Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2019

Started by Malcy, January 31, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Also I really should exercise forethought and register to these fucking sites beforehand. Frantically trying get signed up and getting knocked back for validation errors (lastpass generating too long passwords etc) is stressful.

JCR

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 17, 2019, 01:25:01 PM
It's a weird one to define.
Stand-ins are a regular occurrence in theatre productions (which is presumably what this is), so I suppose the argument is that you're paying to see the performance rather than the performer - unless it's specifically advertised as 'starring Sam Wills'.

Weird in that if you've seen him once I wouldn't have thought he'd have much repeat viewing value, but fair play to him.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 17, 2019, 01:25:01 PM
It's a weird one to define.
Stand-ins are a regular occurrence in theatre productions (which is presumably what this is), so I suppose the argument is that you're paying to see the performance rather than the performer - unless it's specifically advertised as 'starring Sam Wills'.

Apparently the poster says "'As seen on America's Got Talent" and if that's not the case I think it's taking the piss a bit.

I saw him about a decade ago in front of 50 people and he got me on stage for a bit, I was fairly fond of the act but I didn't think it was that special and haven't changed my feelings about it since, for him to want to transform it in to a franchise really is a tad bizarre.

bobloblaw

anyone going to/heard good things about Courtney Pauroso's show?
From the Doc Brown/Nate stable so assuming it'll be worth a pop?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 17, 2019, 03:25:20 PM
for him to want to transform it in to a franchise really is a tad bizarre.

Or exceptionally canny. If he pulls it off he'll be quids in.  I do actually buy his argument that the man behind the tape is, theoretically, immaterial to the show itself.

CaledonianGonzo

Anyway, thank fuck Kitson's now sorted so I can actually buy the rest of my tickets.   And at fairly respectable times of day too.

hummingofevil

Well that is the first time in 8 years I've missed out on Kitson tickets. Boo. I am around on the 8th and probably the 9th if anyone has a spare. I've always been quite good with the queue if need be but giz shout. Other dates considered.

CaledonianGonzo

Summerhall seems still to be on sale for 17th and 18th. Maybe because they weren't put on sale earlier.

Timothy

I mighttt have one spare ticket for the Roundabout show on the 7th but I don't know for sure until the last week of July / first week of August.
I'll keep you updated.

Sebastian Cobb

Right finally piecing things together. White = not booked as it's a collision.

I might spin (some) of the collisions into another Sunday. Suggestions also welcome as to anything I could catch earlier in the day on the 24th.

Small Man Big Horse

I'd recommend seeing Michael Brunstrom if you get the chance, I've seen 18 Edinburgh previews so far this year and he's my favourite out of all of them.

DrGreggles

Another 6  show!

There's already about 10 shows I want to see at 6 pm, and I'm only there for 6 pm x 6!

zomgmouse

Josh Ladgrove is dropping his Dr Professor Neal Portenza persona to do a seminar on selling bilge pumps and the show is really spectacular. It won the best independent show here in Melbourne. Please see it if you can!

CaledonianGonzo

Speaking of visiting Antipodeans - and in the absence of a Barry Award Winner hitting these shores - this looks like it could be a late night winner:

Demi Lardner and Tom Walker: We Musn't

https://www.edfringe.com/event/2019DEMILAS_BRS

DrGreggles

CaledonianGonzo

Glad we didn't kick off this week / weekend.

Timothy

Any news on the Lothian bus strike?

Timothy

By the way, whats up with all those warnings this year? I received eleven (!) mails from customer services telling me there has been stuff added to the show warnings, ranging from audience participation and distressing themes. I dont need excessive warnings about everything. Cant imagine why everything need to be spilled out before the show.

DrGreggles

I've received no such emails, but I haven't been buying from the edfringe site - just the venues.

Audience participation can fuck off anyway.

CaledonianGonzo

Not had any this year but I got one last year for Nate.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: bobloblaw on July 17, 2019, 04:30:08 PM
anyone going to/heard good things about Courtney Pauroso's show?
From the Doc Brown/Nate stable so assuming it'll be worth a pop?

Starting to see her name crop up in a number of places. Now on the list.

slempike

Hello from a a mostly lurker -  I double-booked myself and have a spare ticket for Kiri Pritchard-McLean on Thursday (1st) if anyone would like it. Free to any sort of home at all, I can hand over the ticket at the venue (Monkey Barrel) prior to the show.

CaledonianGonzo

Wil Greenaway - Gentle comic storytelling whimsy that gradually resolves into something more poignant and punchy. Won't be for everyone and its charms are subtle but its heart is in the right place and there are enough wry smiles to - just about - keep it in the comedy section of the programme.  And different enough to the storytelling shows of yer other man that it's not too derivative.

DrGreggles

Right, I'm fully booked up now.
Kitson, Lee, Ewins, Deering, Roberts, Law, Pritchard-McLean, Goldsmith, Kearns, Parry, Hess, Skinner, Izzard, Legge, Mace, Munnery, Helm, & Ivan, Nicoresli, Fleming, Revell, Ellis, Evans, Brookes, Key, Sausage, Fouracre, Jones, Riches, Moon, Cops, Rouse, Lock and Limmy - THAT MEANS YOU!

CaledonianGonzo

Sarah Kendall – Back after a year off, this is an attempt to re-assess the storytelling she's excelled in for the last 4 or 5 years and to question the validity of stories as a tool to decode the world in a world gone goddamn bananas.  She's still learning the script, but it seems complete as it is – there's no big twist or reveal, but a satisfying ending as the various ideas click into place.  Ultimately it's more of a collection of bits bolted onto the theme than a grand narrative, but there's no doubting her dead-on comic instincts or her genuinely excellent chops as a performer.  Back in the same lousy room, which made for a bit of a weird vibe.

Demi Lardner – Speaking of collections of bits.  A disappointingly short 45 mins or so of bits, most of which range from funny to very funny.  So not short of laughs, and granted it's a preview, but one could be forgiven for finding it a bit undercooked.  After Melbourne was hoping it would be a bit more disciplined and consistent - the show to accelerate her up to the next level - cos all the right ingredients are there for her to do one of those brilliant demented hours, packed with jokes, that can become one's favourite show of the year.  She'll do it someday - and it might even be in a couple of weeks.