Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2019

Started by Malcy, January 31, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

And wow. Grand hall for the podcast.

Timothy

Things I did never ever expect to see:
Russell Howard's work in progress show is on at both Assembly and the Hive!

DrGreggles

The Monkey Barrel seems to have gone all out this year.

Sebastian Cobb

Bagged a Stew thing, will have to see Legge for sure as well

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Timothy on April 18, 2019, 12:35:18 PM
Stewart Lee work in progress at a large room is 15 pounds.
Both have no right to complain about the state of the Fringe anymore.

Yes, I have bought two tickets so I have little right to complain either but Russell Howard's WIP show is only 7.50 for comparison.

DrGreggles

Might go for the Sunday night Stew.

Timothy

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 18, 2019, 01:26:53 PM
Yes, I have bought two tickets so I have little right to complain either but Russell Howard's WIP show is only 7.50 for comparison.

And 5,- at the Hive!

At least Lee brings a brand new well thought out work in progress show.
16 pounds for a Herring podcast is just insane.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Timothy on April 18, 2019, 01:32:00 PM

Which will then be released as audio for free, no doubt.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Timothy on April 18, 2019, 01:32:00 PM
And 5,- at the Hive!

At least Lee brings a brand new well thought out work in progress show.

Yeah I'm sure Lee will be twice (or thrice!) as good as Howard anyway but Herring is off his head.  I think Lee (and Howard) will both sell out (or close to).  Herring seems to enjoy playing to a half empty Assembly Rooms venues and then moaning about losing money.  At least he isn't doing an expensive play about Rasputin as well this time.

Am I going crazy or is it 16 pounds for unknown guests?

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 18, 2019, 01:15:09 PM
The Monkey Barrel seems to have gone all out this year.

Can you recommend anything?  I see Tony Law and Coombs-Marr but I've never seen anyone else on their listings.

JCR

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 18, 2019, 01:26:53 PM

Which is itself a rise of £2.5 as he charged a fiver the last two times.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where Monkey Barrel 3, 4 & 5 are?

Timothy

Howards show at Hive is 5 pounds. Assembly 7.5.

And yeah it seems Herrings guests are as of yet unknown.

JCR

Should point out Russell Howard's Assembly show last year sold out quickly, so anyone thinking about it should buy tickets now.

Blue Jam

Sebastian Cobb

^ I think he's there every year. I've seen him several times and he's always been good.

I saw a Herring podcast last year (the one with that guy off the one show who got caught sending mucky texts and some kids tv presenter) and it was actually good 'being there', bit of an atmosphere and hearing bits that might get cut out. Better than Oh Fuck I'm 50, which I also saw.

RenegadeScrew

I see on previous pages that Kitson has intimated he is going to announce something so I am mainly worried about Spencer Jones.  He doesn't have anything scheduled in August.  Does anyone know anything?

It seems that every time I discover something (that has been at the fringe for years on the trot) they don't come back for years!! 

I enjoyed Trevor Lock last year for the first time (thank you DrGreggles) so I'll actually be surprised if he's playing again this year (apologies to DrGreggles).

JCR

Interesting to see if getting a couple of high profile 2/5 reviews hurts Kitson's ability to sell out instantly. He's probably bulletproof but if he's in the midnight to 2am slot maybe that will get questioned more.

Timothy

Seems Burns is indeed not at the Fringe this year. Cabana will be doing the show with Hasting.

Will miss Burns at the Fringe. Always great shows and chemistry with Colt.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on April 18, 2019, 02:13:35 PM
I see on previous pages that Kitson has intimated he is going to announce something so I am mainly worried about Spencer Jones.  He doesn't have anything scheduled in August.  Does anyone know anything?

I know he's doing work in progress of a new show at the Machynlleth festival so I'd be surprised if he didn't make it up to the fringe. https://machcomedyfest.co.uk/show/2019/spencer-jones-the-things-we-leave-behind-work-in-progress/ - I also saw him on a mixed bill a couple of weeks ago and he did some new stuff there, and was bloody amazing, so will definitely be worth seeing if he does go.

Malcy

Quite a few shows added today that have got my interest. Only at E on the list so far but Arabella Weir could be good and Russell T Davies is doing a talk so defo going to that.

Timothy

Just saw a Tweet that said

QuoteGot @edfringe tickets for every RHEFP(named as RHLSTP on the fringe site)

That's 336 pounds. That's quite a lot of money considering they are released for free a day later.

Quisby

Got a ticket for Stewart Lee on the Sunday. Expensive for a work in progress maybe but the last one I saw him do was great. In some ways more enjoyable than the finished show, a more relaxed and playful vibe.

Now I just need Caledonian Gonzo to tell me what else to see that day.

RenegadeScrew

Here are all todays shows (and last 7 days) put into one single spreadsheet and sorted alphabetically

https://ufile.io/d25rafzp

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Timothy on April 18, 2019, 03:07:29 PM
Just saw a Tweet that said

That's 336 pounds. That's quite a lot of money considering they are released for free a day later.

The Return of Colin?

JCR

Quote from: Malcy on April 18, 2019, 02:58:55 PM
Quite a few shows added today that have got my interest. Only at E on the list so far but Arabella Weir could be good and Russell T Davies is doing a talk so defo going to that.

Thanks for mentioning the RTD talk, I hope Frank Skinner is the interviewer, as the similar talk he did with S. Moffat in 2013 was a really good laugh.

Malcy

Quote from: JCR on April 18, 2019, 05:10:07 PM
Thanks for mentioning the RTD talk, I hope Frank Skinner is the interviewer, as the similar talk he did with S. Moffat in 2013 was a really good laugh.

Yeah that would be good. With him being at the fringe anyway it could be a possibility.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Quisby on April 18, 2019, 03:18:25 PM
Got a ticket for Stewart Lee on the Sunday.

Pre/post show drinks?

Quisby

Noticed Simon Munnery is doing Alan Parker Urban Warrior. Farewell Tour. Will probably try to get to that. 3:20 at The Stand.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Quisby on April 18, 2019, 06:44:24 PM
Noticed Simon Munnery is doing Alan Parker Urban Warrior. Farewell Tour. Will probably try to get to that. 3:20 at The Stand.

Yep, got a Legge/Mace/Munnery run lined up for one day.