Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:44:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2019

Started by Malcy, January 31, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Hey. Maybe. What time is it on please? I'm in show now but will check back.

—-

Busy day.

Just asked and the Monkey Barrel 345 is going to be a crazy golf.

Luke Rollason - loves last year's show and loved this. He is such a likeable performer. It get a bit messy about 2/3rds way in but overall it is great silly fun.

Amy Matthews - 30min stand up. Not really for me I'm afraid.

Ben Target - overall i liked it but it the vibe is so laid back I can see how some people could get very bored. Almost zen-like at time and I assume his claim there is a free structure to the show is accurate. I enjoyed the 50 mins but would recommend it with big caveats.

Sean Morley - this is excellent. Sean's calm manner always shines through but in bits this can be as manic and anarchic as anything else the fringe has to offer. Really loved it.

Privates - Luke Rollason's other show is about sperms. It is very high energy, very silly and lots of big laughs throughout from packed room. Highlights as with his other stuff is when the physical stuff really gets a chance to shine through. All his stuff is a must see for me. Lucy Pearman vibes is probably closest comparison but even then it is really quite different in style.

hummingofevil

Zoé Coombes Marr - I liked this overall but it ran a bit long and for me the aspects of the show that make it run long are also it's strength. I like the trickery stuff but felt that if it could all be a little more condensed (though there is so much STUFF in it I can't quite work out what I mean) it could be very good.

Tom Ballard - I loved Tom Ballard last time he was over and this did not disappoint. I laughed from start to finish. He is a very, very funny man with a mic. My girlfriend, who is not so easily enthusiastic about shows thinks he is the best. Go see.

hummingofevil

Catherine Cohen - a good way to end the day (though my ever enduring hatred of literally everything to do with Pleasance continues to endure). It suffered for me as the obvious comparison was with Kate Berlant and I loved that show so much so this was always going to be not-quite-as-good. That said her voice really is excellent, she got a lot out of her dancing and the talking comedy, whilst a bit repetitive never once lost me. I actually really liked the poetry section.

Good stuff so thanks for pointing her out.

machotrouts

EDINBURGH FRINGE 2019 SHOWS I'VE SEEN SO FAR PART 4

Jordan Brookes: I've Got Nothing. Jordan Brookes at his least ambitious might still be the funniest person at the Fringe. No big show-defining gimmick like the headphones in Bleed this time, and I don't use "gimmick" disparagingly. It was a brilliant gimmick! I hope he's plenty more gimmicks to come. But I also thoroughly enjoy being in his company as he dicks around for an hour, and there's plenty more to it than that anyway. He still finds ways to surprise and disturb the audience, and this still has a clearer throughline than a lot of shows I've seen that don't basically apologise for themselves in the title. My favourite of 2019 so far.

Moon: We Cannot Get Out. "Grotty" sketch comedy duo, and one of three shows at this year's Fringe directed by Jordan Brookes (the others being Sunil Patel and David McIvor, both of whom I hope to see). I don't know what directing entails, to be honest, might just mean he's going "the lights should go on at this point mate", but it felt like something Jordan Brookes would be involved in, and that's what's important.

I assumed the weird slightly abrupt end was part of the show – certainly it had to be somewhat rehearsed – but then I thought "gee, that hour went by fast!", checked my phone, and it was 45 minutes past the start time. Did something genuinely go awry? Can't be sure when your show is ostensibly about things going awry. Boys who cried wolf.

Glenn Moore: Love Don't Live Here Glenny Moore. I don't think he's popular on here – I remember the reaction when he got nominated for the Edinburgh Comedy Award last year just being that_guy_from_arrested_development_saying_her.gif – but I can't pass up on somebody with as high a gag rate as this. Bang for your buck. It's like being shot to death with a machine gun, but the machine gun fires comedy, and death is the state of having enjoyed comedy.

Spencer Jones: The Things We Leave Behind. The blurb calls what he does "turbo clowning", which I don't get at all – this seems like a very languid sort of clowning. He basically wanders around a room full of props nattering about his kids, occasionally stopping to pick something up and go "guhaww... weird innit". A legitimate style of comedy, but "turbo" it isn't. Closest he gets are his little 2-minute moments of madness where he launches into one of his looper songs – all of which I love. I think I'm very easily impressed by loopers. I can't remember ever having not enjoyed a looper, in any context. Is "loopers" what they're called, well it's too late to check now.

I didn't really get to see the last 5 minutes because I was on stage with him wearing a mask of an arse. Everyone seemed to laugh when I made any sort of movement, so I suppose I was the last 5 minutes of the show.

Chris Parker: Camp Binch. You get the gist. When he came on stage singing a cod-Broadway musical number, I sat there thinking "oh no, it's Neil Patrick Harris", which is frankly very homophobic and problematic of me.

Thankfully this isn't representative of the rest of the show, which he spends mostly recounting his childhood. Feels high-energy but low-material – he doesn't have much of a story to tell for what seems to be basically a storytelling show, but he bounds around enough telling it that you might just not notice. He's a great physical presence but I think I'd rather see him in a sketch troupe or something.

Sarah Keyworth: Pacific. Catherine Bohart's girlfriend. I somehow got it in my head beforehand that she'd be an imposing and stern figure – she sort of looks it on her posters – which is funny because after watching her, my main impression is "aw, she's cute, isn't she". She's masculine, but in as much as she looks like a 13-year-old boy – she repeatedly ironically refers to herself as a "big boy" – with the social commentary about gender I expected mixed in with self-deprecating material about how she's hopeless and dumb and messy and a dog and all of that sort of thing. I'm sure she's more capable than she makes out but I do also want to adopt her.

Catherine Bohart: Lemon. Sarah Keyworth's girlfriend. I mainly booked Bohart to see how she'd compare to her charming boy wife, and ended up liking her better. Chirpier than I expected – again, she looked a bit dour on the posters – and a great fast-paced delivery. What is it with me just assuming lesbians are going to be stern. I mean it's not a problem for me obviously because I'm booking tickets for them with that as a point of appeal but still. machotrouts: homophobe. Oh no I just remembered she isn't even lesbian she's bisexual. machotrouts: bisexual eraser

Sam See: Coming Out Loud. Singaporean homosexual tries to mine comedy from the resistance he's faced touring as an openly gay comedian in Asian and Middle Eastern countries. Upsettingly, this gig might add to his material – half an hour into his not-particularly-outrageous material (I mean, I think there was 1 fisting joke, but that's got to be below the Fringe average), a man at the back stood up, barked "I FIND YOU OBJECTIONABLE", and then stormed out – and by "then", I mean "after 5 minutes of loudly arguing with his wife while Sam See tried to continue his set,".

Surely the sweetest comedian I'll see this Fringe, Sam See tried to earnestly engage with, and accept critique from, the that-picture-of-9-fingerwagging-red-faced-men-on-Question-Time-looking-ass old bastard, and even dissuaded the otherwise very on-side audience from shouting "AWW, GO WAY" back at the man. "No, this isn't Singapore! We have free speech here!"

There's a big sheet of paper outside where you can leave your thoughts on the show, all covered in things like "LOVED IT! XXX". I thought it would be funny to allude to the incident and write "NOT OBJECTIONABLE". Didn't consider until I left how that just makes it look like someone had a really mediocre time and unaccountably felt the need to leave that statement right by the door to his show for all future Fringegoers to see. Not the time or place for in-jokes you twat. machotrouts: menace to the gays.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 09, 2019, 08:55:16 PM
Hey. Maybe. What time is it on please? I'm in show now but will check back.

—-

j

19.10 so in about 12 hours! What am I doing up at this time?!

hummingofevil

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 03, 2019, 04:46:49 PM
Keeping a tally, but that is now 3 comedians in 24 hours I've seen go guns blazing at Louis CK.

Zoe Coombs Marr claimed to be the "only woman on the circuit doing polycystic ovaries material". I am up to three women in two days and counting.

Michael Legg has a LCK bit.

hummingofevil

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on August 10, 2019, 06:09:47 AM
j

19.10 so in about 12 hours! What am I doing up at this time?!

I'll DM you in a bit. I am going to work out my itinery for the day but pencil me in for them. Cheers.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 10, 2019, 08:37:02 AM
Zoe Coombs Marr claimed to be the "only woman on the circuit doing polycystic ovaries material". I am up to three women in two days and counting.

And Josie Long was doing it about a decade ago

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 10, 2019, 08:37:48 AM
I'll DM you in a bit. I am going to work out my itinery for the day but pencil me in for them. Cheers.

Cool and np.  It is good to help a CaBrother out.

timbuc

Hi folks

I have a couple of Kitson tickets for Friday 16 August. In an ideal world I'd like to swap them for four (OK, OK, two) tickets for Friday 23 August. There could be drinks and hugs (optional) for anyone who can make that happen.

Being a realist I appreciate this is unlikely so I'll probably end up giving them to the kindest and/or funniest person who wants them.

My favourite Edinburgh bit so far has been machotrout's review of Lucy Pearman.

I'm an occasional visitor so forgive me if I don't come back and check on this for four days. It doesn't mean I don't care for each and every one of you.

DrGreggles

Finally on my way!

Currently in a pub in a place called Hollingsworth*.
First show is 1pm tomorrow**, so I should make it.

*No, me neither
**Fishbowl

hummingofevil

Tone Zone - Agree with everything written previous. Tony back to his steady almost best. Old stuff mixed in with some new (and one superb surprise).

Mary Houlihan - went to see this on recommendation from your mate. On the way in the tech asked me "Why are there so many of you here?". I clearly misunderstood the tone of her voice but now I get what she meant.

I think my review can best be described from my girlfriend's mid-show whisper

"Is this a joke? Are we being filmed? Are we going to be on Netflix?"

I laughed at that. Put it this way on one level it is mesmerising. If that level is intentional or not my brain couldn't possibly comprehend right now.

sevendaughters

I'll tell him you went and pass on your comments!

hummingofevil

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 10, 2019, 04:10:29 PM
I'll tell him you went and pass on your comments!

We have sacked off the shows we were planning and gone to pub and genuinely can't convince ourselves it wasn't a work of high-art anti-comedy. I'll elaborate if you want but if you tried to write a show that was high-art anti-comedy you would struggle to beat it. On that level I have a real soft spot for it. She didn't even have a bucket. Just cupped her hands. That HAS to be a joke right?

WestHill

Terry Alderton has announced a last minute run at Monkey Barrel 4.

CaledonianGonzo

Mrs CG has bailed so got spares for Garry Starr @ Underbelly and Kitson @ Summerhall this evening if anyone is in the mix.

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 10, 2019, 04:52:35 PMShe didn't even have a bucket. Just cupped her hands.

This just made me laugh out loud, what an image!

hummingofevil

Stewart Lee - very much a work in progress but less fun than some of the other WIPs of his I have seen. Without spoiling too much the strongest theme is based around an Alan Bennett review of his and the ending is really strong. I'm not sure whether to even comment on this as it is simutaneously part of the show and don't want to be seen to be judgemental but he is not looking well. I genuinely worried about his health when he walked on.

Courtney Pauroso - ah man. This is hard to explain.... I'll do it later.. continued. Continued...the problem with this is a problem with most of the other shows I have seen so far which it that it doesn't really have anything to say. Maybe I am a bit dead inside or it just a reaction to the gradual development of things from Brigit Christie to the #MeToo Fringe to last year's themes of finding (or at least questioning) the grey area but it feels like there is no voice. My suspicion is that is a perfectly reasonable reflection of the state of the world where the cunts have truely taken over and facts have become mearly opinions.

More specifically the narrative is fairly standard but could be done really well but for me the strength of the performer is in her acting. The Doctor Brown/Nate style audience interaction is neither shocking or interesting enough to be really engaging and the reviews elsewhere bemoaning the lack of effort from the stooge is harsh - they really don't have much to play with. I really would have been better dropping the clowing stuff and focusing on telling an emotion story. One major thing I noticed was how integral sound design was to Doctor Brown and Palamides work is and this really lacks it. Credit to her as she is a decent performer though. She has a great show in her I suspect.

Colt Cabana and John Hastings - Zoe Coombes Marr was a pleasant surprise guest and as usual, the star of the show is Cabana but it really is a fun riot. It will never be a 5* show but is will never drop lower than an entertaining 3.5. The Toro Yano of the Edinburgh Fringe. Which for me is a huge compliment.

Project X - Went upstairs to Monkey Barrel for their weekend late night show. I quite liked Amelia (?) from Wimbledon doing urban style comedy songs but the rest of it was utter dogshit. But... enjoyable dogshit. It really felt like an open mic for "experimental" style comics but I have to say I quite enjoyed the mirth free hour I spent in there. It was genuinely quite relaxing and noone was being a dick watching act after act get absolutely nothing. Maybe that was the X factor of it all.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: hummingofevil on August 11, 2019, 01:38:32 AM
Stewart Lee - very much a work in progress but less fun than some of the other WIPs of his I have seen. Without spoiling too much the strongest theme is based around an Alan Bennett review of his and the ending is really strong. I'm not sure whether to even comment on this as it is simutaneously part of the show and don't want to be seen to be judgemental but he is not looking well. I genuinely worried about his health when he walked on.

I was at this. Enjoyed it. And yes I know what you're saying about him not looking well; not even taking the piss when I say he looks a bit like Orson Welles.

* further reviews to follow, just got in from an 'interesting' bus journey where the (relief) driver was guessing his way from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

"here, do we usually stop at the in-town bus stops?"
"nah"

Blinder Data

Going for one day a week today. Sorry to turn it into a "help me sort my Fringe out" but do you need to book ahead for free shows like Mary Houlihan or is turning up (and queuing) required?

Seeing Kitson, probably Houlihan, possibly ZCM. Enjoying all your reviews guys, cheers for the recs

EDIT: I think I answered my own q re: Houlihan - edfringe.com says it's non-ticketed so you just turn up

CaledonianGonzo

You'll need to queue for anything with good word of mouth. Yesterday was beyond busy.

Sebastian Cobb

If they dish out raffle tickets to get in, sometimes you can charm someone into giving you a ticket if you claim you have something beforehand and worry you won't have time to queue. *taps nose*

Quisby

Project X - Went upstairs to Monkey Barrel for their weekend late night show. I quite liked Amelia (?) from Wimbledon doing urban style comedy songs but the rest of it was utter dogshit.
[/quote]

hummingofevil - Think that was Amelia Bayler, a regular on the Glasgow circuit.

Sebastian Cobb

Now I live in Glasgow I can spread it over a few weekends rather than camping and rattling it out in a few days. I'd managed to organise things such that yesterday was mostly stuff at the stand.

Micheal Legge's Midday show was good, nice to see him moving from the small Stand 2 to the main one, it was a pretty disjointed rant, he managed to get a few blows in at Graham Linehan as well.
Spoiler alert
I don't know if it happened every time, but an audience member joined in with him topless at the end during the iggy pop bit.
[close]

I followed that up with Seymore Mace's show, I tend to do this every year, he's always good, although this one seemed a bit more disjointed than usual. Also he did some prop stuff on the floor which was basically impossible for anyone not in the front couple of rows to see. I'm not sure you needed to see it though.

Then I went and saw Simon Munnery's show which was fantastic, dunno how he kept it up for an hour, and also props for seemingly downing a pint of chickpea juice mixed with Strongbow.

Then I saw David Kay's show, I'd seen a wip/early showing of this about 3 months ago in Glasgow, I think the nature of the way he witters means no two shows are the same though, it was nice to see some old grannies in pissing themselves at it.]

Then I saw Stewart Lee's Wok In Progress, which looks quite promising, a great routine about Alan Bennet and some funny pelters at Ricky Gervais.

Finally I saw Kitson's thing at Summerhall Roundabout, it was good but I was a bit knackered and pissed (I'd been out all day!) and couldn't keep up with the story he was weaving between different time periods.

Blue Jam

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 17, 2019, 12:13:28 PM
Pre-show beverage?

Dr Beat and I are heading out to Kitson now. I am wearing my Pearson's Brass Hand Oil t-shirt, say hello!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 11, 2019, 03:21:18 PM
Dr Beat and I are heading out to Kitson now. I am wearing my Pearson's Brass Hand Oil t-shirt, say hello!

Which establishment?

Blue Jam

We may make it to the Nightcap nextdoor, or we may just head to The Stand if we don't get there early enough for a drink... Dr Beat is wearing a blue polo shirt, say hello if you spot us!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 11, 2019, 04:03:17 PM
We may make it to the Nightcap nextdoor, or we may just head to The Stand if we don't get there early enough for a drink... Dr Beat is wearing a blue polo shirt, say hello if you spot us!

Just got in the queue.
Blue (soaking wet) Kraftwerk t-shirt...

Blue Jam

Ahhhhh! I spotted you! We're in the Nightcap now but not for long...

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 11, 2019, 06:10:59 PM
Ahhhhh! I spotted you! We're in the Nightcap now but not for long...

Phone only just dry enough to use again.

Headed near New Town theatre for Lee.
Ewins and more Kitson to follow!