
Possibly quite an interesting read for regular Fringe visitors:
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/07/17/43610/fans_anger_over_fraud_of_tape_face_stand-in.

It's a weird one to define.
Stand-ins are a regular occurrence in theatre productions (which is presumably what this is), so I suppose the argument is that you're paying to see the performance rather than the performer - unless it's specifically advertised as 'starring Sam Wills'.

Sebastian Cobb

Bagged the summerhall showing as well.

After wanting to see kitson for a while and missing out I'm pretty chuffed.

Timothy